996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

IT LIVES!!! Thanks to Loren, who spent several hours helping me today with his diagnostic program, my car started today for the first time since I have owned it. I still have lots of work to do, but I sure am happy. Thank you so much Loren.
Here are a couple pictures from today. I will post more as I get further along. The steering column is fighting me a little bit...it needs to go in about 1/2 inch further....my dad is bringing me a larger hammer tomorrow.
Attached Images   
Old 01-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations!

It's all downhill from here(hopefully!)
Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark, that's great news! Can't wait to see see the Indigo Inferno put back completely together again.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was up there today with Mark and Loren....but left early. When I left, they were chasing down some wiring that was all color coded the same....black and yellow. For whatever reason, Porsche seems to like Black and Yellow wiring....and they all end up lookning the same. Mark ended up cutting a about 6 of the splices and Loren and Mark methodically chased down the wiring one by one...horn, alarm, ignition etc.

I have to say that when I was watching, I never expected Mark to get it running today....but my hearty congratulations Mark....and a big Atta' Boy to Loren who brought his computer programs up and helped Mark chase down the trouble spots. The Porsche community has some great folks in it....
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 376 Posts

Congrats Mark...and massive kudos to Loren for being such a huge help. I can't wait to see pics of the car on the road!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, great news boys... I gotta admit, Im not easily impressed...and Im an electrical engineer, but Im totally impressed!!!

We should all chip in and buy one of these PIWIS, and have it floated around to who ever needs one!!! Again, You guys ROCK!!!

Mark, wipe that grin off your face
Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 AM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Mark! One big step closer to getting in on the road. Thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming.

Nice job Loren
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark's done all the work here - please give credit where it is due.
I'm glad I could help a little by tracing down some things and testing components\controls.
I think that re-assembly (should go pretty quick now) and some final testing should get this car back on the road.
Congrats to Mark for all his hard work!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

All I have to say is WOW!

Great work! I think you are on the back nine now!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
IT LIVES!!!
Come on was there really any doubt.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redridge
We should all chip in and buy one of these PIWIS, and have it floated around to who ever needs one!!! Again, You guys ROCK!!!
Money is tied up for awhile, but great idea as long as Mark and Loren come with the package.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Money is tied up for awhile, but great idea as long as Mark and Loren come with the package.
Sorry, I don't need a PIWIS -- I have one and a PST2 (which is what I used on Mark's car).

Last edited by Loren; 01-26-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Loren wrote: ....Mark's done all the work here - please give credit where it is due.
I'm glad I could help a little by tracing down some things and testing components\controls."

Loren.... You are so dogone modest.....you were a BIG HELP to Mark on this project....he was in dire need of your help and when you brought your computer and identified the various wires by color code along with your suggestions on cut this one and let's try this or that....it helped Mark wade through the problems...especially where there were five sets of black/yellow stripe wires that went to God knows where.

Guys....Mark is a genius when it comes to this sort of thing, but Loren is too modest when he downplayed his part....as I'm sure Mark will attest to. The central theme of this post is that because of forums like Rennlist, RennTech, Pelican, 6Speed, and others...... guys rally to the aid of other P car owners who are having problems and lend their expertise. It's a great online community.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words guys...I really appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help Loren. I hope I can return the favor someday.
I have wasted several hours fighting with the steering column this weekend. It is about 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch from lining up with the bolt holes. I finally gave up for the weekend (on it) and finished installing the center console & upper console delete, the passenger side carpet, and passenger seat. It is starting to look like a real car.
I will tackle the steering column again tomorrow. I received the instrument cluster cover from 928 leather...it looks great. I think it will look pretty good with the leather airbag cover. Hopefully it will break up the sea of plastic. How many rubber basketball covers did it take to cover an entire dash in a 99 996?
My paintless dent guy came over yesterday and worked his magic on my front fenders. He found 6 dents on the passenger side and 5 on the driver's side. I am really **** and I only spotted 1 one the driver's side and 4 on the passenger side. He was able to remove all of them and now there are no dents, door dings, or ripples on the entire car. I was pretty happy when the damage came to $150.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mfletch; 01-27-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark.....Lookin' good!! Not only "lives", but is starting to look like a Porsche on the inside...that must be frustrating to be so close and have that steering wheel hang up 1/8th out of centered. Tomorrow you can give Dave a call at Niello and maybe he'll have a trick or two....but you'd think that a spline is a spline and you just line up the grooves and it should slip right in. Murphy's Law lives.....

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild