Sponsored by:

08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Huhhh??? Isn't 114MPH faster than 110MPH??
Yes, but the 997TT's overall lap time was longer. If the 997TT runs a slower lap time with a faster peak speed, it implies to me that the GT-R is more agile through the corners, because it sure isn't in a straight line.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Yes, but the 997TT's overall lap time was longer. If the 997TT runs a slower lap time with a faster peak speed, it implies to me that the GT-R is more agile through the corners, because it sure isn't in a straight line.
Sad but true. Through the corners it beat the TT (with that driver anyways).
The GT-R is a performance monster.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackel
post #128!

I think Ben is onto something. The folks on here (and there are many) that can blow $100,000 + on a CAR are 100% correct in utterly ignorging the new GT-R. For the other 99% of the population (including me BTW) this new car is VERY relevant. I love the leather, fit and finish, looks, etc. of my Porsche way more than my old Corvette. That said, if it weren't for snow (my 996 is AWD) I would get pretty tired of getting smoked by new Vettes that cost as much as my used Porsche! If you have the money, only a fool (IMHO) would prefer the GTR to a 997 TT! Then again that is like comparing a GT Mustang to a Z06 Corvette. One is TWICE the cost of the other!! Of course if I have the money (that I want to spend on a car, mind you) I would prefer to buy a 997TT. But, when the time comes that I've saved enough for the "new" car, if I have only enough for either a N/A 997 or a GT-R which do you think I'll choose??

That is what (I think) Ben is getting at. 110% the performance of a 997TT at 50% of the price, that is awesome. And it is AWD for a 50 state Daily Driver to boot.

BTW, I LOVE my Porsche, but I am not part of the religion...

Gotta give credit where it is due. Even if it were a Hyudai you have to see the potential of this car...
money no object i'd pick the 997TT everytime, but you guys haven't the perception nor reading comprehension nor open-mindednes to get this out of my posts.

but money is an object else none of us would be b!tching and whining about CPO, warranty, RMS, can i lower on just springs, or even driving our bastard (yet loveable) child of a 911 that is the 996.

this GTR is a highly relevant car because 1 it's got supercar worldclass performance 2 it's the new hot car (though the GTR name itself does have a rich history overseas) 3 the 997 911GT3/TT/GT2 is the measuring stick in this class.

so for much less money, you get to instill fear in the 997 $150K car guy to which then 997 $150K will reach into his bag of excuses powered by insecurity and cut down on the car by using racial slurs, it's huge in pictures, it's fuqin heavy, its interior sux, bringing up valet pimpin' concerns, say that stupid saying there's no substitute etc etc etc

my point has been and will continue to be in this thread that this car is to be respected. respecting this car doesn't mean you gotta wanna go out and buy it. it doesn't necessarily mean it makes you desire your car less (in some cases yes). it doesn't mean anything other than you being an intelligent, cultured, open-minded, progressive car fan... can recognize a good thing when you see it.

i am the above paragraph here. i respect the GTR and welcome it to the market. it only keeps the game up for all others, including porsche, to then go and out-do.

so for all you suckers getting your porsche crested thongs in a wad because of my posts, you gotta really think hard about getting a life.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
money no object i'd pick the 997TT everytime, but you guys haven't the perception nor reading comprehension nor open-mindednes to get this out of my posts.
MAybe that's because you're too busy trashing the 911's, and dont have the sense to see that it will not get a warm reception on a Porsche forum
but money is an object else none of us would be b!tching and whining about CPO, warranty, RMS, can i lower on just springs, or even driving our bastard (yet loveable) child of a 911 that is the 996.

this GTR is a highly relevant car because 1 it's got supercar worldclass performance 2 it's the new hot car (though the GTR name itself does have a rich history overseas) 3 the 997 911GT3/TT/GT2 is the measuring stick in this class.

so for much less money, you get to instill fear in the 997 $150K car guy to which then 997 $150K will reach into his bag of excuses powered by insecurity and cut down on the car by using racial slurs, it's huge in pictures, it's fuqin heavy, its interior sux, bringing up valet pimpin' concerns, say that stupid saying there's no substitute etc etc etc Just get your GT-R and be done with it, your pathetic groveling over it is getting old. And you insults of the guys who really LOVE their Porsches as well. Then when you have the chance to beat the 150k 997, see how much the magazines help you then.

my point has been and will continue to be in this thread that this car is to be respected. respecting this car doesn't mean you gotta wanna go out and buy it. it doesn't necessarily mean it makes you desire your car less (in some cases yes). it doesn't mean anything other than you being an intelligent, cultured, open-minded, progressive car fan... can recognize a good thing when you see it. The GT-R has not been overly bashed here, in fact very little bashing at all, you are just over-reacting because everyone isnt awestruck over it like you are. The Z06 turned the world upside down when it came out 3+ years ago, and LOTS of people didnt like it, and it's still faster than a GT-R and people still dont like it.

What is my point.

Some people still wont like the GT-R, no matter how fast it goes and for various reasons. GET OVER IT.

i am the above paragraph here. i respect the GTR and welcome it to the market. it only keeps the game up for all others, including porsche, to then go and out-do.You are a fanboy, plain and simple, just admit it

so for all you suckers getting your porsche crested thongs in a wad because of my posts, you gotta really think hard about getting a life.
You have been the most aggressive poster in this thread attacking a dude because he said he hates the styling and others for having reasons they'd rather stick with their Porsches. You have no respect for other peoples choices, and are close minded to what you think about the car, so maybe you should turn your back to the mirror and look behind you to see who panties are really in the wad.

Last edited by wanna911; 03-03-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911

wanna911, i wasn't going to bother coming back to check Choi's posts but had to for a good ol'giggle......you just made it worth while with your replies to his childish comments.

Choi, time to turn over the vinyl, you've already worn out one side.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
ls911
Pro

so for much less money, you get to instill fear in the 997 $150K car guy to which then 997 $150K will reach into his bag of excuses powered by insecurity and cut down on the car by using racial slurs, it's huge in pictures, it's fuqin heavy, its interior sux, bringing up valet pimpin' concerns, say that stupid saying there's no substitute etc etc etc

my point has been and will continue to be in this thread that this car is to be respected. respecting this car doesn't mean you gotta wanna go out and buy it. it doesn't necessarily mean it makes you desire your car less (in some cases yes). it doesn't mean anything other than you being an intelligent, cultured, open-minded, progressive car fan... can recognize a good thing when you see it.

i am the above paragraph here. i respect the GTR and welcome it to the market. it only keeps the game up for all others, including porsche, to then go and out-do.

lol....

Ben

Seriously, I believe most posts have recognize and praise the GT-R on the good things in it, performance category - outstanding.
I've read plenty of positive remarks, it is possible you might be a bit to focused on some of the negative lines. In this you're not alone as it is happening to your remarks as well. The thing most don't care so much about it is looks/style, me included. Pointless to argue on this.

Not everybody has his thongs in a wad over this, I am....el natural
Tattooing the P-crest on my d..K head is on my mod list, page 5.
As far as getting a life... pot calling the kettle black (2300+ posts an counting, nice!)
We are all part of this sick adiction, thanks for the company

On a side note, I do hope you got over that cold/flue bug
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by ls911
lol....

As far as getting a life... pot calling the kettle black (2300+ posts an counting, nice!)

so you equate post count to whether a dude has a life or not? WHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHA wanna compare what we did over the weekend, bud?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by wanna911
check my garage and see what car i choose to drive. you are so sensitive you can't get past your own damn bias like you're in a perpetual state of... wanting a 911... hmmmmm
Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

People,

You just have to do what I did. I made his ignore list.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
ls911
Pro

so you equate post count to whether a dude has a life or not? WHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHA wanna compare what we did over the weekend, bud?

Yes. I know every time my wife sees me reading or posting she tells me to get a life, ha. Not sure if my marriage can take 2000 + posts
I had a good weekend, drank a little, check that, allot of wine. One of the best syrah's to be had is form the Coeur D Alene winery .
I also got my windows tinted (30%) washed and drove the bratwurst out of my 996, had a little fun with the wife (after the vino) and watched my son work his tricks in his beloved BMX bike.

Thanks for asking

Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ls911
lol....

Ben

Seriously, I believe most posts have recognize and praise the GT-R on the good things in it, performance category - outstanding.
I've read plenty of positive remarks, it is possible you might be a bit to focused on some of the negative lines. In this you're not alone as it is happening to your remarks as well. The thing most don't care so much about it is looks/style, me included. Pointless to argue on this.

Not everybody has his thongs in a wad over this, I am....el natural
Tattooing the P-crest on my d..K head is on my mod list, page 5.

+1!

BC, you seem to be intolerant of any criticisms levied against the GT-R, even given the fact there's virtually unanimous recognition of its performance specs and value in this thread. Some negative comments on its aesthetics, and you accuse all critics to be Porsche zealots with deep-rooted insecurity? If someone thinks the GT-R is ugly, then they think it's ugly. If someone feels 4,000 lbs is too much bulk to be a sports car, then that's their opinion. Your entire tirade is based on your reaction to subjective opinions of others. You do realize a car can be a performance beast and outstanding value, but still be unappealing to others for good reasons, even if you don't share their views?

You seem to be blind to it somehow, but the GT-R is being respected for what it is. The only disrespect here is the others' subjective opinions of it by you. I'm also not too fond of the GT-R's "Caddy" styling motif, with sharp creases/edges, although I don't think it's fugly. If that's enough for someone to not like it, then that's their opinion and prerogative. If you want to equate that with baseless disparagement and entrenched insecurity, then that's your prerogative, no matter how infantile it may be.

Subjective criticisms have no bearing on objective measurements. Nobody is discounting the GT-R capabilities. Tell me again your feelings about a higher-priced, slower F-car vs. a P-car.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

heck yea i'm intolerant of "crap jap car" aren't u?

virtually unanimous recognition? hey get out from under your RMS engine car and check the thread again.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

heck yea i'm intolerant of "crap jap car" aren't u?

virtually unanimous recognition? hey get out from under your RMS engine car and check the thread again.
I see only one poster who used that insensitive term on the GT-R, so that makes the whole bushel rotten? Go ahead, count the number of posts that didn't acknowledge the GT-R's performance specs, then compare it against the number of your posts claiming they didn't. Who's doing the witch-hunt?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sorry don't have the time nor interest - u do it , put it in an excel spreadsheet and share out
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
DanJK
Racer

Wanna compare what you did this weekend??

Has it come to this? My dad can beat up your dad?

Ben, it seems like your tweeked because one person used an unfortunate slur. The rest is just all opinion - and I think you can grant us that we all have the right to one.

Yes, the GT-R has nice performance numbers. I don't think anyone here has driven one - so 90% of the reason I buy a particular model is unknown to me. I know this - I (ME, ONLY ME) don't like the styling, the look, of it. And that, basically, is all I know about it besides the fanboy stats. I look forward to the road test on Top Gear.

These are cars, not blood.

Quick Reply: 08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal