bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

islaTurbine - You have PM!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Dkmiata
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought from a Meat Servo ( what my A&P calls us pilots ). *<]:0)

Why can't you take the original spring out and Dremel off two coils and flatten the top with a a sanding wheel. Then put it back together and reinstall?

Anyone try this?

David
Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Removed my spring today. Wow, pedal is MUCH more firm than I anticipated it would be, pedal pressure is more firm than my Viper ACR. But clutch engagement is now enjoyable instead of a vague empty world of pedal travel. Worth the 5-10 min to remove it.

If you spend a lot of time in traffic, don't do this.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed on the attached diagram on the first page of this thread, it says for a 2005 996 Is it the same for the older 996, like my 2000 C4 I am installing a new clutch next week and this may enhance the performance of the new clutch
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I noticed on the attached diagram on the first page of this thread, it says for a 2005 996 Is it the same for the older 996, like my 2000 C4 I am installing a new clutch next week and this may enhance the performance of the new clutch
Same. I have a '99.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's some helpful information on the removal:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I attempted this today. It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. I have included a picture for reference. As you can see, I am Pablo Picasso's disciples.

For those of you with the 996.2 (2002 - 2004) here is what is required:

1. Remove the airduct. You will see it when you get underneath the dash. The airduct has an "accordian" to it so you and pull it out. I pulled on the left side (window side) then pushed the accordian part towards the car. It will pop out. Slide the right side out.

2. Find a hook or nail (or something stiff) and insert it through the hole at the end of the assembly. Make sure it's secure.

3. Take your flat head screwdriver and pop the circlip off the rod. This part should be effortless. (Correction - the clip IS in the photo.)

4. Okay, here's the hard part - use your free hand/arm to push the clutch in as far as you possibly can. Take your flat head screwdriver and pry the rod off (towards your face.) Don't worry, nothing will fall on your face. The key is to have the clutch pushed in as far as possible, enabling you to pry the rod off the holder. Be patient and give it some effort - it WILL come off!

5. Push the assembly TOWARDS the front of the car (towards the frunk.) It should simply slide off. If it isn't doing so, it's likely the rod didn't pop out underneath the holder. If this is the case, get into your seat, push the clutch all the way and push the assembly UP so the rod points DOWN.

6. The assembly should slide off. You may need to fiddle with it, but it WILL slide off.

7. Re-insert the airduct. Installation is the same as removal. Start with the window/left side first. Give yourself a pat on the back and drive the car like it was meant to be driven.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

paypal payment made! Sorry it took so long, as I'm traveling at the moment
Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The replacement of the spring is much easier if you have an assistant (female preferably) to push the clutch in while you get the spring assembly out (and while you put it back in). Its very close quarters and you will be between your assistant's legs but its much easier than trying to hold the clutch down yourself...
Old 03-05-2015, 01:34 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjg1138
The replacement of the spring is much easier if you have an assistant (female preferably) to push the clutch in while you get the spring assembly out (and while you put it back in). Its very close quarters and you will be between your assistant's legs but its much easier than trying to hold the clutch down yourself...

How did you remove the OEM spring from the housing? Someone recommended a vice but I can't figure out how to put it into a vice without possibly cracking or breaking the plastic end.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine

How did you remove the OEM spring from the housing? Someone recommended a vice but I can't figure out how to put it into a vice without possibly cracking or breaking the plastic end.
Ditto.

I can't seem to get the hook out. It's stuck on pretty tight.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:55 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If I recall (I don't have a vice) I put the end opposite the pin in it on a hard surface (concrete), pushed down hard on the shell with my thumbs with as much weight as I could, and had my lovely assistant use a pair of pliers to pull out the pin.
Be really careful because as soon as you release the tension on the outer shell, the spring and everything else is going to go flying. Eye protection is recommended.

Luckily the new spring that you are putting back in does not have nearly the stiffness of the old spring so its pretty easy to gt the new spring back into the shell. No assistant required.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:53 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Default Spring Reinstall

Ok so here's what I did.

To remove the old spring I used 6 bricks, one laying face down on each side of the spring to make a protective box in case the spring flew apart. Then I put two on top on each side around where the little pin juts out of the back. I used the two bricks to evenly press down onto the piece and then my wife removed the small allen wrench that was in the hole of the pin.

To re-install the unit with the new McMaster spring installed, I did not use the broom handle tip to hold the clutch. It was putting too much pressure on my seat, even with a thick towel as a buffer. It was indenting my leather and foam and I didn't want to ruin it. So I had my wife (giggity...) help. Insert the round pin (with the clip removed off the end) into the rod/spring with the big plastic end. The hex head of the pin should face the passenger side of the car.

I had my wife then push the clutch all the way in and I inserted the unit into the holding assembly brackets. Make sure the spring unit is parallel to the ground when you do so. Then I had her slowly release the clutch and I guided the pin and unit into the mounting on the clutch arm.

After this, I had to get the hex head of the pin in the correct position to properly seat it into the mount on the clutch arm. So I had my wife apply just enough pressure to the clutch to release some tension on the pin and I used needle nose pliers to slowly rotate the hex head of the pin until it was in the proper position. I then used a flat head screwdriver in-between the hex head of the pin and the mounting bracket directly across from it, and levered the pin securely into the clutch arm. You have to do this a few times in order to determine if you actually get it into the correct position. The hex head will press flush into the side of mount on the clutch arm.

I then had my wife push the clutch in a little bit more to give me room to reattach the metal clip onto the pin (facing the drivers side of the car). I used needle nose pliers to hold the clip and allow me to reach up and slide it onto the end of the pin.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
nymart
Instructor

Finally got around to removing my spring today after putting in the Function First Transmission Mount Inserts last week. Hoping that the combination brings my driving experience to a new level. But given the weather in NJ this weekend, I won't find out until some time next week. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the helpful hints on how to get the spring out. Since I don't know whether I'm going to like the new feel or want to go with the McMaster replacement, I ordered 6 of the McMaster springs. I'll hold onto one, but if anyone wants one of the other 5, PM me your name and address and I'll send it out. No payment necessary, just pay it forward somehow...give the $5 to a homeless person or someone else less fortunate that could really use it.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:20 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

"No payment necessary, just pay it forward somehow...give the $5 to a homeless person or someone else less fortunate that could really use it."

Very cool! I've already got a spring, but I'm sure someone will take you up on your very kind and generous offer
Old 04-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Tper8181
Track Day

Default 987

Anybody tried this on the 987?

I imagine it will be exactly the same process / with the same improved clutch feel?

Local garage just replaced my spring and now I can't feel a thing, I think removal is the way forward.

However I don't want to have to use steroids to be able to press the pedal

Any thoughts would be great

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically