Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I couldn't get the new spring in after getting the old one out. The new part has a much wider canister and mine is RHD so there must be some differences.
Dan,
Please post the PART NUMBER that did not fit so you can help others avoid the problem ?
Old 11-12-2016, 05:55 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Dan,
Please post the PART NUMBER that did not fit so you can help others avoid the problem ?
Sure, i'll get it off the invoice soon.

It was definitely the correct part for my car (04' C2) as I didn't specify a part number to the dealership parts department when I ordered it due to there being quite a few variations.

Anyway I think the reason I couldn't get it back in was there must be a difference in RHD and LHD cars in the pedal area.

The labour charge was $315 (2 and a bit hours at classic pricing) and that was with me removing the old spring. They had to remove and re install my front seat.

Worth it though!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got to find out about the great clutch when you remove the power spring by default.

I got my 997 a few months ago and I have always felt the clutch was rather stiff, but with time I got used to it. I took the car out all day on Saturday for some real battering and there was heavy traffic, I came back home exhausted from all the clutch work, it wasn't a nice experience, I can't imagine this as a DD to work.

So I decided to look under the dash and I found out the problem, no power spring! This was one of the reasons the previous owner sold this car, he had changed the entire clutch hydraulic and still nothing, this is one of the great advantages of this forum, extremely helpful in so many areas,.......I'm buying a brand new power spring pronto! Thanks to all the contributors!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kaychub
I got to find out about the great clutch when you remove the power spring by default.

I got my 997 a few months ago and I have always felt the clutch was rather stiff, but with time I got used to it. I took the car out all day on Saturday for some real battering and there was heavy traffic, I came back home exhausted from all the clutch work, it wasn't a nice experience, I can't imagine this as a DD to work.

So I decided to look under the dash and I found out the problem, no power spring! This was one of the reasons the previous owner sold this car, he had changed the entire clutch hydraulic and still nothing, this is one of the great advantages of this forum, extremely helpful in so many areas,.......I'm buying a brand new power spring pronto! Thanks to all the contributors!
If you thought it was heavy with no spring, imagine it 10x heavier and that's what it's like with a broken spring. I'd hold in the clutch for more than 5 seconds and my leg would shake. Was also misdiagnosed as a worn clutch.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan_189
If you thought it was heavy with no spring, imagine it 10x heavier and that's what it's like with a broken spring. I'd hold in the clutch for more than 5 seconds and my leg would shake. Was also misdiagnosed as a worn clutch.
Wow! I'm trying to understand how a broken spring would be heavier than no spring though. I was also just preparing for a total clutch overhaul, but I read up the signs of a worm clutch in the forums and the car showed none of those signs.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow! I'm trying to understand how a broken spring would be heavier than no spring though.
The broken bits jam ! You are trying to get 'spring' out broken metal bits.
Delighted tht someone used Rennlist to fix this problem.I wish all Porsche problems were so simple - a spring from MacMaster Carr !
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Wow! I'm trying to understand how a broken spring would be heavier than no spring though.
Delighted tht someone used Rennlist to fix this problem.I wish all Porsche problems were so simple - a spring from MacMaster Carr !
Right makes sense! I've been very fortunate with my project 997 that I got in a terrible state for a good price, with the absence of good mechanics around here Rennlist has been an indispensable resource center to get my car working better and better as the days go by....
Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Yes, correct! Mine came out tangled in three bits, I just bought a replacement from the dealership as I couldn't get the macmaster Carr one. $100 aud IIRC.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Ok so here's my take on this power spring or no power spring thing. I've driven my 997 S for almost 5 months without the spring in there. The clutch was extremely stiff you need Thor thighs to enjoy it, it was always a let down for me and I couldn't DD it in the Lagos traffic, no way! So I bought the power spring

As you can see it next to my key, it's not a huge part and I thought what difference can this make? So with the help of a second leg pushing on the clutch, I changed this

To this

Clutch action, as soft as my 2013 Hyundai Accents clutch! This you can DD!

Out of excitement I called the chap that sold the 997 to me and he just told me he changed the clutch plate and disc, I thought it was only clutch slave and master. So basically he spent over a grand maybe almost two for a problem that cost me $120 plus shipping.

What's the difference between the two of us? I combed through the forums extensively for months!

I take time out to do this because if some of you fellas that put in good time with pitures to give fix instructions didn't do that, I wouldn't have had so many successes with turning my project car into a proper proper dream machine.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the instructions, yet another Porsche 997 DIY victory!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you remove the lower dash to remove the spring and canister?

Originally Posted by Kaychub
Ok so here's my take on this power spring or no power spring thing. I've driven my 997 S for almost 5 months without the spring in there. The clutch was extremely stiff you need Thor thighs to enjoy it, it was always a let down for me and I couldn't DD it in the Lagos traffic, no way! So I bought the power spring

As you can see it next to my key, it's not a huge part and I thought what difference can this make? So with the help of a second leg pushing on the clutch, I changed this

To this

Clutch action, as soft as my 2013 Hyundai Accents clutch! This you can DD!

Out of excitement I called the chap that sold the 997 to me and he just told me he changed the clutch plate and disc, I thought it was only clutch slave and master. So basically he spent over a grand maybe almost two for a problem that cost me $120 plus shipping.

What's the difference between the two of us? I combed through the forums extensively for months!

I take time out to do this because if some of you fellas that put in good time with pitures to give fix instructions didn't do that, I wouldn't have had so many successes with turning my project car into a proper proper dream machine.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the instructions, yet another Porsche 997 DIY victory!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Did you remove the lower dash to remove the spring and canister?
Yes I did
Old 12-05-2016, 01:22 PM
jb1007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't mind the feel of mine, but it squeaks. Whats the fix. Can you lube it?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by jb1007
I don't mind the feel of mine, but it squeaks. Whats the fix. Can you lube it?
I've read somewhere that you should not lube it, but some say they have but squeaks start again after a while, I noticed a few posts like that, I think one chap said it jammed and broke after he lubed it
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 cylinder that the spring sits in says do not lube. When I lubed mine with Boeshield Teflon spray the squeak went away.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello. I'm new to the forum and am now the owner of a 99 cab. (new factory clutch 2k miles ago)

I've only driven it a few days, but I would like to improve the clutch pedal. Mine has a couple of problems: First it extends out too far for my taste; perhaps 3/4 to 1 inch past the level of the brake pedal. Second is that it is difficult to feel the engagement point ("numb" as is previously described in this thread).

I would like to remove the spring as you all have described.

I would like to adjust the pedal stop (if there is one), but I don't know if there is a method to check the clutch bearing freeplay (to insure that the clutch bearing is not riding continuously on the PP.

Also, I was reading about the "zip-tie" mod which effects the throttle map after clutch release.

Does anyone here have experience/recommendations that they could share on a "total pedal fix" for me? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically