Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 08:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,

If you want to "spice up" the car when is is completed, I can send you my flame design to put on your car. Since the fire started in the dash, I think a design with the flames emanating from the from of the doors would be most authentic. Maybe Chuck would be willing to be the "subject matter expert" on this project. I envision it looking something like this:
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2008 | 10:31 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, thanks. The spline was not the problem with the steering wheel. It is now moving in and out of the firewall with ease. It isn't seating all the way on the shaft that supports the pedals. I will mess with the old dash support tomorrow and see if I can get it to seat all the way while it is off the car. I will try to resist the urge to break out a grinder and fix the problem.

Tim, while it is really tempting to spice the car up with your beautiful flame job, I think I'll pass for now. Thanks for your generous offer. I have seen some people put a Porsche emblem on the side of our cars, similar to what Ferrari puts on their cars. I'm going to get a pair of the chrome naked ladies (seen on pick-up truck mudflaps) and mount them on the front fenders. I think it will match my polished wheels and add a little class. Perhaps I could also get a chrome toilet paper dispenser (like you had on yours) and mount it on the back of my car. I would have to get a chrome turbo emblem and flip the b over to make it a d.
Old 01-28-2008 | 10:45 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Chuck, thanks. The spline was not the problem with the steering wheel. It is now moving in and out of the firewall with ease. It isn't seating all the way on the shaft that supports the pedals. I will mess with the old dash support tomorrow and see if I can get it to seat all the way while it is off the car. I will try to resist the urge to break out a grinder and fix the problem.

Tim, while it is really tempting to spice the car up with your beautiful flame job, I think I'll pass for now. Thanks for your generous offer. I have seen some people put a Porsche emblem on the side of our cars, similar to what Ferrari puts on their cars. I'm going to get a pair of the chrome naked ladies (seen on pick-up truck mudflaps) and mount them on the front fenders. I think it will match my polished wheels and add a little class. Perhaps I could also get a chrome toilet paper dispenser (like you had on yours) and mount it on the back of my car. I would have to get a chrome turbo emblem and flip the b over to make it a d.

I love the "Turdo" emblem as an accessory to "rear wiper" idea. That is hilarious!!!!
Old 01-28-2008 | 03:50 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Atta' boy Mark....keep that sense of humor going. You're so close to getting it done....you've got a huge audience of well wishers cheering you on.....and they haven't seen the spoiler and other plans you have to enhance the outside....It's going to be stunning when it's all finished.
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:05 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I was able to sit in the driver's seat and start the car today. The steering column fought me for about 4 hours and I finally prevailed. If I'm lucky, I will get the doors reinstalled tomorrow. I need to install the gas pedal (Does anybody have a diagram?), dash cover, and steering wheel. I also need to read the instructions for the new Momo Steering wheel so I can figure out how to install it. I should be able to take it for a test drive in the next couple days. The forecast is for a week of rain here, so I won't be test driving it with the doors off. I was starting to like the no door look.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:25 PM
Loren
Drifting

Here is a diagram from the parts manual. Your pedal will look different since it is a non-egas car (the diagram just shows the most common part).
I have removed the other egas parts from the diagram so this should be what you have.

Last edited by Loren; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:18 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Loren, thanks once again for your help. The problem with the gas pedal is the one on my car was melted and I was not present when it was removed from the donor car. It has a couple of levers inside to allow pushing on the pedal to pull the throttle cable. Your diagram will help with the outside, the inside might be a bit of a challenge.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:42 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

I was away for a few days and just now caught up on this thread. Your work on this project is truly incredible. Congratulations on getting it started. That in itself is nothing short of miraculous.

Stefan

Last edited by Stefan Richter; 01-30-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:34 AM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Loren, thanks once again for your help. The problem with the gas pedal is the one on my car was melted and I was not present when it was removed from the donor car. It has a couple of levers inside to allow pushing on the pedal to pull the throttle cable. Your diagram will help with the outside, the inside might be a bit of a challenge.
Let me know if you get stuck and I will drive my car over so you can compare.
Old 01-30-2008 | 01:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

This was fairly quick to get it up and running. I guess what's left is re-assembly and double-checking everything. Good job Mark!
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:35 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Stefan and Arnee, thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. Arnee, the picture of your car in the avitar looks stunning. I love the black wheels with the red. Even in a small picture, your meticulous detailing is evident.
Loren, thanks for the nice offer. I clicked on your blog. The boxter red interior looks great with the silver exterior. It reminds me of a Mercedes 300 SL gullwing that I saw. It is a great combo. I can't wait to get the aero kit installed. I'm sure I won't be driving the car for long before I install them.
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:00 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Hopefully these will help

Todd
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

GREAT pictures Todd.....really nice of you to go thru the trouble of photographing the mechanism for Mark. That's what makes this forum so dogone useful, helpful, and informative....it's the guys/gals helping each other.

Then there's Tim.....but every forum has to have it's rebel. (heh-heh)

Mark: How close are you to putting on the doors and taking it for a run? I want to shoot pics of the momentus occasion for the guys on the forum....
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:59 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Todd, thanks for taking the time to post those pictures. That is absolutely perfect. It is just what I needed to put it back together. I just printed the pictures to put in the car while I reassemble the pedal. I appreciate the help.
Chuck, I may get delayed for a few days...My son has the flu, his birthday is this weekend, and the in-laws are coming up for the weekend. I'll post pictures when I get the doors & dash cover on.
Old 01-31-2008 | 08:07 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark, thanks for the update. I am truly impressed!

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild