Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 08:41 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Whoa! Refill only half way? where did that come from? Is that before the new dipstick, and the reduction by 1/2 quart (litre)?? Please don't roll a hand grenade like that and disappear.
​​​​​His statement was accurate. I have never heard of a new dipstick, but with a stock dipstick and without a UAOS it is recommended to run 1/2 quart low which should be smack dab between the low and high marks on the dip stick. That's were I run mine with zero issues.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 09:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,669 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave a "bombshell", but I only had a vague recollection of this. This RL thread touches on it a bit => https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...over-fill.html

The above thread just says too much oil is not good. I *think* there was thread where Flat 6 recommended filling to halfway -- but couldn't find that post in a brief search. Hopefully who knows more and is a first-hand source (cough cough @Porschetech3 cough cough ) will chime in with more info.
The run "half low" recommendation is outdated info, this is before the introduction of the UAOS...

The "half low" recommendation was due to inadequacies of the factory AOS function...( UAOS correct this) ..

in 2002 the factory changed the dipstick as of eng # 662 11795 to be .5 qts lower ( due to inadequacies of the factory AOS function ....UAOS corrects this)

With UAOS the oil can be ran at "full " mark ...

With UAOS the engines after #662 11795 can be fitted with the "54" dipstick ( the before eng # 662 11795 dipstick) and be ran "full" on the stick..

With the UOAS + hm/XTDD any m96/97 can be ran .5 qts "overfull" with no issues... ( for track use) ...

The following 5 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
golock911 (11-02-2022), JohnCA58 (11-01-2022), Lady Silver (11-02-2022), peterp (10-31-2022), Type65 (10-31-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:27 PM
RuVaRo
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Skip, I also remember (must have been you) there was also a difference in color or shape for the dipstick handle in the old and newer versions, whereas the newer versions where changed to have a dipstick which shows ´full´ on the mark, but actually it was lower then before so there would be less issues with AOS, but less oil in the pan for cornering, thus less pressure... I remember I mus thave seen photos of it, so only by that, I knew what dipstick I am running with.
(Wow, I can still write long sentences haha)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:18 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,669 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by RuVaRo
Thanks Skip, I also remember (must have been you) there was also a difference in color or shape for the dipstick handle in the old and newer versions, whereas the newer versions where changed to have a dipstick which shows ´full´ on the mark, but actually it was lower then before so there would be less issues with AOS, but less oil in the pan for cornering, thus less pressure... I remember I mus thave seen photos of it, so only by that, I knew what dipstick I am running with.
(Wow, I can still write long sentences haha)
Yes exactly....

Here is a pic of the early 9.3qt "54" dipstick

Here is a pic of the after eng # 662 11795 8.75 qt dipstick ( note the "ears" on the side)

If you UAOS you can run "full" on the dipstick, and if you have the dipstick with the " ears" (55) I suggest you change to the "54" dipstick and run "full"...

It only took 20+ years to figure all this out ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
GC996 (11-05-2022), TheChunkNorris (11-04-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 02:57 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/996/comment...refurbed_make/

someone sent me this. what a nightmare haha
wdb (11-05-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 10:31 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 694 Posts

I attended an open house at a nearby auto restoration shop yesterday. Great environment, great people, great cars. Here a few of my favorites.

It's a real one and just the way I'd want it

Quite a mix of vehicles

Sweet mods on a street rod

Shark out of water -- hand formed aluminum body repairs underway

Another cat
The following 4 users liked this post by wdb:
golock911 (11-07-2022), jandackson (11-10-2022), Mpfaff (11-06-2022), TheChunkNorris (11-06-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:48 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 987 Posts

I don’t particularly like valeting my car but had no choice this Sunday while at a baby shower. Paid for “VIP” parking so it would be parked up front. The drop off was uneventful but on pick up… I noticed all the porters were huddled around my car AND the car was running.

The lead porter/manger was walking over asking them wtf they were doing. Mind you the porter who I left the car with was on break so the ones present had no idea it was my car. Apparently they were moving it because it was blocking “another car” and the manager shook his head while walking back to grab my ticket. At that point he realized the Porsche was mine, immediately jogged over to the other porters and told them in Spanish to stop messing around (literal translation is “stop eating dick and go to work”).

So I’m standing 10ft from my car that was running before I showed up and the porter tried reversing up a slight incline. Anyway I walked out the car because it was as entertaining as watching grass grow, told him to get out and I got it. Did I just prevent a modern Ferris Bueller moment?
wdb (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 09:04 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,965 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I don’t particularly like valeting my car but had no choice this Sunday while at a baby shower. Paid for “VIP” parking so it would be parked up front. The drop off was uneventful but on pick up… I noticed all the porters were huddled around my car AND the car was running.

The lead porter/manger was walking over asking them wtf they were doing. Mind you the porter who I left the car with was on break so the ones present had no idea it was my car. Apparently they were moving it because it was blocking “another car” and the manager shook his head while walking back to grab my ticket. At that point he realized the Porsche was mine, immediately jogged over to the other porters and told them in Spanish to stop messing around (literal translation is “stop eating dick and go to work”).

So I’m standing 10ft from my car that was running before I showed up and the porter tried reversing up a slight incline. Anyway I walked out the car because it was as entertaining as watching grass grow, told him to get out and I got it. Did I just prevent a modern Ferris Bueller moment?
Hah! You may have.

Just like you, I hate to valet mine. Back in the mid 90's, I was in Newport Beach on a business trip and went out to dinner with a client that had one of the new special addition Corvettes. Can't remember which one but it was white. I valet parket my Ford Taurus rental. He valet parked his vette. After dinner we walked outside to get our cars. My Taurus was retrieved pretty quickly, but after 20 minutes of waiting the vette still hadn't been brought around. In fact the valet guys had disappeared. Then the manager came out and apologized, it seemed that the valet had totaled the car. The kid decided that that he wanted to "punch it" to see what it could do and lost control.

Crazy...
Old 11-07-2022, 10:04 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,841 Likes on 933 Posts

Here's what a cool 15M buys you. Sounds broken at idle and glorious under throttle. Owner was a legend letting kids hop behind the wheel for photos.

The following 6 users liked this post by plpete84:
golock911 (11-07-2022), Porschetech3 (11-07-2022), SSDVC (11-07-2022), TheChunkNorris (11-07-2022), Type65 (11-07-2022), user 8298308 (11-09-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-07-2022, 10:08 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Here's what a cool 15M buys you. Sounds broken at idle and glorious under throttle. Owner was a legend letting kids hop behind the wheel for photos.

Bro people like that are amazing.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:11 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,841 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Bro people like that are amazing.
Yeah, the guy was very cool and down to earth. Early in my P car days not knowing too much I saw a gray 356 in amazing condition and said "wow that's neat" and the owner took great offense He said it's more than neat!
Old 11-07-2022, 11:11 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Hah! You may have.

Just like you, I hate to valet mine. Back in the mid 90's, I was in Newport Beach on a business trip and went out to dinner with a client that had one of the new special addition Corvettes. Can't remember which one but it was white. I valet parket my Ford Taurus rental. He valet parked his vette. After dinner we walked outside to get our cars. My Taurus was retrieved pretty quickly, but after 20 minutes of waiting the vette still hadn't been brought around. In fact the valet guys had disappeared. Then the manager came out and apologized, it seemed that the valet had totaled the car. The kid decided that that he wanted to "punch it" to see what it could do and lost control.

Crazy...
When forced to valet I take a pic of the speedometer showing mileage, then I show that pic to the valet manager, text it if he/she has a phone. Then I tip him/her royally at drop off and pick up. I wish I could do more, but I just don't know what.....
GC996 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:31 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,965 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
When forced to valet I take a pic of the speedometer showing mileage, then I show that pic to the valet manager, text it if he/she has a phone. Then I tip him/her royally at drop off and pick up. I wish I could do more, but I just don't know what.....
Not certain what to do other than park it yourself if possible. Tough to overide the emotion when a young guy is looking at your 911 or any cool car that they get to drive and valet park.

Here is one more sad but funny story. About 15 years ago, a local car dealer that deals in used performance cars had a used 996 GT2 that they just acquired. It needed some service so they had one of their guys drive the car a few miles down the street to the local porsche dealership for service. Along the way, the guy decided to punch it and lost control and the car ended upside down and if I remember correctly, it landed on a fire hydrant poking through the passenger side. Lucky for the driver.

This was when the GT2 was substantially more powerful than anything out on the market w/o any nannies.

Today, stuff like this keeps Youtube in business.

Last edited by GC996; 11-07-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:00 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 429 Posts

I take a different car if valet is required. Currently our GTI. A week ago I drove down to Santa Monica to visit a friend. I wanted to drive the 996, but, the hotel was valet only. The newer problem is the rarity of the manual transmission. The valet saw it and said, "oh, it's a manual" in an interested tone. Paranoia creeps in...

Tips and pics suggested by @Lady Silver seems like a really good way to manage it.
GC996 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 12:07 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by golock911
I take a different car if valet is required. Currently our GTI. A week ago I drove down to Santa Monica to visit a friend. I wanted to drive the 996, but, the hotel was valet only. The newer problem is the rarity of the manual transmission. The valet saw it and said, "oh, it's a manual" in an interested tone. Paranoia creeps in...

Tips and pics suggested by @Lady Silver seems like a really good way to manage it.
I forgot to mention my opening bid is that my 996 is a very valuable antique and my insurance carrier requires me to be the sole driver. They usually counter with "...our insurance requires us to park it...." Take it or hit the road.

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***