Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 08:45 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Ask the AI to compare driving a 6 speed to a PDK, very curious what it says.
Driving a Porsche with a 6-speed manual transmission will give the driver more control and a more engaged driving experience. The driver will have to manually shift gears, allowing them to choose the gear they want to be in at any given time. A Porsche with PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe), on the other hand, has an automatic transmission that can shift gears quickly and smoothly. The PDK gearbox also has the ability to shift gears faster than a human driver can with a manual transmission. In performance situation, PDK can be faster, but for those who prioritize the driving experience and control, a manual transmission may be the better choice.

He must be a Rennlist member
The following 4 users liked this post by wyovino:
Optionman1 (01-14-2023), Porschetech3 (01-15-2023), TexSquirrel (01-16-2023), wdb (01-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 10:08 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Driving a Porsche with a 6-speed manual transmission will give the driver more control and a more engaged driving experience. The driver will have to manually shift gears, allowing them to choose the gear they want to be in at any given time. A Porsche with PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe), on the other hand, has an automatic transmission that can shift gears quickly and smoothly. The PDK gearbox also has the ability to shift gears faster than a human driver can with a manual transmission. In performance situation, PDK can be faster, but for those who prioritize the driving experience and control, a manual transmission may be the better choice.

He must be a Rennlist member
I know it’s semantics at this point but a PDK is an automated manual vs a shiftable automatic. Pretty sure the PDK allows you similar control as a traditional manual transmission. They’re a wet clutch and flywheel type system? Driving a Lexus ISF around Palm Beach Motor speedway as a Lexus employee really changed my mind about automated manuals.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:39 PM
mccahey
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not 996 But………

Just finished watching “Road to Le Mans” on YouTube, a Porsche four year project to get an actor, Michael Fassbender ready to race the Le Mans 24Hr race, absolutely fascinating 😳
The following 2 users liked this post by mccahey:
plpete84 (01-16-2023), TexSquirrel (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 10:06 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,786 Likes on 909 Posts

I've really enjoyed it as well! I think there is another episode to go. Very cool look at the behind the scenes. I'm surprised these types of docuseries are not more popular with different car makers or just other things all together....or maybe I just haven't found them. Years ago I got hooked on Beyond the Peloton, which was a fun docuseries about a new pro level cycling team. The bike brand, Cervelo, did a great job showing the behind the scenes of what it took to form a team, added some interesting rider stories and mixed in bike development information. At the end of the day it's all marketing but in a much more compelling package. I ended up owning one Cervelo brand bike!
Old 01-25-2023, 10:34 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default I’m back

I got my mojo back. Got the turbo in my driveway, smoking meats, grilling drinking my own bourbon blends. Have you guys herd about the infinity bottle. Basically when you are fixing to finish your bourbon about an 1/8 or less left, you blend that into a bottle. THe theory is that the most flavor is at the bottom. Anyway I’m getting one donee to see how it turns out.!

Football wings.

Those American Kobe burgers are pretty good.

The black knight is back.

Valvoline instant oil change royally screws a bunch of people. I didn’t wanted to sign a non disclosure agreement, I’ll be telling everyone stay the hell away from this people.

These are pretty awesome bought two of them today.

Ribeyes, garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes and asparagus with holandeis,IPAs and bourbon pours. Now I’m going on a food coma
The following users liked this post:
wdb (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:10 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I got my mojo back. Got the turbo in my driveway, smoking meats, grilling drinking my own bourbon blends. Have you guys herd about the infinity bottle. Basically when you are fixing to finish your bourbon about an 1/8 or less left, you blend that into a bottle. THe theory is that the most flavor is at the bottom. Anyway I’m getting one donee to see how it turns out.!

Football wings.

Those American Kobe burgers are pretty good.

The black knight is back.

Valvoline instant oil change royally screws a bunch of people. I didn’t wanted to sign a non disclosure agreement, I’ll be telling everyone stay the hell away from this people.

These are pretty awesome bought two of them today.

Ribeyes, garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes and asparagus with holandeis,IPAs and bourbon pours. Now I’m going on a food coma
When are you going to have a BBQ for the RL 996 guys?
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
Dr_Strangelove (01-26-2023), Mpfaff (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:33 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

+1
Old 01-26-2023, 02:20 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mccahey
Just finished watching “Road to Le Mans” on YouTube, a Porsche four year project to get an actor, Michael Fassbender ready to race the Le Mans 24Hr race, absolutely fascinating 😳
I will be at the 24 Hours of LeMans (in June) again this year. Anybody else here going?
Old 01-26-2023, 02:54 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Whenever you guys want to watch a get together.

Originally Posted by GC996
When are you going to have a BBQ for the RL 996 guys?
The big problem will be the smokers. The trick is to know how to clean burn, control your temperature fire management. Smokers are heavy. Most pit masters have their traveling pits. Yes I can cook on someone else’s. Meanwhile my breaskfas for champions. Flour tortillas in Comal, refried beans with lard and pork salt, blended Mexican cheeses, sliced Ribeyes, some sauce and my caffeine Coke Zero. Enjoy.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:09 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Cars and coffee durametric, beef soup

Went to cars and coffee yesterday. Formula garage in the heights Houston. 5 996s. My turbo, Tex squirrel FSI 4.0, a friend 99 factory aero, a pristine gt3 and a convertible. Parking lot was full. Anyway next weekend the club is feeding us fajitas for lunch. Awesome. I drove the the turbo because I have electrical gremlins that I need to solve. Made some beef soup as it got close to freezing this last week. Super tasty as I used beef stock , beef short ribs and beef back ribs, my wife loved it but say to put more beef 🥩 in it next time. like i really need more encouragement.

That’s my turbo, next in slate gray is Tex squirrel and by the fence is my buddy 95 993. We three have spent quite a bit of money in our cars last year. I bought the turbo, squirrel just spent almostb$40k in his engine and Alfredo did a 6 month windows out repaint that was about $20k.

Love that ducktail

Full event

Silver gt3, car is in pristine condition

I love that blue color.

What can you say, happy hour.

Soup was to die for, next one will have more beef.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:59 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 663 Posts

I see you leave the bones in too! I had a coworker who made a chicken stew like that. She chopped chicken legs and thighs into chunks and threw them into the stew, bones and all. First time I had ever seen that.

@TexSquirrel I'm jealous that you're already driving your 4.0! My engine is (hopefully) in Cleveland waiting to be torn down.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:10 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
@TexSquirrel I'm jealous that you're already driving your 4.0! My engine is (hopefully) in Cleveland waiting to be torn down.
Trust me, it's worth the wait!
In the last 3 weeks I've put 672 miles on it. (Darn weather has not been cooperating, but the weather forecast this week is looking promising!
As long as the temps are 40F plus, I'll be putting a bunch more miles on my 4.0 the next few days.
wdb (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:46 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Tuétano

Originally Posted by wdb
I see you leave the bones in too! I had a coworker who made a chicken stew like that. She chopped chicken legs and thighs into chunks and threw them into the stew, bones and all. First time I had ever seen that.

in some places in Mexico they will serve the bones cut in by half and a tastefully yellow like substance is in between the bones almost like human bone marrow. You put this inside a freshly made flour tortillas then you add some queso fundido and any kind of sauce. You roll your taco and flushed it down with a cold beer, taste buds heaven. Now I don’t recommend you eat this if you have high cholesterol or a heart ❤️ condition. I can’t wait till squirrel is able to let that 4.0 spin till 7000 rpms, I want to see up close and personal what all this hype is about FSI engines.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:55 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
I will be at the 24 Hours of LeMans (in June) again this year. Anybody else here going?
I might be home in time, think my projected date is June 15th.
DoubleNutz (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:01 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I might be home in time, think my projected date is June 15th.
The 24 Hours of LeMans race begins on June 10th... i will be arriving on June 7th.
​​​​​​
Staying in the Travel Destinations Motorsports Flexhotels Popup Village again.

https://lemansrace.com/motorsport-ev...mans-24-hours/

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 02-05-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Dr_Strangelove (02-06-2023)

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***