996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 03:36 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know that your clutch pedal sticks out as opposed to you brake pedal being in?

Brake pedal being in could be a sign of a brake issue.

Spring completely gone leads to a pretty stiff clutch. I tried it for almost a month. The in between spring suits me better.

When I was under the dash I didn't see an adjuster but I wasn't looking for one either.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did just look under the dash and I didn't see any pedal stop. While I don't know any potential problems with the brake pedal, what I can tell you is that, with my heel on the dead pedal, I have to lift my leg to depress the clutch... rather than shuffel/twist the heel to engage the clutch, I have to lift the foot to get at the clutch. It is awkward enough that I'd like to change this asap.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
I did just look under the dash and I didn't see any pedal stop. While I don't know any potential problems with the brake pedal, what I can tell you is that, with my heel on the dead pedal, I have to lift my leg to depress the clutch... rather than shuffel/twist the heel to engage the clutch, I have to lift the foot to get at the clutch. It is awkward enough that I'd like to change this asap.
I've spent a fair bit of time under there and read all the technical material, there is no adjustment that can be made. It's just the way its designed.

If its difficult to push in then there it could be one of two things (or both)

- Worn clutch spring
- Worn clutch

If you don't like the feel of the clutch replace it with the one listed in this thread. Without it the clutch pedal has movement from side to side and your cruise control may or may not work
Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The dead pedal is positioned so that both of your feet are at approximately the same distance with your foot on the gas

What were you driving before?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM
gtred
Racer

Yes Dan, it doesn't look like the pedal height is adjustable; unless the push-rod clevis is threaded... which it doesn't seem to be.

Jay, I find that I have to lift my foot from the dead pedal to get to to clutch pedal; rather than just pivot the heel. I've only driven it for a couple of days, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it. thx all!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes Dan, it doesn't look like the pedal height is adjustable; unless the push-rod clevis is threaded... which it doesn't seem to be.

Jay, I find that I have to lift my foot from the dead pedal to get to to clutch pedal; rather than just pivot the heel. I've only driven it for a couple of days, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it. thx all!
Yes, you would have to lift your foot from the dead pedal as it is lower than the clutch pedal
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM
gtred
Racer

Yes Jay. I just found the telescoping steering wheel, which allowed me to move the seat back a notch. It's quite a bit more comfortable to depress the clutch now as I don't have to flex my hip as much to reach the pedal. ...perhaps I can stave off that hip replacement a few more years!

Past cars have mostly been American/Japanese coupes and sedans. I think that this little car may just take a little getting used to.
Facebook Post
Old 05-21-2017, 04:24 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Just weighing in on this thread so anyone searching can see my symptoms. Downshifting from 6th to 5th, the clutch pedal didn't come back all the way up. I could 'reset' it with my toe and the gears shifted fine, so I was hoping it was something small.

Found this thread and removed the spring. Clutch pedal now travels all the way up again! Success. Like the early adopters of this, after the first couple of shifts I was ordering a new spring in my head. But I can tell much better when the clutch is biting, leading to more confident shifts if that makes sense. On the fence whether I will replace at this point, but glad I found I don't need a new cylinder. I wonder how many guys get new clutch cylinders, not knowing about this little part?

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Just weighing in on this thread so anyone searching can see my symptoms. Downshifting from 6th to 5th, the clutch pedal didn't come back all the way up. I could 'reset' it with my toe and the gears shifted fine, so I was hoping it was something small.

Found this thread and removed the spring. Clutch pedal now travels all the way up again! Success. Like the early adopters of this, after the first couple of shifts I was ordering a new spring in my head. But I can tell much better when the clutch is biting, leading to more confident shifts if that makes sense. On the fence whether I will replace at this point, but glad I found I don't need a new cylinder. I wonder how many guys get new clutch cylinders, not knowing about this little part?

Thanks again.
Ok so right after the spring change I changed the pressure plate, disc and other bits in the clutch as I started having mega slippage which was evident before the spring.

After clutch overhaul (I know I need a new fly wheel I saw it) my clutch pedal stopped going all the way up. I changed the cylinder and it improved but not all the way once in a while it gets stuck, not very happy with the way it all feels right now, but glad I have no slippage and I can drive hard without mercy.

So I can actually feel the helper spring now and I hate it, but I really don't want to go back to having to build up leg muscles like Thor, so I'm leaving it as as is and enjoying it and I will flog it real good because the next time I drop that gear box I'm changing everything!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
That assist spring is also the source of a famous squeak.

Bill
Nice to know. I have a squeak coming from the clutch pedal assembly under the dash and it is on my list to investigate. I assumed it was a pivot point that needed lubrication. I notice the squeak every once in a while.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I ordered the part from Pelican and am planning on having my indy install it, if that's something they'll do. Tight confines in there, and after the panic of getting the bolt stuck (before I eventually got it out) such that the car was not driveable, I just don't feel like messing with it. Unless someone tells me getting it back in is a lot easier.

I appreciate the better clutch pedal feel, but the pressure to keep the car in gear (at a light, for example) is just too much. Plus, my wife will eventually want to drive it and I don't think she could in its current state. I wonder if Porsche allows some degree of latitude in clutch pressure because they know the clutch helper spring will smooth it out. In other words, some of our cars will be easier to drive without this spring than others. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the mcmaster spring mod and I love it. Yes the clutch is harder but it's a great trade off to feel the friction point for a stick shift. I drive in norcal traffic and I can bear it.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
I appreciate the better clutch pedal feel, but the pressure to keep the car in gear (at a light, for example) is just too much.
You keep the clutch in at a light?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:37 AM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

So I did this mod today. If youre like me...(recently bought the car, hate looking like an idiot who can't shift, researched 996 clutch pedal and landed on this mile long thread)....I can tell you a few things. This whole process is really much easier than some people make it sound. Ill summarize below:

1) Get spring from home Depot. It's actually in the fence/gate hardware section in an orange box. Two large/two small for 4 bucks. Item number 684838.

2) You need needle nose pliers, and a decently solid flat head screwdriver.

3) As described, remove air duct by pulling window side towards passenger (compressing accordian) and then once that's sides free pull other side. Replacing the air duct was the most frustrating part until I just put the window side in first (it's an odd shape and you can only see 1 of the 4 corners).

4) Place a small nail or hook in from the top...use pliars to help drop it in. Note, I used a picture hanging kit eye screw which helped drop it in from the top....I tried with a wimpy picture nail but it bent pretty easily and I didn't like that.

5) You really just have to push the clutch in past the resistance of your nail and with a strong screw driver you can pry the gold screw loose (assuming you followed the directions above telling you to remove the clip with the pliars). It will not fall on you so don't worry.

​​​​​​6) Its just a matter of turning the spring assembly 90 degrees to get the back two pivots to come out...it's pretty intuitive to see what needs to happen to have it come out.

7). My greatest fear was the next part with all these posters saying to use a bench vice or lose an eye....nope. I tested to see if I could compress the spring by hand since you get a great grip with the two black pivot locations....easy enough to compress and just let your nail fall out and let it out slowly. Seriously, it's a 2 second thing easy enough for anyone with hand strength more than a 2 year old.

8) all the posters who talk about the long spring not fitting perfectly are technically right....but don't waste time trying to modify anything....just put it in and push everything back together and reanchor with your nail. Now take the needle nose pliers and tug on the spring a little to get it to seat nice on the end you can still see.

9) Reinstalling the new spring was easy...just twist it back up there and seat the pivot points. Then press the clutch all the way in with one hand and use the screwdriver to position the gold screw and slowly let the clutch out and it will all click into place. Use needle nose to put the clip in. If you didn't catch the most important part...stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just use your hand on the clutch....no crazy dowels or brooms needed....it's not that heavy and you only are pushing it down for a few seconds.

So that's my not so concise advice. I read all 36 pages...decided the HD spring had the best pros/cons breakdown and jumped in. I just wanted to make sure that anyone who was just in my position fully understands it's a pretty easy job and that most people were making a big deal of nothing.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks nychase for the simple writeup and everybody else who's added tribal knowledge for this fix. That's one of the most awkward and uncomfortable positions of all time to conform yourself to fit down there and be able to look up at the assembly. Whoever was able to do this in 10 minutes...I'm impressed.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically