Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the 3.4l engines more prone to break compared to the 3.6 ?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Are the 3.4l engines more prone to break compared to the 3.6 ?
Form what I understand No. To answer your other question, there is a company that makes a retrofit ceramic bearing. Its still a 10-12 hr job to replace and the kit is about 600. But even so, that is A LOT cheaper than another engine.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Briefly the IMS is a shaft the runs the length of the engine and resides directly under the crankshaft and is chain driven by the crankshaft.

The IMS in turn drives the exhaust camshafts in each head. These in turn spin the intake camshafts.

The cams turn at half the crankshaft speed so some sort of speed reduction is necessary. Furthermore Porsche engineers believed that directly driving the camshaft from the crank was not a good/workable solution, so the IMS (intermediate shaft) was chosen.

If the IMS bearing fails the IMS loses positional and location integrity. IOWs, the end where bearing resides moves about.

This movement can result in either the chain from the crank skipping/jumping a tooth or two which means the cams are not in time with the pistons moving up and down in the cylinders.

When this occurs valves and pistons make contact with disasterous results.

Or one or both chains from the IMS to the exhaust camshafts skip or jump a tooth or more which again results in the valves opening/closing at the wrong time relative to the pistons' movement up and down in the cylinders.

In another scenario the crankshaft chain snaps which means the IMS does not turn at all and the valves remain in whatever position they were in and pistons and valves make serious contact.

Also, in this case with the IMS also driving both the scavenge and high pressure oil pumps and with the IMS not turning there is no oil being pumped so the engine runs with just residual oil and no oil pressure to speak of so.

Or a cam chain snaps and one head's exhaust and intake cams stop turning. Again valves and pistons make contact.

6 of one half dozen of another.

There is no real escaping serious engine damage in the event of an IMS failure unless at the first signs the engine is shut off and not even cranked until the cause of the problem is sorted out.

Even shutting off the engine right away may not save the engine from destruction. It depends upon the severity of the IMS bearing failure, how fast this progresses, and the events that follow.

I've seen one 996 engine -- I have pics and posted one which shows the IMS and the end that houses the IMS bearing and which from the condition of the bearing races it is clear the bearing failed -- that it turned out upon inspection had suffered an IMS bearing failure but the driver shut the engine off as soon as noise was heard.

The car was taken to a Porsche dealer and upon teardown the engine's IMS bearing had clearly failed. An inspection of the engine found that the damage was confined to the IMS and its bearing and one chain guide/tensioner.

The engine was deemed salvageable and was resurrrected by a tech at the dealership.

I spoke with the tech and he told me -- this at least a year maybe closer to 2 years back -- that Porsche had only recently given the dealership's permission to do this. Before the engine was removed from the car, and a new engine ordered. The new engine installed and the old one put in the crate the new one came in and shipped back to the factory.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thank you very much, I get it.... Its kinda like losing a timing belt on the 928... But does a lot more damage.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hey, talk to the guy that owned my s500 before me. He had it for 3.5 years, paid $115k, and I bought it for $40k.

modern cars hold no value
Luxury cars don't hold value. Never had. Thats his fault for buying it. High perfomance cars do traditionaly hold a little more value.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Porsche will never release this, doing so would be admission that there is a problem and that they recognize it.

When I disassembled his engine the IMS bearing was flawless and had no signs of impending failure.
So Jake, what causes this bearing failure in some cars, and not in others? Luck in the way the bearing was made, more frequent oil changes?

I'd love to have you put in your new bearing, too bad I don't live in GA!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few more questions for Jake (more 997 based but bear with me):

1. I've yet to find a definitive answer regarding when Porsche "upgraded" to the new style IMS bearing/IMS. I've heard some claim late 2005 and some claim mid 2006. The reason I ask is that for those of use looking at 997s, I've read that the later IMS design is NOT upgradable with your redesigned bearing. Seems as though a purchaser might be better off with the earlier design which is upgradable. Or perhaps the later bearing/IMS design is more reliable? (while I'd like to pretend this is true, I'm guessing these car are still too new to know).

2. What other mode of failures should one be aware of in the later engines. If I buy a 997, I'd like to address these before I drive the car.

TIA,
Joe
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
So Jake, what causes this bearing failure in some cars, and not in others? Luck in the way the bearing was made, more frequent oil changes?

I'd love to have you put in your new bearing, too bad I don't live in GA!

Since the bearing is sealed and there is no rhyme or reason to the failures and very little consistent trend date my scientific wild *** guess would be just how well each individual bearing was manufactured...

....thats nothing more than a wild *** guess.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a reason $70k to $90k cars are now selling so cheaply. The market has factored in the cost of repairing IMS failures, cracked heads, and the other catastrophic failures caused by superior German engineering.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Surf Twang
There is a reason $70k to $90k cars are now selling so cheaply. The market has factored in the cost of repairing IMS failures, cracked heads, and the other catastrophic failures caused by superior German engineering.
Are you saying Porsches are depreciating faster than other high end vehicles?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is any body rebuilding these engines, are the parts available?
Seems to me I'd try my luck with an old school race machine shop before I shelled out that kinda dough to a stealer, and just make it a long diy project.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will every engine eventually fail, or only some ?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
rb101
Racer

Originally Posted by Vifa
Will every engine eventually fail, or only some ?
Yes, everything mechanical and or electrical will eventually fail (computers, launch vehicles, trains, planes and automobiles). Will your 996? 100%, yes it will, eventually, but you can take steps to reduce the risk, you can't eliminate them, but you can reduce it. Why do you think there are FAA mandatory aircraft maintenance and rebuilds hours, to help find worn/fatiguing parts and replace them. I just did a 105K miles maintenance that replaced all the chain guides, chain adjusters, RMS, IMS bearing/seal, water pump, AOS, and clutch. Why, because these items are known to fail and when they fail, bad things happen. 105K is a lot of miles, and now hopefully I can, with normal maintenance get another 95K and then think about doing a full rebuild.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

I think he was talking about IMSF, Not "in general" I think he is smart enough to know that eventually, his engine will fail for some reason. But I think his queastion is more asking if every one is going to fail from IMSF.

My thought is no, you always get the one that runs forever... BUT, From what I am reading, I feel this is going to be the end of the road for a lot of them... I think pushing 90% if you dont take the proper precautions.

Originally Posted by rb101
Yes, everything mechanical and or electrical will eventually fail (computers, launch vehicles, trains, planes and automobiles). Will your 996? 100%, yes it will, eventually, but you can take steps to reduce the risk, you can't eliminate them, but you can reduce it. Why do you think there are FAA mandatory aircraft maintenance and rebuilds hours, to help find worn/fatiguing parts and replace them. I just did a 105K miles maintenance that replaced all the chain guides, chain adjusters, RMS, IMS bearing/seal, water pump, AOS, and clutch. Why, because these items are known to fail and when they fail, bad things happen. 105K is a lot of miles, and now hopefully I can, with normal maintenance get another 95K and then think about doing a full rebuild.

Last edited by Shark Attack; 01-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake please tell us the IMS bearing is not made by the same company that makes the Wheel bearings for porsche....
Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Dang you people. Now I'm scared to take my car out of the garage to run to the bookstore!

Quick Reply: i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!