Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Arnee, are you serious? Did you make this yourself or buy it?
They come in a 2-pack at Costco.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arnee, are you serious? Did you make this yourself or buy it?
No, I already had it. I bought it from Home Depot or Lowes a few years ago, can't remember which.

Something like this but without the lower frame nor lens since I already wear glasses:

Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Under-dash work is annoying, but once I wiggle in there, I stay focused and try and get the job done the first time! Nothing worse than wiggling under your dash, only to find you forgot your screw driver!
heheh the same can be said for something about that statement sounds dirty.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
heheh the same can be said for something about that statement sounds dirty.
Ha! It did kinda sound like prison talk!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Arnee, those glasses are awesome! I'd love to wear those out in NYC one night just to watch people's reactions.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arnee, those glasses are awesome! I'd love to wear those out in NYC one night just to watch people's reactions.
That would be awesome! Lighting up all the good looking girls, totally getting busted!

Last edited by AndyK; 04-12-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Hamilton – first off, if I offended you, I apologize. I can assure you that there was absolutely no malice intended in my comment.

[snip]

Once again, I apologize if I offended you.
Tim,

No sweat man. I did over-react. I was having a bad day and I snapped. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Grant

Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I have read the 9 pages so far and I think I have it down. I got under the dash for a few minutes (yes, I did feel woozy afterwards...) and saw how relatively easy it should be, but I just want to confirm a few things.
1- insert pin/nail and the end of the rod (very obvious where it goes)
2- I have the "old style" clamp onto the clutch pedal (think of merely a "C" clamp). To remove I just pry it open with a flat head screwdriver? Do I just press the clutch in after the nail has been placed?
3- How do I get the "canister" out from the gold bracket? It has two tabs from where it pivots that appear to be screwed in (can't see too well). There is no room for a screwdriver in my case.

I just want to make sure I do this in such a manner that it would be completely reversible in case I don't like it. I know its meant to be that way, just want to be 100% sure before I do something that I later regret.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus B.
I have read the 9 pages so far and I think I have it down. I got under the dash for a few minutes (yes, I did feel woozy afterwards...) and saw how relatively easy it should be, but I just want to confirm a few things.
1- insert pin/nail and the end of the rod (very obvious where it goes)
2- I have the "old style" clamp onto the clutch pedal (think of merely a "C" clamp). To remove I just pry it open with a flat head screwdriver? Do I just press the clutch in after the nail has been placed?
3- How do I get the "canister" out from the gold bracket? It has two tabs from where it pivots that appear to be screwed in (can't see too well). There is no room for a screwdriver in my case.

I just want to make sure I do this in such a manner that it would be completely reversible in case I don't like it. I know its meant to be that way, just want to be 100% sure before I do something that I later regret.
1 - Yes
2 - If you have the pin in it should more or less fall off the clutch once you push the clutch in. It might need a little encouragement
3 - Once it's free of the clutch pedal it should wiggle out. It's not screwed in at all, it stays in place from the spring pressure.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Thanks. I just got done doing this (less than 5 minutes!). Tip for those doing this, if you are going to use a nail, make sure its one with at least 2" long so it does not fall out easily. In my case, I put the nail in, fully depressed the clutch and at the same time, with 2 fingers, wiggled loose the canister from the pedal and then just wiggled the canister from the gold brackets. Really nothing to it. Now to test drive the car and see if there is any noticeable difference (I "suffered" from the "stall problem").
Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW: I patented this mod, so you each owe me a cup of coffee to avoid lawsuit.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

This mod has gone viral! Interwebs, lol.

Not sure why it didn't catch on sooner, I know you did it years ago, but like many others, I just happened to click on this thread, and then went down to the garage...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I didn't forget to bring a nail with me, I would do this mod before driving the car home for the first time! I guess I'll have to do it tomorrow, after my hour and a half drive home tonight. At least I will have a base to compare the mod to.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Well, I am glad most here like this mod, but for me, I did not like it. The clutch is now a tad too stiff for my taste and the force with which the pedal wants to spring back up is radically different (not to my liking). I also noticed a bit of side to side play on the pedal. To top it off, I could only engage the cruise control if I put my foot behind the clutch and pulled it up a tad more (yes, I did verify that the sensor was fully extended out).

Now for the "fun" part: I have tried to reverse this "mod" and all it has gotten me is 25 minutes of cursing, nausea, and nearly poking my eye out (fortunately, the nail landed next to my eye and cut me instead of poking me in the eye). Maybe something else besides a nail to hold the piston in? I can tell there is a lot of pressure as it has slightly bent the nail. After all this time, I still cannot get the damn thing back in there. The grease from the spring is not making things easier. So, anyone else reversed this with any luck?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Well, I am glad most here like this mod, but for me, I did not like it. The it is now a tad too stiff for my taste and the force with which the pedal wants to spring back up is radically different (not to my liking). I also noticed a bit of side to side play on the pedal. To top it off, I could only engage the cruise control if I put my foot behind the clutch and pulled it up a tad more (yes, I did verify that the sensor was fully extended out).

Now for the "fun" part: I have tried to reverse this "mod" and all it has gotten me is 25 minutes of cursing, nausea, and nearly poking my eye out (fortunately, the nail landed next to my eye and cut me instead of poking me in the eye). Maybe something else besides a nail to hold the piston in? I can tell there is a lot of pressure as it has slightly bent the nail. After all this time, I still cannot get the damn thing back in there. The grease from the spring is not making things easier. So, anyone else reversed this with any luck?

I have had mine in and out at leat a dozen times. Not difficult. I also have no problem with the cruise control and mine is a very early 99 model. Did you bleed your clutch properly?

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically