996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bet someone is having seller's remorse.

Stefan
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great Mark! It's probably a litte quieter driving with doors on...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remorse....moi? Yes...as I stood there watching Mark put her all back together I did have a twinge or two of remorse....she's so beautiful and I loved driving her....but Mark is a master surgeon...put her back so she is a mirror image of her former self. Geez I wish I could do what Mark is capable of doing with salvage cars.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark.
Great pics with the doors on. Congratulations!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
welles
Intermediate

Mfletch -
I suspect that this may be a sensitive subject, but I'm just tactless enough to ask the obvious question: where do you think you ended up on this project financially? Excepting the cost of labor (which I'll assume you consider free), do you think you would be "whole" if you sold the car now? Putting it another way, how much would you guess that you saved versus buying a non-burned 911 of identical age/mileage/condition?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Stefan, he still has visitation rights.
Don, it's a lot quieter and warmer. It was fun though.
Chuck, thanks. Your turbo looked great.You made a nice upgrade.
Apterr, thanks.
Welles, good question...I don't mind answering. I bought the car for about $12k and I'm only into it about 2k...not counting the mods I transferred from my previous project before I sold it (EVO CAI, Billy Boat headers & mufflers, RSS plenum-about $2,500-off ebay, and polished 18inch turbo twists) or the factory aero kit that I haven't installed (bought used for another $2,500).
I should be into the car about $20k with the aero kit installed. I think the car was worth about $30-32k before the fire due to the low miles (34k), LSD, and unique color...Chuck's insurance thought it was worth significantly more. I think I could probably get about $28k for the car after I finish and the aero kit is installed. I won't know if it has a salvage title until I go to register it. I would disclose the prior damage regardless. I don't plan on selling this one. I probably saved about 10k rebuilding the car myself.
The sale of my previous 996 paid for this car and a 03 BMW 330i that will be my beater car. My previous project 996 is the one that I wouldn't want to add up how much I spent rebuilding. I sold it a couple months ago for $23,500. I probably had another $10k into it.
My project cars have never really been about the money. They are a passion. They have helped me keep my sanity through five spine surgeries.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a dimension to all this that a lot of folks dont' know, and Mark would be retiscent to say...but his back is a compilation of stainless that would put a lot of headers to shame. Mark lives in pain, but he has learned to ignore it and live with it. We both have bad backs, but his outdoes mine, and when I stand there and watch him maneuver in and out of the car...into contotioned positons, I know that he's hurting, and not just a little....but he persists. As he said, this is his passion, and passion helps to overcome dwelling too much on your personal condition and discomfort....the same goes for Eric and Deonna (Bernoco). His combination of sheer guts and God given talent make him one of a kind. The results are worthy of a professional restore-it shop run by a guy who could just as easily whine and mew about how it hurts to do even menial tasks. His efforts and results are inspiring to many who have followed this thread.

Sorry Mark....I know you are a modest guy, but what you've done considering all the other factors, is worthy of note.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Chuck, nicely written!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mfletch- It's nice to see your' new' project car in your avatar...it looks so good! Can you take a break now or will that wait until you install the aero package?Barn
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I saw the updated pics. Lookin good! Mark, if you ever need help changing a fuse or two, I can help you with that.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Mark,
You are a man of remarkable talent and, we now learn, fortitude.
The car looks great. I wish you many happy, pain-free, miles.
CP
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, thanks for the kind words. Thanks even more for selling me your baby.
Steve, Thanks. I still have some work to do. I will probably take a break & drive it as-is for a little while. Once I have everything else the way I want it, I will install the aero kit. Having to wait for a while will make me appreciate it more. Have you installed the new steering wheel yet? If you are short any hardware, let me know.
Arnee, thanks. I know who to ask for advice when it comes to detailing, yours looks awesome.
CP, thanks. I wish I could share some of our nice weather with you. I have never been as cold in my life as I was on my trips to Boston....tolerating that weather is my idea of fortitude.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

A little bit closer...
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Chuck, thanks for the kind words. Thanks even more for selling me your baby.
Steve, Thanks. I still have some work to do. I will probably take a break & drive it as-is for a little while. Once I have everything else the way I want it, I will install the aero kit. Having to wait for a while will make me appreciate it more. Have you installed the new steering wheel yet? If you are short any hardware, let me know.
Arnee, thanks. I know who to ask for advice when it comes to detailing, yours looks awesome.
CP, thanks. I wish I could share some of our nice weather with you. I have never been as cold in my life as I was on my trips to Boston....tolerating that weather is my idea of fortitude.

heh thanks. I can help you... I'll hold the tools and stuff.. and.. err.. hold the can of soda and stuff.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I went for my first real drive today up my favorite road (Salmon Falls). I was in Porsche heaven. I have been (essentially) Porscheless for two months, since I sold the vesuvio 996. I love this car. The PSS9 suspension is fantastic. The mods work well together. This is the first time I have gotten to flog it. It flies. It is significantly faster than my tiptronic car.
I still have some work to do. Now that I can drive it, nothing seems that major. I'm waiting to get my guage cluster cover back from 928 leather. I just started shopping for a stereo head unit. I decided not to waste the money on the factory head unit that I have. The face plate that I need for the CDR 220 would have cost me close to $100 used. I'm going to put the money toward a decent aftermarket CD player.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild