Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 12:15 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Redridge, great article. Thanks for the info. Are you going to go for the LWFW? It sounds like fun, if it isn't too obnoxious.
My wonderful wife helped me mask and paint the area behind the dash. I'm finally ready to start reassembling the car. I also coughed up a couple extra dollars and bought the leather airbag cover. I saw this leather instrument cover from "The 928 Leather Shop" on ebay. I'm going to get this also. Hopefully it will improve the look of the plastic dash.
Attached Images    
Old 12-10-2007 | 01:48 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

You are still my hero - I cannot decide if it looked more scary as a burned up mess, or as a cleaned up and painted shell. Cutting those wire bunches that come through the firewall would be tough for me. I know they are all color coded, but still. Will you get a new harness and trace all of those backk to their oroginating spot, or just cut and splice them where they are?
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:20 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Joe, thanks. I don't plan on doing any splicing, if I can help it. I have the new (used) harness sitting next to the car. It is attached to the main dash support. I left the cut sections of the harness in (just to plug the holes) so paint wouldn't go into the front hood area. It will also make it easier to indentify which parts of the new harness go through which holes. I took several pictures of the donor car to help me figure out where everything goes.
Attached Images    
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark - were you able to get the nuts on the air bag control module removed?
Old 12-10-2007 | 08:58 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Looks better already Mark.

Regarding the leather, the 928 leather shop is a site sponser, you could probably get a better price directly instead of ebay fwiw.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eather+console
Old 12-10-2007 | 09:03 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Tim, I forgot to call on it today. I have to go to SilverStar Recycling tomorrow to get a couple Porsche & Rover parts. They have offered to let me borrow specialized tools before...I might take them up on this one.
DFC, I didn't know that...thanks for telling me. I always appreciate the opportunity to save a couple dollars on parts.
Old 12-11-2007 | 12:23 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Mark, I have one thing to say. You can quit your day job. Absolutely amazing.

Jay
Old 12-11-2007 | 12:51 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Do I remember reading that you bought most of the parts for behind the dash for $1000? That seems super cheap. I wish you lived closer - I spent 4 hours hanging out at in my buddies' garage this past Saturday watching/helping him replace his water heater. You would have to throw me out of there at dark if I could help with this project.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:16 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Tim, I forgot to call on it today. I have to go to SilverStar Recycling tomorrow to get a couple Porsche & Rover parts. They have offered to let me borrow specialized tools before...I might take them up on this one.
DFC, I didn't know that...thanks for telling me. I always appreciate the opportunity to save a couple dollars on parts.
How are you liking Silverstar Recycling? I've found them to be HIGH on used prices.

Have you check out Mazda Porsche,it's in the same junkyard section. I've dealt with them,cool people,I think the kids(18-23) run the shop and the adults take everything apart.

Keep the pictures coming.
Old 12-11-2007 | 03:31 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Jay, thanks. I'm lucky to have a day (swingshift) job that I love. If I had to rely on this for income, it probably wouldn't be fun. I enjoy buying the project cars, I hate parting with them.
Joe, I got a great deal on the parts. I deal with manager, Ryan. I have bought 4 cars from them, so they give me a break on package deals. I would enjoy your company if we were closer. I miss living by the beach. I lived in Hermosa, Redondo, and El Segundo for several years.
Blinkwatt, Silverstar will negotiate on some prices...talk to Ryan. MazdaPorsche has a better selection of 996 parts...I'm going there also tomorrow. The kid, Sam, is the owner...his dad works for him. They are both a pleasure to deal with.
Old 12-18-2007 | 06:27 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

My project still looks pretty hopeless...at least it is headed in the right direction. It was a real adventure getting the heater/AC unit and dash support installed. There are two major sections of the wiring harness that go in behind the heater/AC unit, then the heater/AC gets installed, and finally the dash support goes in. They had to go in together, so I didn't have to completly seperate the wiring harness from the dash support. It took me two tries....half the wires go under the heater/AC, the rest go over. I'm glad I took lots of pictures of the donor car.
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2007 | 06:33 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looking good!
Old 12-18-2007 | 06:39 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Mark,
I think your last post is off topic. This is the 996 board, not the 747 board. Dash from a 747 right?
Mind boggling!
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:52 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Mark- Have you ever reached a point when you thought you were over your head, facing issues that seemed impossible to overcome, that would prevent further progress in this rebuild? i give you credit in the perserverance area on this project.
Old 12-19-2007 | 12:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW Mark, that looks very confusing! Hats off to you!

If that was me, I would have hung myself with one of the wiring harnesses by now!

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild