Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:10 AM
jdcSD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jdcSD
Ok, I see what you mean. My pin is out far enough now that it hits a nut attached to the gold bracket preventing me from pressing the clutch all the way down. Did you remove the pin with the clutch depressed all the way? I'm kinda stuck.
I got it! My problem was that the pin was out part way and the clutch was not depressed making it impossible to depress the clutch all the way. With a couple of screw drivers placed between the spring and pedal assembly, and the clutch 50% depressed (as far as I could go) it finally popped out. Lessoned learned on trying quick mods at 9pm on Sunday.
Thanks for your help RamVA and Sean.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the correct way is to depress the clutch all the way, then pull that pin out? When do you insert the nail into that hole to keep the spring compressed?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
So the correct way is to depress the clutch all the way, then pull that pin out? When do you insert the nail into that hole to keep the spring compressed?

The FIRST thing you do is to insert the nail.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, insert nail, then push the clutch with your hands? Wouldn't that be hard when the spring isn't helping you?

I guess I could wait till I actually HAVE my 996 before asking all these questions!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

So, insert nail, then push the clutch with your hands? Wouldn't that be hard when the spring isn't helping you?

I guess I could wait till I actually HAVE my 996 before asking all these questions!
Once the nail is in, remove the pin holding the spring assembly to the pedal, then push pedal down.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Then, while I'm there, I'll install my new ignition switch before putting back the air duct!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

helpful hints: DON'T DO THIS ON A FULL STOMACH LIKE I DID, YOU WILL GET SICK

1. remove the plastic air ducting thats in the way
2. remove the elecrtical switch by disconecting the terminal and twisting switch 90 degrees
3. I found it easier NOT to remove the clip and pin in the plastic male clevis
4. insert a nail or short piece of wire thru the hole in the pin that extends thru the back side of the sping canister to prevent the spring from fully extending upon removal
5. depress the clutch pedal as necessary and pry the complete spring and canister forward to release it from the gold bracket
6. maneuver the spring assembly so as it will drop out as the pedal is depressed fully
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you are wedged in there it will ALL make sense...

The pin has to be "monkeyed" around with for it to come out...it is not a "smooth" process but after a minute or so it will give...
Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by nick49
helpful hints: DON'T DO THIS ON A FULL STOMACH LIKE I DID, YOU WILL GET SICK

1. remove the plastic air ducting thats in the way
2. remove the elecrtical switch by disconecting the terminal and twisting switch 90 degrees
3. I found it easier NOT to remove the clip and pin in the plastic male clevis
4. insert a nail or short piece of wire thru the hole in the pin that extends thru the back side of the sping canister to prevent the spring from fully extending upon removal
5. depress the clutch pedal as necessary and pry the complete spring and canister forward to release it from the gold bracket
6. maneuver the spring assembly so as it will drop out as the pedal is depressed fully
aaaaaaaaaaaaand...if you have race/aluminum pedals, stick some duct tape or tape some rags to the edge of the clutch pedal otherwise you will end up hitting yourself pretty good on the tater....does NOT feel very good.

Thanks again to ALL that contributed to this. Maybe there should be a "sticky" placed on this DIY mod....
Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

You know?, it's funny. I explained this mod years ago and it never took off. Now, everyone wants to do it. I think that those who do it will get a better driving experience without this "sissy" device.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You know?, it's funny. I explained this mod years ago and it never took off. Now, everyone wants to do it. I think that those who do it will get a better driving experience without this "sissy" device.
I think it just sounded a LOT harder than it was...and there were probably no actual pictures to show the process...

And by the way, I must say you were my favorite person yesterday... Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I think it just sounded a LOT harder than it was...and there were probably no actual pictures to show the process...

And by the way, I must say you were my favorite person yesterday... Thanks again!

So, do you like the new feel and control?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay..... looks like i am in on this mod as well.... never knew why i've been driving manual for the pass 15 years and i have absolutely NO automatic, i would stall with this car....... Thanks for the heads up.....

Now..... can we get a group together to do this and the SSk...........? WHOSE IN???????????? looking for Socal PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those who just did the hack:
How about some driving impressions?

Sounds like a perfect complement to upgraded suspension and SSK to tighten up the car.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it just before taking the car out to have lunch today. The cartridge in my '99 is the old style in which the pin on the pedal is not held captive by the cartridge, so removal was trivial: just put a cotter pin in the hole in the rod, depress the pedal all the way to the floor and wiggle the cartridge out.

Pedal effort is substantially increased and in fact seems to be more than the effort required on the clutch of my F-250 diesel truck. But because there isn't a lot of pedal assist just as you approach the clutch engagement point, it's easier to pick up the engagement point quickly. And because the cartridge pivot point is no longer in there, the little annoying squeaks are gone.

One downside on my car is that the pedal now has a little play when the clutch is fully engaged (pedal fully out), making positive operation of the cruise control release switch a little problematic. This may be due to the earlier design present on my car as the later design uses a different pedal, which may have a different pivot point or may position the CC switch differently, or may be due to a pushrod adjustment issue - I don't know.

But even without that minor problem, I think it's too much pedal effort for my daily driver. I think I'd be happier with some assist, and will look for a lower-rate (maybe 1/2?) spring to replace the stock spring in the cartridge.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically