Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 01:38 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
We went in the 99, the turbo is currently sitting at a garage as the oil change outfit removed some tranny bolts and the detent ball and spring fell inside the transmission. The gear shifter is stuck and the transmission has to come out.
My god, where did you take it that they screwed it up a basic oil change that bad? Walmart? Hopefully who ever you took it to is making it right, although I doubt I would trust them to touch anything of mine ever again.

Sounds like a fun weekend though. Lots of Porsches over in Houston it seems. Maybe I will have to swing by an event next time I am out that way.

Last edited by Type65; 10-30-2022 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 02:27 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Valvoline instant oil change

Originally Posted by Type65
My god, where did you take it that they screwed it up a basic oil change that bad? Walmart? Hopefully who ever you took it to is making it right, although I doubt I would trust them to touch anything of mine ever again.

Sounds like a fun weekend though. Lots of Porsches over in Houston it seems. Maybe I will have to swing by an event next time I am out that way.
I took If to VIOC. Had to wait for the manager to get the oil change done. I showed him the oil filter on top and made sure with a rag they got remaining oil in filter housing and the he changed the gasket on the filter. Then I explained to him that this is a dry sump engine at a minimum drain two spots. I offer my help to showed him the two drain spots. I’m out of the car watching from behind but he didn’t let me go down, anyway before I know it he has taken got knows what, is recovering the gear oil etc. Then I saw him and a helper using the pump to put the gear oil back in and he told me what he had done. I could have showed him or he could have watched a quick you tube video. Or he could have said we don’t work on this cars. Yes engine started oil pressure was good but gear shifter wouldn’t move. He got in car and tried it. Then they ordered the new fluid from Porsche and no bueno. Finally I told him to tow the car to a shop in Sealy as the porsche dealership is expensive and all their mechanics are pretty young. Anyway thru the 996 turbo forum the guys told me exactly what happened which the mechanic already confirmed at the porsche shop. Transmission has to come out. I already spoke with Valvoline corporate, and definitely they will pay , if they don’t lawsuit. Anyway I send the rennlist thread info to the manager and regional manager. This should have been a 20 minute job, he should have either look at you tube or allow me to go down the pit and show him where to drain the engine oil from. I could have done the oil change myself, I just didn’t wanted to deal with the used oil, filter etc.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:46 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Not to a smart ***, but hopefully everyone learns a lesson from OP experience.

Not a car to take to entry level mechanics ( not so close relative, just graduated from Tech Mech school and this is his first job (Dippy Lube )

Tires and Batteries not even safe for some these run of the mill Shops.

Turbo little more complicated than most w additional drain spots , hate to see this happen w anycar...

Last edited by Mike Mullins; 10-30-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Dr_Strangelove (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 08:49 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

If nothing else, I learned that the Turbo has four drain plugs to do an oil change.

I guess I see how if I knew that fact and absolutely nothing else I could wind up draining the transmission haha
Old 10-30-2022, 08:52 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of a decent Mercedes forum, as good as this one? My buddy has a 550 AMG. He keeps getting check engine lights and malfunction lights and he keeps taking it to the corner mechanic for repairs. Yeah, he is stupid and won't listen, but I am trying to find an indy shop near him (Point Pleasant, NJ) so he can get his car fixed..............correctly, BEFORE he goes broke chasing crap with his corner mechanic. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:08 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
Just a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of a decent Mercedes forum, as good as this one? My buddy has a 550 AMG. He keeps getting check engine lights and malfunction lights and he keeps taking it to the corner mechanic for repairs. Yeah, he is stupid and won't listen, but I am trying to find an indy shop near him (Point Pleasant, NJ) so he can get his car fixed..............correctly, BEFORE he goes broke chasing crap with his corner mechanic. Thanks.
pointed three
SSDVC (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 09:27 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
MBworld is alright. My experience when I owned a Benz was that there aren't a lot of DIY Benz owners. Honestly, I think Rennlist is one of the better forums out there and I think a large part of it is, at least in the parts I frequent (996 and 944/951), is a good intersection between people with enthusiasm, skill, and enough money to do things right. Yeah, some people cut corners on this forum, but go to a Mustang forum and you'll see some real crazy things. This is also a huge forum with a lot of activity. There used to be a few good 944 specific forums, but they have mostly died.
SSDVC (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 10:28 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 224 Posts

Like Type65 says, there is not much help in the MBworld or any of the others forums, I have the diesel Benz and do my own work, it can be tough finding info on doing repairs or even finding manuals on newer model years. had a recall done on it last week for new EGR, diesel oxidation catalyst,diesel particulate filter and selective catalytic reduction unit. over 10K in repairs plus 4K in my pockets from class action suit. great car with great 35mpg and comfort.

Last edited by JohnCA58; 10-30-2022 at 10:30 PM.
SSDVC (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 12:08 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,605 Likes on 2,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I took If to VIOC. Had to wait for the manager to get the oil change done. I showed him the oil filter on top and made sure with a rag they got remaining oil in filter housing and the he changed the gasket on the filter. Then I explained to him that this is a dry sump engine at a minimum drain two spots. I offer my help to showed him the two drain spots. I’m out of the car watching from behind but he didn’t let me go down, anyway before I know it he has taken got knows what, is recovering the gear oil etc. Then I saw him and a helper using the pump to put the gear oil back in and he told me what he had done. I could have showed him or he could have watched a quick you tube video. Or he could have said we don’t work on this cars. Yes engine started oil pressure was good but gear shifter wouldn’t move. He got in car and tried it. Then they ordered the new fluid from Porsche and no bueno. Finally I told him to tow the car to a shop in Sealy as the porsche dealership is expensive and all their mechanics are pretty young. Anyway thru the 996 turbo forum the guys told me exactly what happened which the mechanic already confirmed at the porsche shop. Transmission has to come out. I already spoke with Valvoline corporate, and definitely they will pay , if they don’t lawsuit. Anyway I send the rennlist thread info to the manager and regional manager. This should have been a 20 minute job, he should have either look at you tube or allow me to go down the pit and show him where to drain the engine oil from. I could have done the oil change myself, I just didn’t wanted to deal with the used oil, filter etc.
Let that be a lesson for you also. Simple is not simple when it comes to Porsche.....

I remember at our dealership one time ( Porsche/Audi ) we had hired a new Master Volvo Technician on the Audi side. The Porsche side was covered up with work so the service writer gave a Turbo oil change to the new Volvo Master Tech...He didn't drain the remote oil tank and then filled with 9.3 qts oil..The car started bellowing out smoke ( customer waiting) ...Had to send customer home and remove all intake and intercoolers and clean out all the oil... ( customer pissed off) Everyone thinks they are a mechanic until something goes wrong..

How much money do you save by using quicky oil change places ?? Or more importantly, how much time do you save ??
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Dr_Strangelove (10-31-2022), JohnCA58 (10-31-2022), peterp (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 11:06 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,823 Likes on 923 Posts

If your shop needs youtube to figure out how to change any fluids you do not go to that shop. Period. All the sudden, the inconvenience of changing the oil yourself and dealing with recycling the fluids seems like a drop of water in an ocean compared to your headaches now. You can just go supersonic to any AutoZone and they will take your used oil with zero questions!

Off topic: I want one of these REALLY badly:

The following 4 users liked this post by plpete84:
Dr_Strangelove (10-31-2022), Optionman1 (10-31-2022), peterp (10-31-2022), Porschetech3 (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:39 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
If your shop needs youtube to figure out how to change any fluids you do not go to that shop. Period. All the sudden, the inconvenience of changing the oil yourself and dealing with recycling the fluids seems like a drop of water in an ocean compared to your headaches now. You can just go supersonic to any AutoZone and they will take your used oil with zero questions!

Off topic: I want one of these REALLY badly:

Don't we all !!!!
plpete84 (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:41 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Simple is not simple when it comes to Porsche.....
I don't want to pile onto what is probably already a painful experience, but truer words were never spoken when it comes to Porsche. Even for oil level, my understanding (correct if wrong) is that, at least for the non-Turbo 996, it is important to refill only to halfway between the marks, not up to the top line. Then there is oiling the oil filter house o-ring, torque spec on the plastic oil filter housing, torque spec on the drain plug (and different torque spec if you have a magnetic LN drain plug), ...
Old 10-31-2022, 07:40 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by peterp
I don't want to pile onto what is probably already a painful experience, but truer words were never spoken when it comes to Porsche. Even for oil level, my understanding (correct if wrong) is that, at least for the non-Turbo 996, it is important to refill only to halfway between the marks, not up to the top line. Then there is oiling the oil filter house o-ring, torque spec on the plastic oil filter housing, torque spec on the drain plug (and different torque spec if you have a magnetic LN drain plug), ...
Whoa! Refill only half way? where did that come from? Is that before the new dipstick, and the reduction by 1/2 quart (litre)?? Please don't roll a hand grenade like that and disappear.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:28 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Whoa! Refill only half way? where did that come from? Is that before the new dipstick, and the reduction by 1/2 quart (litre)?? Please don't roll a hand grenade like that and disappear.
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave a "bombshell", but I only had a vague recollection of this. This RL thread touches on it a bit => https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...over-fill.html

The above thread just says too much oil is not good. I *think* there was thread where Flat 6 recommended filling to halfway -- but couldn't find that post in a brief search. Hopefully who knows more and is a first-hand source (cough cough @Porschetech3 cough cough ) will chime in with more info.
Lady Silver (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 08:36 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Is that before the new dipstick, and the reduction by 1/2 quart (litre)??
What new dipstick? Never heard of that before.

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***