Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Where are you investing your money?

You think a 13.33% total return on your money in three years is unbeatable?

Do yourself a favor and sell your car. The stress it is putting on you is not worth it. I cannot believe that someone is afraid to drive their car, a car that is not experiencing any symptoms of a problem, 200 miles to have preventative maintenance performed on the car. Experimental preventative maintenance I might add.

Life is FAR too short to live in fear this way.
Stess? No stress. I bought the car fully knowing I was going to have this done. I also bought it thinking this is going to drag these cars below 10K in the next 5-7 years. So I dont have the stress... I paid 17K for my toy and I have my title in hand.

By the way Im from Reading, Birdsboro actually.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Where are you investing your money?

You think a 13.33% total return on your money in three years is unbeatable?
I'd take it. Over the last three years, it would have beaten the Dow. Also, bonds. Also, real estate.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I'd take it. Over the last three years, it would have beaten the Dow. Also, bonds. Also, real estate.

Amen.

I was thinking the same thing myself as I was typing. It's been a trying couple of years.

Here's to hoping the future is brighter.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Amen.

I was thinking the same thing myself as I was typing. It's been a trying couple of years.

Here's to hoping the future is brighter.
I was wondering where you were going. But I am not big on the market so i had no fire power. Good on ya... Ill look you up for a fun run when I come see the folks.

Im going to sign off this tread. My very strong opinion seems to be upsetting people.
I will leave with:

I think this is an upgrade worth every penny and i am going to have it done ASAP.

Last edited by Shark Attack; 01-12-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one should be afraid to drive their car... People fall dead from aneurysms every day with no other health issues but that didn't stop me from climbing out of bed at 0400 this morning.

I own a a Boxster and a 996, these were the first cars to ever have the IMS retrofit done to them and neither have one of my updated engines installed (I am building a 3.8R for my 911 in spare time now) and have not seen a failure of any of the 20 different documented modes... Both had perfect IMS bearings when I extracted them to try out the retrofit early in 2009.

Anyone driving around afraid is not only a safety hazard to themselves but also the other motorists they share the road with. I hold nothing back and share everything we can about the failures of these engines, because thats reality and its what we experience everyday.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasted $2k on an extended warranty when I bought my car 3 years ago. The warranty expired with zero problems. If I took that $2k and had the IMS upgrade done, my car would be in much better shape today, having the possiblity of an IMS failure reduced considerably.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack

I think this is an upgrade worth every penny...
I do, too. Was just trying to lighten the mood.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
I was wondering where you were going. But I am not big on the market so i had no fire power. Good on ya... Ill look you up for a fun run when I come see the folks.

Im going to sign off this tread. My very strong opinion seems to be upsetting people.
I will leave with:

I think this is an upgrade worth every penny and i am going to have it done ASAP.
Sounds good, I'll buy you a beer as long as there is no IMS talk.

Do your parents live in SE PA? If so definitely look me up and well have a couple of Yuenglings.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well guys the dealer wanted 15k for a new engine, after charging me 180$ to tell that. a fellow rennlister recommended a local shop that do IMS retrofit, sent him the car last night and i get the call that the engine looks good and can be saved.
great news!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H964
well guys the dealer wanted 15k for a new engine, after charging me 180$ to tell that. a fellow rennlister recommended a local shop that do IMS retrofit, sent him the car last night and i get the call that the engine looks good and can be saved.
great news!!!!!!
That's awesome!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great news!!!!!!
Awesome news.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I wasted $2k on an extended warranty when I bought my car 3 years ago. The warranty expired with zero problems. If I took that $2k and had the IMS upgrade done, my car would be in much better shape today, having the possiblity of an IMS failure reduced considerably.
I don't know that I agree with you.
A bumper to bumper warranty for $2K (if that indeed what is was) sounds like a more logical use of funds than replacing the bearing.

The sensors, fuel systems, and other associated parts can be mighty expensive for this car if you can't perform the work yourself.

Once my CPO is up, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go.
The bumper to bumper certainly has the potential for a bigger cost savings.

"Yeah! I have the new IMS bearing!" and then trans bearing fails....
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

great news!!!!!!

That is great news! Congrats! Not to sound like a negative nancy but, did he pull the motor that quick and confirm that all is ok except for the bearing?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
I don't know that I agree with you.
A bumper to bumper warranty for $2K (if that indeed what is was) sounds like a more logical use of funds than replacing the bearing.

The sensors, fuel systems, and other associated parts can be mighty expensive for this car if you can't perform the work yourself.

Once my CPO is up, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go.
The bumper to bumper certainly has the potential for a bigger cost savings.

"Yeah! I have the new IMS bearing!" and then trans bearing fails....
That's my thinking, having had exteded warranties on the last half dozen cars (BMW, Volvo, M/B) in the family that all repaid me more than their cost. And five different dealerships and two independent shops had absolutely no problem getting paid. One call to the 800-number for authorization, never a claim denied, and they got paid on the spot over the phone with a credit card just as promised. Never had an engine or trans go however, so I can't say if big-buck repairs would've been a problem.

Unfortunately, all the warranty companies I've dealt with and contacted are adamant that doing an aftermarket retrofit will void the warranty should that part fail and cause other damage. So doing the LN retrofit on my car I would have to be 100% certain it won't fail. If LN offered to pick up the tab for a new engine should their retrofit bearing fail, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

Interesting coincidence, someone spotted this and sent me the link:

Mark Wahlberg takes taxi home after car problems
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

great news!!!!!!

That is great news!!!

If it was indeed your IMS bearing that failed your case seems to be an anomaly according to the failure modes presented by some here.

The fact that you had time to turn down the radio to hear the noise better before the engine shut down by itself. Then, you restarted the engine and heard strange noises before shutting it down and having it towed. Very interesting…

Best of luck to you with the repairs.

Quick Reply: i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!