Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried it without the spring , then did the clutch kit , drove it for a bit

It was a lot smoother with the new clutch .
Then I thought I'd put the spring back in , and I decided I'd put a new one in .
I like it best of all now .
If you're not happy with the feel , you might try a new spring , it's cheap and worth a shot to get the feel you like
Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

I just purchased a 99 C2 a couple months ago and did this mod in the morning. IT IS A MUST for anyone looking for additional clutch engagement feel. Although this mod increases the pedal effort, I found the feel much more natural therefore increasing the smoothness of taking off, rev-matching/downshifting, and shifting through the gears.

I have the old spring cannister style with an open C to connect it to the clutch pedal. My steps for removal are below for anyone looking for more perspective.

Step 1: remove the plastic HVAC duct for more access to the spring cannister
Step 2: stick a nail through the hole at end of the spring cannister and hold this nail in place with your finger (hand 1)
Step 3: fully depress your clutch pedal (hand 2) and let go of the nail (it should be snug now that the spring has expanded due to a depressed pedal)
Step 4: continue depressing the pedal (hand 2) and use your free hand (hand 1) to wiggle out the spring cannister

I installed RSS motor mounts and black F1 transmission inserts before this mod and now everything is coming together VERY nicely! IMO pedal feel was garbage before with the power spring.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Good info. Adding to my list.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

don't know if i added this or not, but i have removed the spring and put in a much lighter one, mostly just to keep it from being sloppy, which it does admirably, and the set up now is unfugginbelievable(ala fish called wanda...) and this is a 997S, X51...just WOW, will never go back...
Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by kkswow12
i have removed the spring and put in a much lighter one.
Got a part number per chance?
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

for the lighter spring? sorry, it was something i found in my junk drawer, a big junk drawer...
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Junior 23
So did you just remove the spring canister all together not putting in a different Spring??
Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

so i am enjoying this to no end...as many say...transforms the car....i wouldn't say that, but thats just me, ccause, indeed, it does just that, never go back, i can;t, i WON'T...
Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Junior 23
So did you just remove the spring canister all together not putting in a different Spring??
That's correct! I just pulled out the cruise control switch (extended the button) so the clutch pedal rests against it (to retain the function) and left the spring out. I don't think I'll put one back in.

Before I did this mod, the spring was squeaky and my clutch engagement felt like I had issues with the slave or master cylinder and/or clutch. But after taking the spring out, the engagement is smooth as butter and ZERO noises. While I was down there I was able to inspect my master cylinder and no problems there.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Just to update my time with this mod..

I've done two lapping days with the clutch helper spring out and the shifter and engagement still feels great. In addition to a newly installed 997 shifter box, I have no doubt that this has improved my driving experience.

For (5) minutes of your time, this mod is definitely worth a try!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 PM
ACE51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the clutch helper spring and at first thought it was great, then it got old (the extra clutch presure) and I noticed I was stalling more... I put the stock spring back and I'd never go back, not to mention I could never get a strong enough piece of tape to tape that switch that alters the functionality of the e-gas (would give you lag when you floor it SO frustrating!)... Also, I don't know how you guys are removing the pin that holds this spring in without breaking the plastic mount, my pin was inserted backwards and almost required removal of the clutch pedal to get it out.

to each their own :shrug:
Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had my clutch replaced and my mechanic cleaned and lubed everything when he did the replacement.

My clutch feel like one on a brand new car. Super smooth, and just the right pressure
Oh yea, I have the stock booster spring
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Default interesting...

what do you mean 'alters the functionality of the e-gas ' what is the 'e-gas' ,i ask because, i have had a hesitation ever since i took out and changed the spring...i noticed this when first starting the car, thought it was just the car being cold, but it is still there, thought maybe it was a dirty luftmassenmesser, or mass air flow sensor, you know, that wire that measures air flow just before the air intake and after the air filters......SO.....is there something in the clutch pedal package area , a switch, like you say that needs controlling or something,,,,,,,sure would explain a lot... and i could fix it, cause she still runs quite well....oh, almost forgot, i just filled up the other day, and coincidentally put in gas one step down from the highest octane,just cuz, wanted to try it and then thought maybe the rough engine was from this, but nahhh, how could it be as it had started weeks earlier...anyway, answers here are much appreciated...and sorry for the long ,whatever you would call it,anyway, look forward to hearing about this....

Originally Posted by ACE51
I removed the clutch helper spring and at first thought it was great, then it got old (the extra clutch presure) and I noticed I was stalling more... I put the stock spring back and I'd never go back, not to mention I could never get a strong enough piece of tape to tape that switch that alters the functionality of the e-gas (would give you lag when you floor it SO frustrating!)... Also, I don't know how you guys are removing the pin that holds this spring in without breaking the plastic mount, my pin was inserted backwards and almost required removal of the clutch pedal to get it out.

to each their own :shrug:

Last edited by kkswow12; 06-29-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: editing
Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 AM
Slakker
Race Car

E-gas refers to the "electronic throttle cable". '99 was the last year of and actual throttle cable before it became electronic.

You might search throttle body calibration and try that or put it back to stock.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:19 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

i thought so, wondering though, how does this interfere or interact with the clutch mechanism, and where is the sending unit for the e-gas, i will try resetting throttlebody... thanks,

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically