Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Official "It Happened to me Today" thread - Porsche Stories - good, bad, funny, sad

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Well, it appears to be another German car. And it looks like he left a space between the two cars. Could be worse...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

looks like the trucks taking up 2 spaces..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes, thankfully he did leave about three feet, but I still don't get it.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably figured you were keeping HIS door safe. I often do the same.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had this happen several times so I started taking a different approach.

I now try to park as close to the entrance of where I'm going as possible, sometimes taking up two spots or even parking illegally (quick trips).

Some thoughts on human response to my behavior.

Perhaps people think that because it is a Porsche the car has a "privileged" parking space, therefore requiring more care than a beater.

Generally speaking I've found when returning to the car that more people are standing around looking at it. Perhaps because of this people are less likely to hit pedestrians looking at the car and would be more careful parking or opening their doors while parked adjacent to mine.

The result? I feel like an a**hole sometimes doing this but it seems to have kept this strange phenomenon from occurring, and as a side benefit I'm getting less exercise than before. I can't tell you whether or not my car has had fewer dings than parking out in the boonies.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Probably figured you were keeping HIS door safe. I often do the same.
Possibly. The Mercedes looked brand new.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 AM
am_ver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often do the same.

Best situation - find a spot where no other cars can park - garages sometimes have these.
Second best - corner spot; preferably with the other cars passenger door opening into your door (the driver side door will always open - there are less chances of the car having a passenger)
last option - if you have to park between two spots - you will be better off parking next to nice cars than beaters. Logic - people with nice cars tend to care more about their cars and cars in general and therefore less likely to damage your car. Although, if you have a choice, sedans are better than coupe/verts since they have smaller doors.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
I now try to park as close to the entrance of where I'm going as possible, sometimes taking up two spots .
Gotta tell you in the NY/NJ area this is the best way to get your car keyed. especially taking up 2 spots near an entrance. It really ticks people off and rightfully so since parking spots can be hard to come by.

I will take my chances out in the boonies.
Sometimes I miss my old daily driver Saab, It was a nice car but I really did not care where I parked it. Sometimes I would squeeze it in next to the guy taking up 2 spots
Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Default "Porsche Driving Experience"

Here's a story of my drive over our local mountain pass from the Willamette Valley into the high desert of Bend. I let my 20 year old son drive my 2001 C4 (H&R Springs, Porsche Cup Sway bars, 996 Turbo Break upgrade, Fabspeed Headers Dansk mufflers and TruFlow intake with Michelin Pilot "N" rated PS2's) from home to about 40 miles up to the pass over the cascades down into Bend, he has to drive the speed limit so figured he could enjoy the first part of our trip in the area which is heavily patrolled by State and County police. Once past most of the speed traps etc. I took over driving and proceeded at the speed of traffic for another 10 miles or so, at this point I look in the mirror and say to my son "I think we have a Ferrari behind us... cool". Then he looked casually over his shoulder and informed me it was "one of those new Porsches, a Panamera"? Yes, it was and something else new and shinny behind that. Next thing I know the Panamara S flew by us followed by what I then knew was a Carrara 4S both 2011 with California plates, reeling from this the next thing I see a red Cayman S pulling out to pass following the other two P cars at the speed of heat! Now I can't hold back anymore and drop to 3rd floor it to keep the red cayman in my sights. Behind me now pulling around slower traffic on this two lane mountain road is the fourth of the quartet of very new, very nice Porsches a Cayenne S. We proceeded at a very high rate of speed around the bends along the river pulling out to pass at appropriate places then blowing by all as mountain passing lanes provided two lanes up hill. We followed closely with my 10 year old C4 comfortable in handling and keeping pace even though I was out horse powered by these newer faster cars. What a beautiful sound as we all jump to full throttle to pass slower cars, I'd know several seconds ahead as the roar of the exhaust Panamera, the C4 and Cayman gave me a few valuable second to drop gears and time my acceleration, these were very good drivers pushing harder than I would have with out their lead, moving to the left lane of our two uphill lanes then clipping the apex of the right hand corner approaching four wheel drift. Silver Panamera, Blue C4S, Red Cayman S, My pewter Carrara 4 then the Cayenne, eventually catching us on the straights unable to keep up with our four faster cars though the corners. (We referred to the Cayenne as "Grumpy" knowing he didn't really want us in the line up.) Eventually and quite quickly we came into Bend slowed a bit by some Radar hits from county police outside of Bend. But probably the most fun I've ever had in a car, the 60 or so miles passed in an instant. We speculated about who these people were and knew with one new car from each step in the Porsche lineup it wasn't likely a group of friends driving together but maybe a photo shoot or maybe in was Jean Lindamood from Automobile Magazine! As we got into town we surveyed the drivers who all seemed to match their cars, coolest was the Cayman driver white hair mid 50's maybe and the only one to give us a head nod and wave after following them over this beautiful mountain pass at sunset. The driver of the Panamera was a younger guy maybe late 30's slick dude, and the driver of the C4S... as my son said it's a "chick"! The woman drove that C4s right up the Panamera tail pipe a couple times only relenting due to some pecking order we didn't understand... she could certainly hold her own behind the wheel. (Oh yeah, it was a Cabriolet.) Grumpy, we finally let around after he flashed his lights on the long straight between Sisters and Bend. The Cayenne driver seemed to again fit the car, mid 40's disheveled. As expected they all filed into the back lot of the Porsche dealership, we passed them by, feeling fortunate for "the drive"!

Next day at the horse show, one of the reasons we were visiting Bend we noticed a Porsche banner and people walking around with "Porsche Driving Experience" badges (We had just had our "Driving Experience" the night before). We asked around and found out that Porsche was offering free test drives in four Porsche cars out at the airport on an autocross style course. Let me guess, a Panamera, Carrara 4s, Cayman S, and a Cayenne! So you ride with a Professional Porsche driver, (We heard the Red Cayman driver drove in LeMans at some point in his carer.) There was also a fifth car introduced to the line up a blue Cayman R that apparently drove down from Seattle. My son and I took the "Driving Experience" and took one hot lap around this course of cones in each of the cars we had followed over the pass the night before. We never acknowledged we had got to know them all the night before but I must say it added to the experience. Cayman S driver told me to keep my eyes on the next corner and never move my hands on the wheel, thumbs above the horizontal bar of the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Very cool to have a 10 year old car that can run with the big boys at least trough the twisty mountain passes, what a blast!
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 PM
LongTail 996
Intermediate

Never happened before, to me -

Yesterday I was hustling out of town for an appointment two hours away. I wasn't driving aggressively, just trying to stay in the left of three interstate lanes and make time. A M-B sedan was also on a similar routine. I kept having black pick-up trucks, one pulling a big landscape trailer, pull over in front of me just as I seeing open road, sometimes I got around them first, some times the M-B got around. We for sure running 10 to 15 mph above prevailing traffic when we were on clear road.

At the last exit before the left lane ended and we went to two lanes, I'm in the right hand lane as the middle & left were full and the left lane end was fast approaching, I was back to average traffic speed at this time. I note coming down the entrance ramp two of the little Fast & Furious wannabe coupe/sedans really moving fast and very close together, the second car just a foot, no more than two, off the leaders bumper. They jink into the right lane from the entrance ramp for just a minute and then after less than 30 seconds they move, very sudden and with no indication to the left lane.

After about 2 miles, my speed has carried me up to them as they were not speeding particularly and so I laid back about 3 to 4 car lengths, well pretty soon, after maybe 30 seconds, the second car, who I am behind starts brake-checking me, no severe but it got my attention. I'm far enough back that I don't need to brake, I just roll out of the throttle and maintain my 3 to 4 car gap, traffic has thinned some at this point from what it was. I get the brake-check about 4 times and I react the same way each time, roll out of the throttle and maintain my gap and speed up to the posted speed limit as they do, after about two miles of this the two cars in tandem, jink to the right lane, again very sudden & no signal, well, there was lot of clear road, I had an appointment two hours away so I dropped a couple of gears and cleared these clowns, as did the M-B sedan.

I pulled back into the right lane and settled down to the speed limit + 5 after I had gapped these two cars. The M-B kept charging and exited after another mile or two. I got back in the left lane at the speed limit +5 when I came over a hill and saw a State Trooper sitting on the shoulder. I lifted slightly but kept on. When I saw him pull into traffic I merged right into a good size gap and kept an eye on him. Sure enough after about 30 more seconds he light it up and jumped on my bumper. I immediately put on my turn signal and slowed to speed limit - 5. There was an exit about 1/2 mile away and I wanted to pull off there, traffic was till pretty thick. Well, the trooper did not like this and pulled up very close and told me to pull over now! I pointed to the exit, which were at by now and pulled over.

As the trooper approached the car I put the windows down and kept my hands on top of the wheel. He came to the passenger side door and said "Sir, we had a report phoned in of you racing." I don't know what caused it, but I exclaimed Strongly "No Sir Trooper, I was not!" "Well, you're the only blue Porsche on the road this afternoon, you were racing a sliver Mercedes." Again I denied this and replied that the M-B had been traveling faster than I was, but had exited at the previous exit. The Trooper then informs me that another Trooper, going Eastbound on the Interstate, had me on radar @ 95mph in a 60 mph zone. So, I started to explain the F&F clowns, when they exited via the exit where we were pulled over and hollered at us and flipped me off. I did not hear or see this, just saw the cars come by and told the Trooper, "There are your racers Trooper, those are guys I trying to clear."

He asks me, did I hear them or see them just now and I replied No, only to note it was the same two cars. So the Trooper tells me, they flipped you off and hollered at us. The he asks for my license, which I give him, and go to pull my Registration and Proof-of-Insurance, but he's already stepping away from the car and says he'll be back. Which turns out to be about 2 to 3 minutes. Now, I've had bunchs of tickets, I drove 1,000 miles a week for about 20 years, and if you cover that much ground, you get the occasional ticket. And I have never had a cop return with a posted summons that fast. So, you can imagine my surprise when he handed me my citation saying "Sir, I have issued you a warning ticket, please do not drive 95 miles per hour on these roads."

This has never happened to me before, a warning ticket, not mention going 95, the fastest I've ever been clocked on the street! WOW!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM
911FM
Racer

You, sir, were very lucky today...

Enjoy it.

FM
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Originally Posted by logray
I now try to park as close to the entrance of where I'm going as possible, sometimes taking up two spots
I feel like an a**hole sometimes doing this
There is a reason you feel that way when doing that.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
LongTail 996
Intermediate

Yes, I was, and am still astonished...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 AM
billyboy
Racer

Default of course ...

So you find a safe parking spot, waaaay off in the corner of the lot and who parks beside you? Yes, of course, the guy who has glued seashells all over his car .........

Last edited by billyboy; 12-14-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billyboy
So you find a safe parking spot, waaaay off in the corner of the lot and who parks beside you? Yes, of course, the guy who has glued seashells all over his car .........
I hate when that happens.

Quick Reply: Official "It Happened to me Today" thread - Porsche Stories - good, bad, funny, sad