Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
I did it just before taking the car out to have lunch today. The cartridge in my '99 is the old style in which the pin on the pedal is not held captive by the cartridge, so removal was trivial: just put a cotter pin in the hole in the rod, depress the pedal all the way to the floor and wiggle the cartridge out.

Pedal effort is substantially increased and in fact seems to be more than the effort required on the clutch of my F-250 diesel truck. But because there isn't a lot of pedal assist just as you approach the clutch engagement point, it's easier to pick up the engagement point quickly. And because the cartridge pivot point is no longer in there, the little annoying squeaks are gone.

One downside on my car is that the pedal now has a little play when the clutch is fully engaged (pedal fully out), making positive operation of the cruise control release switch a little problematic. This may be due to the earlier design present on my car as the later design uses a different pedal, which may have a different pivot point or may position the CC switch differently, or may be due to a pushrod adjustment issue - I don't know.

But even without that minor problem, I think it's too much pedal effort for my daily driver. I think I'd be happier with some assist, and will look for a lower-rate (maybe 1/2?) spring to replace the stock spring in the cartridge.
You should have no problem with cruise control. Make sure the piston on the switch if pulled out fully.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
waldrondigital
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. My pedal has the squeak, so that immediately peaked my interest.
2. I ride through heavy traffic regularly, so is this mod not a consideration for me? My 911 is my one and only car. Mixed blessing I guess.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by waldrondigital
2. I ride through heavy traffic regularly, so is this mod not a consideration for me? My 911 is my one and only car. Mixed blessing I guess.
Even without the spring, the clutch operation is only half of what many of the old cable controlled clutches were. Can't imagine it being a problem for anyone who has legs.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right spray fixes the squeak.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
The right spray fixes the squeak.
Thought you weren't supposed to lube that spring/cartridge? What spray is this that cures the squeak?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by waldrondigital
2. I probably wouldn't do it unless you have a lot of problems with it now. It's pretty heavy without the spring.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Even without the spring, the clutch operation is only half of what many of the old cable controlled clutches were. Can't imagine it being a problem for anyone who has legs.
+1

If you can walk or your legs can carry your body weight without too much problem, you should be able to deal with the clutch just fine without the assist spring. It only feels hard because you are used to the feeling of stepping on a marshmallow instead of a clutch pedal.

I can still push it easily with my left arm, that I have severly broken twice and has mucsle tissue that never grew back as well as 13 screws in the ulna and radius. If your leg is significantly weaker than my arm, you may have a problem in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic.

Otherwise get after it and don't look back.

Oh, BTW the biggest reason my 996 was a pain in heavy stop and go traffic was the fact that the clutch had no feel and its like you were alway guessing where the engagement point was. Often having to over rev more than necessary and somewhat slipping the clutch and waiting for engagement to happen. If I didn't rev it enough and let the pedal out too abruptly, the motor would kill and I'd have to endure the painful embarassment of restarting the car and trying again.

This mod will make heavy traffic and stop and go driving much more pleasent, and shoud dramatically increase cluth life.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick49
+1

If you can walk or your legs can carry your body weight without too much problem, you should be able to deal with the clutch just fine without the assist spring. It only feels hard because you are used to the feeling of stepping on a marshmallow instead of a clutch pedal.

I can still push it easily with my left arm, that I have severly broken twice and has mucsle tissue that never grew back as well as 13 screws in the ulna and radius. If your leg is significantly weaker than my arm, you may have a problem in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic.

Otherwise get after it and don't look back.
Wow, you need a mod to fix your arm!!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Thought you weren't supposed to lube that spring/cartridge? What spray is this that cures the squeak?

Probably white lithium grease...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
hamilton
Instructor

I'm glad I'm not a retard. I have been driving manual transmission cars for the last 22 years and I kill the 911 at least once a week. I will have to give this a shot...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Wow, you need a mod to fix your arm!!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the 993's come with this spring device?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You should have no problem with cruise control. Make sure the piston on the switch if pulled out fully.
On the earlier design, the spring works to return the pedal as it nears full retraction. Without the spring, the pedal doesn't load the cruise control switch unless I put my foot under the pedal and pull it out. And then the next bump I hit is usually enough to unload the switch.

The geometry must be different with the later design.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:38 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
The condition of the clutch disc has a lot to do with how much force is required to operate the pedal so what might work in one car can be a total nightmare in another. Some testing that Porsche did on prior models to diagnose stiff clutch pedal complaints showed a 90% reduction in pedal force by replacing only the clutch disc.

Do the 993's come with this spring device?
It has something similar but you don't want to remove it. Without it the clutch will not engage and disengage properly 100% of the time but you won't notice it at the pedal, only a few thousand miles later when you start having trouble shifting the transmission into gear.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

I've been driving stick shift cars and trucks all my life and yet I stall my 2000 C2 at least once every couple of weeks. When I first got the car, I'd stall it two to three times a day. Once I stalled the friggin thing twice in a row - with dealer plates on it. Boy did I feel like a rookie idiot.

He11 I could go years without stalling the F150 pickup I used to have.

Now I know why. I'll give this mod a try soon.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically