Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Jake, Not sure if you read my post or not. being you seemed to skip my questions all together. I understand all the above things. However I want to do my best to make sure the car is going to make the trip to the shop for the replacment.
Flatbed it.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Macster,
I concur with your prior post, BUT all too often I talk to owners who believe that just because they have kept their Porsche serviced that the IMS failure will not happen to them. (similar to what the OP in this thread stated)

Only a couple of times last year did I talk to owners of failed engines who said their Porsche had not been well maintained prior to it's failure.

The bearing beginning to fail is generally what compromises the bearing's seal- Thats when oil starts entering the bearing and the hollow shaft, then you end up with the IMS leak of death, but not all failures have this or the same symptoms.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The bearing beginning to fail is generally what compromises the bearing's seal- Thats when oil starts entering the bearing and the hollow shaft, then you end up with the IMS leak of death...
Looks like this. This is what we found when we opened it up to install the bearing upgrade. There had been no leakage visible from outside.

Last edited by BruceP; 03-03-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Thats a very early one, but that nasty black oil starting to drip from the 4 O clock bolt is a classic. If the oil that leaks onto the floor under the car is darker than whats on the dipstick thats when the trouble really begins.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
jferrer1
AutoX

Thumbs up signs & symptoms

Jake,
I and many appreciate the rich discussion. Can we assume that if the engine-transmission junction has ANY sign of an oil drip (moisture, wetness, drips) that we are running a risk? Can we also assume that if the same junction is bone dry that we should continue to monitor as we do the rest of the car and get back to basics (driving the car)? Do you routinely see failed engines with absolutely NO visible signs at the junction? I am guessing probably not. Probably no owner wants to admit he never looked under his car for signs of potential engine failures once the bearing fails. My take on this informative thread is kick the tires, look under your engine and run your engine judiciously.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Macster,
I concur with your prior post, BUT all too often I talk to owners who believe that just because they have kept their Porsche serviced that the IMS failure will not happen to them. (similar to what the OP in this thread stated)

Only a couple of times last year did I talk to owners of failed engines who said their Porsche had not been well maintained prior to it's failure.

The bearing beginning to fail is generally what compromises the bearing's seal- Thats when oil starts entering the bearing and the hollow shaft, then you end up with the IMS leak of death, but not all failures have this or the same symptoms.
So the bearing seal failing and allowing oil to enter the bearing is the beginning of the end?

Interesting.

Not bragging mind you, but just noting for the record this must mean my 02 Boxster with 227K miles still has an original and intact IMS bearing seal?

If so, what could have possibly kept the seal intact all these years, and miles? Could it just be the luck of the draw?

I will also point out that my car has received 5K mile oil/filter services from day one. (Actually, I treated it to an early oil/filter service at 2K miles, then another 3K miles later, at 5K miles, then 5K miles thereafter.)

Not leading up to anything in particular, just asking, no more like thinking out loud.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Looks like this. This is what we found when we opened it up to install the bearing upgrade. There had been no leakage visible from outside.
That engine I guess just a few revs from looking like this?

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-08-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

If the engine is making any sounds, do NOT fire it up. I haven't read any of your posts that state any of the IMSF symptoms thus far.

When a bearing has began to fail, makes noise or has IMS drip syndrome (very nasty black oil discharge from the bellhouse area) the engine's life can be measured in seconds or minutes. Once the bearing gets bad enough to alter cam timing by 16 degrees the valves will contact the pistons and the engine looks like 3 mile island inside all at once. I have one of the worst IMSF engines we have seen thus far ready to come apart this week, wait till you see these pics!

Shark, I answered as many of your questions as I can here on Rennlist.
Jake, Thanks I wasnt trying to be an ***. I just need to know what I am looking for. Thank you this was informative.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Thats a very early one, but that nasty black oil starting to drip from the 4 O clock bolt is a classic. If the oil that leaks onto the floor under the car is darker than whats on the dipstick thats when the trouble really begins.
Do you have to take the engine out of the car to do the work?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mabuhay!!!!
Yes I believe so.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Do you have to take the engine out of the car to do the work?
Depends, They make a retro fit kit that can be done in the car, then they make an entire upgrade kit that requires the engine to come out of the car and the IMS to be machined to take the new bearing. So pick your flavor!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Poured what seemed like a quart of oil out of the shaft when they removed it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
That engine I guess just a few revs from looking like this?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Never know for sure, I guess, but I was glad I had the work done.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 AM
996-Sam
3rd Gear

Does anyone know of a shop that has experience performing the IMS retrofit for my 2000 996 in the Seattle area?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Yes, the retrofit can be done in-car for any M96 powered Porsche up to 2006.

In the Washington area I recommend SCAN Automotive, they are one of our partners there and have done the IMSR successfully.

Quick Reply: i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!