996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remarkable difference Mark! Looks great!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
hantsbad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark I have been watching your progress and I am amazed with the out come. I wish I had your skills. Great Job. Cant wait to see what you do next.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The interior is really coming together - how does it smell?

Originally Posted by Mfletch
.... I purchased an Alpine head unit & amplifier that I'm having installed next week.
Operative words "having installed". I guess with the car's history, you are not taking chances - can't say I blame you.

Although I love the steering wheel, I would nonetheless limit its use to track days. 3 spoke airbag steering wheels are not that hard or expensive to come by, and will protect you from those who are less careful. Not meant to be a criticism by any means.

Stefan
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks once again for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I look forward to your responses. It helps keep me motivated. I have taken almost 400 pictures so far....primarily so I can share the fun with my online friends.

Stefan, I was a little worried about the residual smell when I first started the project. Since I stripped the interior down to bare metal, repainted all burnt areas, and replaced all the front carpet & dash...none of the foul odor remains. I won't even need the half gallon of Fabreeze that I invested in. I still need to remove the driver's door panel and clean inside that door. I blasted it with my compressor and dry chemical powder still falls out every time I close the driver's door.

The local Best Buy has a really good installer that did an installation on a SL600 project car (flood title) that I did about year ago. When he told me that I would have to run RCA cables from the head unit to the amp...I decided to spend the $200 and save my back. He promised not to put any more divots in my fenders. I'm fabricating the mount for the amp (from my old aluminum dash support), so I can put it in the factory location.

I sold my 3 spoke steering wheel to a fellow Rennlister. You never have to worry about offending me Stefan. I retained the airbags for my passenger. I'm not a big fan of them for myself. If I could delete them in my K-9 patrol car, I would.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Mark,

What are your PSS9 settings and why? Is yout setup going to be primarily for street?

TIA
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Thanks once again for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I look forward to your responses. It helps keep me motivated. I have taken almost 400 pictures so far....primarily so I can share the fun with my online friends.

Stefan, I was a little worried about the residual smell when I first started the project. Since I stripped the interior down to bare metal, repainted all burnt areas, and replaced all the front carpet & dash...none of the foul odor remains. I won't even need the half gallon of Fabreeze that I invested in. I still need to remove the driver's door panel and clean inside that door. I blasted it with my compressor and dry chemical powder still falls out every time I close the driver's door.

The local Best Buy has a really good installer that did an installation on a SL600 project car (flood title) that I did about year ago. When he told me that I would have to run RCA cables from the head unit to the amp...I decided to spend the $200 and save my back. He promised not to put any more divots in my fenders. I'm fabricating the mount for the amp (from my old aluminum dash support), so I can put it in the factory location.

I sold my 3 spoke steering wheel to a fellow Rennlister. You never have to worry about offending me Stefan. I retained the airbags for my passenger. I'm not a big fan of them for myself. If I could delete them in my K-9 patrol car, I would.
How is it running? Any twitching headlights or electrical gremlins...
Good work!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

chsu74, I haven't messed with the suspension yet. I believe Chuck Jones told me that when he had the car corner balanced & lowered the PSS9s were on the 3rd from the stiffest setting. I am hoping to enjoy the car on the track, but it will primarily be driven on the street.

Gregorycarl, thanks. No electrical problems yet, but I still have a few minor issues to resolve (brake pad sensor light & airbag light).
Old 02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: As I recall, the PSS9's were set at 3/4 with a ride height of 25 5/8....I did a survey of what most of the guys set as a ride height, and that's the figure I came up with. Although I liked the settings for the twisties....because of your back, you should probably back off the stiffness a bit. I believe they have 9 different settings you can use. I had them set up at Radial Tire on Cottage....if you contact Randy there, he should have the info on the car in their computer.

She's lookin' good mate...let me know whey you're ready for a Salmon Falls run.

Chuck
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Chuck. I should be ready for Salmon Falls again soon. It's parked for a few days, until the UPS man delivers a new oil fill tube.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Here is one more step in the right direction. The steering column cover was a pain. The stereo goes in on Wednesday. I also need to call around and price the windshield & installation.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey you can get a Porsche horn from FVD or eBay to fit that momo wheel. I have the black porsche horn for my momo wheel. completes the steering wheel look.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Arnee. I have the Porsche crest horn button. I messed up the first thread on the steering wheel shaft. I need to fix it this week (so I can put the nut on that holds the steering wheel in place). I also need to get some hardware for the aluminum pedals. I didn't really like what came with them.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I haven't posted any updates on my project car for a while. I just picked it up from Car Audio Inovations today. I love it! Rob personally did the installation of the Alpine head unit and an Audison amplifier. I'm taking my Alpine amp back. Rob suggested I go with the Audison amp for the shielding from interference (?) and because he could install it in the factory location. The system sounds fantastic. Thanks Rob for a great job. I would highly recommend him. I can't believe how good it sounds, even with the factory speakers.

I still have a few minor details to finish on my car (turn signal has to be shut off manually, install the rest of the aluminum pedals, traction control turns off...but the light won't illuminate, connect Momo horn button, etc.). I am able to drive it daily now. I couldn't be happier with it. I really appreciate all the help and kind words that I received here. There are some incredible people here that have helped make this an enjoyable project.

I will install my new wheels by Friday and my aero kit in the next couple months...I'll post a couple updated pictures after the mods. Here are some pictures of the amp and stereo installation. I'm sorry my photography skills are lacking. I see from my pictures that I really need to detail the interior now that I am done...I saw some dust bunnies hiding in my vents.
Attached Images       
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: I like that center CD holder delete....makes the front look so much roomier. Hard to believe I used to own that car...you've done such a wonderful job bringing her back to her former beauty....and yes, I'm up for a run to Salmon Falls. I'm putting in my headers tomorrow.

Chuck
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job, Mfletch!

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild