Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
CP, my budget does not permit me to buy a new harness. I priced a new engine harness on my previous project and it was well over $2,000. The estimate from the dealer to repair this car was $25,000....I'm sure a large chunk of that was parts....I would guess the dash harness is over $5,000 new, based on the price of the engine harness.
Thanks for the answer. I wish there were something I could do to help, but I have no expertise to offer. All I can send are my continued best wishes.
CP
Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

As soon as I figure how to swap the ignition switch from my old column to the new one, I will power it up!
Regarding ignition switch I'm am not sure I think there is a small hole on the key assy itself and you push it just not sure. But too remove the lock assy it's pretty easy.

1. Loosen 2 set screws with small screw driver (reg) in the large electrical connector at back of lock assy they will be painted pink/red (scratch paint off) pull connector off.

2. Disconnect any connectors on lock assy and remove the (1) I think 8 or 10mm bolt holding lock assy in the steering column.

3. Insert key turn to to position (1) then look for a pin at the 12 oclock position on lock assy at column and push it down using the small screw driver or something similar and jiggle assy out.

Here's a link when I did mine but it was a pain because the key would not turn. Also run a search there for other links. Hope this helps

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...9&st=0&start=0

Last edited by Mother; 01-19-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Mother, after reading your post, I think I'm going to clean & brush my old steering column and use it....what a pain in the neck. I don't have the keys from the donor car...so it looks extremely difficult to remove the donor ignition assembly. Thanks for all your previous posts on the ignition problems. Sorry you had to go through so much frustration...you sure saved me some by posting it.

CP, the best wishes count for a lot, thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As soon as I figure how to swap the ignition switch from my old column to the new one, I will power it up!
Switch or switch and lock mechanism?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I hooked up the battery and powered the car up today. My wife was standing by with Chuck's halon fire extinguisher. I have not installed the installed the dash cover. I also have not hooked up any of the connections on the driver's side of the dash. I decided to clean up my old steering column rather than trying to swap the lock mechanism. A couple hours with a toothbrush and some Brasso did the trick. I did not expect to be able to start the car. I zip tied the steering column in place to connect to the ignition. I need to install the clutch pedal assembly prior to installing the column permanently. I have not reinstalled the carpet, center console, seats, or doors either.
I hooked up the alarm receiver so I could turn the alarm off with the key fob. Hooking up the battery was a little anti-climatic. Nothing happened. I guess that is better than some of the alternatives. I pushed the button on the key fob and I could hear relays opening and closing inside the alarm control unit. I turned the key to the "on" position and Chuck's air horns started sounding (constant, not intermittent). I also noticed that the brake lights came on. I removed the horn fuse and the horn still activated. I removed the each relay individually and the horn continued to sound. I'm sure my neighbors love me right now.
Tomorrow, I plan on installing the clutch pedal assembly and steering column. I believe the horn is sounding as part of the alarm function (along wihth the brake lights being illuminated. It only does it with the key in the third position. I may need to install the doors, center console, and guages to get the alarm function to deactivate. I definately have some trouble shooting to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark,

Nice update. I recall that someone wrote that the steering wheel horns (#1 & #2) and the alarm horn are completely separate systems. I know there is a separate horn for the alarm (#7).
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Loren
Drifting

Mark,

If the OBD II is a functional under the dash I can test each circuit individually with one of my testers.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I swear I dunno how you sleep at night - when I get a project going around the house I wake up every morning thinking about what I need to get for the project that day and how much I can get done - your project would have me up nights for sure.

Sorry I cannot help though, but keep the pics coming.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I can finaly breathe and good for you "anticlimatic" is a good sign except for the horn. With allot out of it yet see after installing the rest except maybe seats, also there is a center console roller switch for the center glove box that you can tape closed in case it sets off alarm so you can leave out center console temporaily. You can check the brake by pushing the brake switch under pedal and see it the lights go out. Is your radio in?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loren
Mark,

If the OBD II is a functional under the dash I can test each circuit individually with one of my testers.
Boy wish I had one of those.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Tim, I thought the same about the horn systems being seperate. I believe the one by the driver's side firewall is for the alarm. I'm not sure what is going on. I will reasssemble as much of the interior as I can (and still access the questionable wires) in the next couple days and see what happens. Thanks for the diagram.
Loren, I will take it as far as I can go over the next couple days. If I am still unable to resolve my wiring issues, I will take you up on your generous offer.
Joe, I have lost more than a little sleep over this project. I enjoy a challenge...this project is certainly providing it. I have a hard time stopping when I haven't completed what I wanted to get done on the car.
Mother, I'm hoping that I can install everything, but the seats, without causing myself any problems. Thanks for the information. The radio will be about the last thing that I install. I got one with the donor car, but it missing the face plate. I plan on having a stereo shop install an aftermarket system. I will hook up all the factory speakers, so I can have the deck installed first and the speakers later (as my budget permits).
Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: I'd be more than happy to go pick up Loren (after I coordinate with him of course) and bring him up to your place to put it on his OBD II if you'd like. I still want to be there when it starts....lots of pics for the following you have developed. I also have the stock horns in the car for you when I next see you. I can imagine how much attention you would have garnered with those Italian air horns blowing in your garage....I think they're rated at 137 db.

Loren: If you read this would you be willing to take a trip up to El Dorado Hills with me to check out Mark's project?

Chuck
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

The radio will be about the last thing that I install. I got one with the donor car, but it missing the face plate. I plan on having a stereo shop install an aftermarket system. I will hook up all the factory speakers, so I can have the deck installed first and the speakers later (as my budget permits).
The reason I asked is that I believe there is a wire (Brown) that is a anit theft that sets off the alarm also maybe some one can verify. Well off to shop to run my engine with tranny out to test new seals my shaft/case is concentric which was a releif. GL
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Brown wires are always for signal to chassis ground in all systems.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mother
The reason I asked is that I believe there is a wire (Brown) that is a anit theft that sets off the alarm also maybe some one can verify. Well off to shop to run my engine with tranny out to test new seals my shaft/case is concentric which was a releif. GL
The radio alarm wire is Brown/Blue (brown wire with blue stripe) wire from the original radio connector.

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild