996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take it if you still have it! I've been using the home Depot spring as well, I though it was very good. Didn't realize the MMC spring was better. So it is lighter still than the HD one?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perryinva
I'll take it if you still have it! I've been using the home Depot spring as well, I though it was very good. Didn't realize the MMC spring was better. So it is lighter still than the HD one?
Perryivan, are these springs available from the web. Please provide a link if possible. I am not happy with the heaviness of my clutch. New clutch kit, slave cylinder and clutch helper spring. Still heavy.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Colorado Bob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg1138
I just ordered the McMaster 9657k142 springs for this mod. 6 are coming. If anyone needs one let me know.
I have been using the Home Depot spring for a while and am hoping the new springs will provide more "help".

I removed my clutch helper spring about 2 months ago because of the inconsistent engagement in first gear. The clutch felt heavy but was more predictable. After waiting in line for 9 autocross laps this weekend I decided to try the McMaster 9657k142 spring that SJG1138 was nice enough to send me. The results are fantastic! It acts and feels like a clutch should in my opinion. I also purchased the Home Depot spring but I never put it in because looked too light and I didn't think it was worth spending an hour upside down with a mop handle in my face.
My thanks to whoever suggested using a mop on the back of the seat to depress the clutch using the power seat switch!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the McMaster spring from sgj1138 (thanks Steve!). Can't wait to try it out!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Coloradocurt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with the improved "feel" using the McMaster spring, but I have an annoying - and barely audible - click sound as the clutch pedal comes up. For others of you using this spring, is this common? If so, does it go away over time? And now that doing this mod is familiar and I'm guessing much easier the 2nd time, is there a suspected cause and solution?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 PM
CMSCGOLF
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i am 6'3 and 220, do you guys take out the front seat to get in there?? i came in from the side (using my jeep back seat as a platform to lay on from the drivers door) but dang that is hard to wad up in there and no way will i be able to press down pedal with the broom stick or helping hand. I am going to do ignition switch at same time, so want to limit my time in the "hole" any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I attempted this today. It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. I have included a picture for reference. As you can see, I am Pablo Picasso's disciples.

For those of you with the 996.2 (2002 - 2004) here is what is required:

1. Remove the airduct. You will see it when you get underneath the dash. The airduct has an "accordian" to it so you and pull it out. I pulled on the left side (window side) then pushed the accordian part towards the car. It will pop out. Slide the right side out.

2. Find a hook or nail (or something stiff) and insert it through the hole at the end of the assembly. Make sure it's secure.

3. Take your flat head screwdriver and pop the circlip off the rod. This part should be effortless. (Correction - the clip IS in the photo.)

4. Okay, here's the hard part - use your free hand/arm to push the clutch in as far as you possibly can. Take your flat head screwdriver and pry the rod off (towards your face.) Don't worry, nothing will fall on your face. The key is to have the clutch pushed in as far as possible, enabling you to pry the rod off the holder. Be patient and give it some effort - it WILL come off!

5. Push the assembly TOWARDS the front of the car (towards the frunk.) It should simply slide off. If it isn't doing so, it's likely the rod didn't pop out underneath the holder. If this is the case, get into your seat, push the clutch all the way and push the assembly UP so the rod points DOWN.

6. The assembly should slide off. You may need to fiddle with it, but it WILL slide off.

7. Re-insert the airduct. Installation is the same as removal. Start with the window/left side first. Give yourself a pat on the back and drive the car like it was meant to be driven.

When you say to "pry the rod towards your face", which rod are you talking about? The one that had the clip on it?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

^
Yes sir!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
^
Yes sir!
Thank you. I'm trying to do this now but my clip on the rod appears different than what's posted here. Mine is pretty much refusing to pop off.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Holy crap look at this thing. Nasty.

Clutch feel is so much better now. God knows what the previous owner did with this one.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used my vise too. I liked no spring at all but Mrs Ditto couldn't drive it without a spring so I went with the McMaster spring.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

You got it off! Wonderful!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine

Holy crap look at this thing. Nasty.

Clutch feel is so much better now. God knows what the previous owner did with this one.
whats that spunk in your spring????
Old 01-29-2015, 12:19 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by JayG
whats that spunk in your spring????
Buncha funky spunk. Someone greased that sucker up.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:55 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Well my cruise control no longer works without the spring. Looks like I need to install the McMaster spring. Anyone happen to have a spare I can buy? Or anyone want to split a new order of them?

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically