Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
It doesn't seem that way to me. You have to be very very fortunate, like the OP, to have an engine survive a failure. I think that I will take Jake's advice and put it in when I need a clutch.
I made a bad choice of words...what I meant was that Jake's bearing presents an option for those who want to avoid an IMS bearing failure
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Um, no. You have just defined 'median'. The 'average' specimen in a data set can be anywhere in the spectrum, or even nowhere. A bit surprised by this.

Sorry to hijack such an entertaining thread, but I can't resist a high horse...
No high horse, just fact.

so, why we're at it..........YOU are incorrect (but are also "correct"....so keep reading ). I'm sure you read up on this before you posted it, didn't you? Median has nothing to do with the average (mathematical mean) which is what I was referring to. To help you come down from YOUR high horse as well so we can chat at the same level.......simply put, a median is just the MIDDLE number in an entire data set. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I will give you this...technically, you are correct. By default, the median give us the middle value which results in a value that 1/2 is above and 1/2 is below (but the 50th percenitle as well) so I can see how you interpret that.

HERE'S THE KEY.......in the context of what we are talking about (IQ)....it sits on a normal distrubtion with a mean (average) and b/c it's normalized, the median will equal the mean. We don't use median in IQ as the purpose of median is to remove to outliers from the mix.

This is obviously much more complex than the face value we are paying it here in a forum plus I need a drink. So.....I offer you the same. There are extras seats in the course.....come on by anytime for the full interpretation

p.s. read up on normal distributions as well

p.s.s. it's ok, we ALL will make an jackass of ourselves, statistically speaking

WAIT A SEC........ARE YOU JUST SCREWING WITH ME?!?!??!?!?!?!!?

Looks like I will concede you are correct as well so we owe eachother a beer. Care to share it after my stats lecture?

Last edited by LVDell; 01-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wait a sec, wait the hell was this thread about anyway?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
As I was reading this thread my PC started making a loud metallic knocking sound. I immediately shut it down, and now I'm using my laptop.
DO NOT START THAT BACK UP. I called the manf for you. They said if you are willing to commit 3K for us to "look at it" They "Might" help out with the 15000$ repair. Fare enough? When do you want us to tear it down?

By the way we have 6 of them in our shop with the same issue. But their is no issue with it at this time.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
DO NOT START THAT BACK UP. I called the manf for you. They said if you are willing to commit 3K for us to "look at it" They "Might" help out with the 15000$ repair. Fare enough? When do you want us to tear it down?

By the way we have 6 of them in our shop with the same issue. But their is no issue with it at this time.
Damn, that is some kind of expensive PC
Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something tells me the information and education portions of this thread are history.

All I'll say is the 10% rule is certainly applicable here... That is 10% of any group will bitch, moan and complain about anything they possibly can... Another 10% thinks that everyone wants to rip them off thats a Vendor, needless to say those people can spend their money elsewhere. (probably with someone that will rip them off and doesn't even own a Porsche)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not history. Just come before post 291
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually, Dell, I didn't have to read up on anything. I'm pretty comfortable with my statistics bona fides, after 30 years of working with market research and polling data (although, being in marketing, I'm probably a lot more wild-*** about interpretation than you are )

I was calling you out on a much more basic level than the one you responded at:

An average is a set of values totaled and then divided by the number of values.

A median is the point in a spectrum of values at which there are an equal number above and below. It's essentially the 50th percentile.

So, for example, let's suppose we had five guys score their satisfaction with a Porsche upgrade. Four give it a 1, and one gives it a 10. The average score is 2.8, which is some distance from the 50th percentile.

Setting aside the fact that the margin of error in this case is +/- a squillion percentage points, it demonstrates how incredibly misleading an average can be. A more useful way to characterize this data would be to say, "4 out of 5 users hate this upgrade, and 1 out of 5 absolutely loves it."

So, you see, this discussion wasn't entirely irrelevant after all. Heh.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So we have more in common that I would have guessed.

I can't type anything more academic as my brain is starting to seep out my ear. I'm up against a deadline on a research paper edits and desperately need a drink......

So.....how about that beer?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Its a car folks. We have a choice; retrofit it or not.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Retrofit what?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Retrofit what?
Your lectures of course. Some people just don't understand.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So we have more in common that I would have guessed.

I can't type anything more academic as my brain is starting to seep out my ear. I'm up against a deadline on a research paper edits and desperately need a drink......

So.....how about that beer?
Done. As a matter of fact, since I'm working from home today, I'm actually going to have one for real.

Funny, before I met you guys, "the intermediate shaft" was how I described my divorce experience. Which, I hasten to add, was a lot more expensive. I have yet to buy my Porsche a house.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Done. As a matter of fact, since I'm working from home today, I'm actually going to have one for real.

Funny, before I met you guys, "the intermediate shaft" was how I described my divorce experience. Which, I hasten to add, was a lot more expensive. I have yet to buy my Porsche a house.
Bruce,

I would have dropped the adjective and capitalized the noun....
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
Your lectures of course. Some people just don't understand.
Trying to describe my students?

First round is definitely on me

Quick Reply: i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!