Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:07 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Loren and Orient, thanks guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question . Now I can concentrate on the driver's side of the dash. If I work hard, I might be able to start my car by this weekend. There is a light at the end of the tunnel (now if I could just find the wiring for it).

Chuck, I'll give you a call this afternoon. The service advisor at Niello that has helped me out several times is David Welling. He is a great guy.
Old 01-12-2008 | 03:23 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

It's getting closer. I got a great deal on some new OEM MK1 sideskirts from DPS $449.00. I have the Driver's side wiring done. This weekend I should be able to finish the wiring(splicing the old section to the new....about 60-70 connections), install the new steering column, and hopefully fire it up (bad choice of words). I will install the carpet, seats, center console, and dash cover after I start the car.
I did a little touch up painting on the dash support....I couldn't stand knowing that it was lurking behind the dash without the paint being perfect. I have also spent a lot of time re-doing the factory tape on the wiring harness. It didn't stick very well. I use friction tape which is similar in appearance, but sticks better. It provides a little extra protection for the wires. I ran out of it today. I have to drive about an hour tomorrow to get a couple more rolls. It was very difficult to find. The little details are important to do right rather than settling for just getting the job done. Porsche used cloth tape to secure the wiring to plastic fasteners that attach to the floor pans. I upgraded to zip ties. They are stronger and look better.
My biggest compatability issue with the donor harness is the traction control switch. The T/C switch has five wires coming off the back. I traced three wires to the brake ABS unit. A mechanic at Niello Porsche (who helped me several times with the rebuild of my Vesuvio 996) told me that the other two wires are common wires that I can splice into at the fuse box.
I have always been impressed with how helpful Niello Porsche has been with my projects. I have called numerous times over the past four years. I deal with a specific mechanic, David. I never have a problem getting him on the phone and he is always generous with his time. He offered to fax me sections of the manual to assist me. The service advisor, David Welling, has also been very helpful. I have nothing but good things to say about these guys. They help make Porsche ownership a pleasure.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mfletch; 01-12-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2008 | 09:06 AM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Getting closer each day Mark, it looks great. and I can't wait to see the dash in (so I can actually recognize the car!).

You mentioned manuals, have you tried http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

Best of luck, and keep the pics coming.
Old 01-12-2008 | 10:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,

Thanks for the update. I have really enjoyed watching this project progress. I noticed on the other thread that Chuck bought you lunch the other day. Good for Chuck!

I hope you get her fired up... ah, I mean.... started this weekend. When do you plan on replacing the windshield? Once it starts up, how long do you estimate it will take you to put her back together again and get it completely finished?
Old 01-12-2008 | 11:48 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Mark - you have my respect for your projects - this is looking awesome!

... rather you than me though - that sight would scare the life out of me, I'd never be able to put that jigsaw together.

I had a suggestion for another mod... aluminum pedals
Old 01-12-2008 | 12:25 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

As I was reading a couple of your posts and laughing it came to mind during your first power up to have one battery cable loose to quickly remove if things don't go as expected or are you testing as you go along?
Old 01-12-2008 | 04:09 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Don, that manual information is fantastic. I did my first project about 4-5 years ago. At that time the manuals were over $2,000 from the dealer and were not available elsewhere. Times have changed. Thany you very much. That information will definately come in handy before this project is finished.

Tim, I haven't even priced windshields yet. The old one is cracked but does not obstruct the driver's vision. I will drive it for a couple days before I worry about it... Does anybody know how much for a windshield? I have transferred all the mods from my other car long ago, so mechanically, it should be ready to go. I would anticipate less than a week to take care of installing the Momo steering wheel, aluminum pedals, carpet, and seats. I suppose I should probably put the doors back on also. I will probably drive it as-is for a few weeks before I worry about installing the aero kit....it will make me appreciate it more. I'm also anxious to upgrade the clutch and go to the LWFW. It never ends...

Wellardmac, you are the one that recommended DPS for the aero parts, thanks. Check out the attached pictures.

Mother, you must be a mind reader. I will have someone standing on fire supression duty when I try to start it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. My next post will be after it is alive (I hope).
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2008 | 04:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I'd forgotten about the aero recommendation. I'm glad it worked out - also glad to see the aluminum pedals waiting to go.
Old 01-12-2008 | 09:05 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Don, that manual information is fantastic. I did my first project about 4-5 years ago. At that time the manuals were over $2,000 from the dealer and were not available elsewhere. Times have changed. Thany you very much. That information will definately come in handy before this project is finished.
Mark - glad it helped! I actually bought a cd of this info (this site has been up and down, so download everything while you can!) becasue I wanted to learn as much as I could about my car, it's the nerd engineer in me. I really wish I had the time - more importantly the talent - to tackle a project like yours; maybe someday...
Old 01-12-2008 | 09:13 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DFC
Mark - glad it helped! I actually bought a cd of this info (this site has been up and down, so download everything while you can!) becasue I wanted to learn as much as I could about my car, it's the nerd engineer in me. I really wish I had the time - more importantly the talent - to tackle a project like yours; maybe someday...
Yeah, me too, but since I wouldn't know what I was doing half of the time, I would probbly purposly start the back end of the car on fire, just to make it all look the same.
Old 01-12-2008 | 09:21 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Yeah, me too, but since I wouldn't know what I was doing half of the time, I would probbly purposly start the back end of the car on fire, just to make it all look the same.
If you know half the time, you are already ahead of me!
Old 01-12-2008 | 10:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark>>>>>today is Saturday...are you going to get it fired up by tomorrow? If so, I'd like to be there when you get the old girl going again....keep in touch. We'll have to break a bottle of champaign over the bow as she slides down the ramp.
Old 01-13-2008 | 10:28 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

The suspense is killing me. Looks great so far. Good luck today.

Stefan
Old 01-13-2008 | 11:02 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
The suspense is killing me. Looks great so far. Good luck today.

Stefan
Me too... I didn't see any Porsche fire movies posted on youtube yet
Old 01-13-2008 | 08:15 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I went by there today and took a look at Mark's progress....he's getting it to the final stages. Since the blue gal had a propensity for "lighting up", I left Mark my Halon extinguisher and told him to call me when he starts it for the first time. I took some pictures of Mark's progress today....but am having trouble getting them to load in the forum. I'm still amazed when I see him sitting in there with all that wiring all over the place....there's just no way I'd be able to remember where tab A went into tab B. Great job Mark....Hope you can get it to start...(was going to say get it to "fire up" but thought better of it).....

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild