Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:07 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,432 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by golock911
Hmm... Seems like a lot going on other than an engine: tires, fender, bumper. Rebuilding the GT3 is my guess, fun!
U r confusing builds. @zbomb is causing trouble....

I am not doing anything with my motor except running it to 8k rpm next weekend for 3 days at njmp. Although, I will be using those slicks and upgrading my telematry this winter with his old AIM unit.

His old motor is for another. My house is basically half way for both parties so i am hosting and suppling lunch.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (09-26-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 10:10 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
@zbomb is causing trouble....
Me ? Never....
Old 09-26-2022, 10:35 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Facts:

An 89K mile drop out M96 is worth $10.2K

@De Jeeper and Mrs. De Jeeper and about the best people on earth. They were more than accommodating, fed me and the buyer and unloaded and loaded the motor for me. And, Aaron sent me back with some parts for the new build.

Now that some funds available, time to get some parts in. Stay tuned.

The following 6 users liked this post by zbomb:
Jnelso (09-26-2022), JohnCA58 (09-26-2022), Justin76 (09-26-2022), plpete84 (09-26-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-27-2022), yaz996 (09-26-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:57 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Big doings for me today - the gearbox has been dropped off to be repaired / refreshed and provisions for oil cooler and oil temp sensor installed. Will also put a new trans bushing in.

And... My buddy @Matt Romanowski stopped by the office and brought gifts... you didn't think I was going to go without Aim data collection did ya ? Well, what Matt dropped off is so, so much more than just data collection, I'll go into detail on the parts and what they do soon but for now, I just need to flex the bling... sue me. The parts below are an Aim PDM32 (Power Distribution Module), 10 inch Race Display, 12 button Keypad and the Trailbrake.com PDM Harness. I gotta say, every Aim part I have ever felt has radiated quality, the materials are really nice and the build quality is so good. The harness that Matt supplies is a huge value for what it is, I don't know a lot about a lot, but I do happen to know a lot about cable harness materials and construction and what he supplied is something I am genuinely impressed with.

The following 9 users liked this post by zbomb:
golock911 (09-30-2022), gtxracer (09-30-2022), JohnCA58 (09-30-2022), Justin76 (09-30-2022), Matt Romanowski (09-29-2022), plpete84 (09-30-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-30-2022), Type65 (09-29-2022), yaz996 (09-29-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2022, 07:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 937 Likes on 567 Posts

I can't wait to see your project, though now I'm thinking about rewiring my car to put a PDM in too. It's all your fault!
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Justin76 (09-30-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-30-2022), zbomb (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 01:01 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 428 Posts

Wow! This thing is amazing. It seems it will replace every button in the car except for maybe the key. And even then, the key would only be needed to supply power to the PDM and engine management. Very cool. I expect it will use any extra time you may have thinking of cool ways to use it. Off the top, it seems it will be easier to integrate the LS than trying to get it to talk to the current control system. Nice!
zbomb (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 02:13 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,432 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by golock911
Off the top, it seems it will be easier to integrate the LS than trying to get it to talk to the current control system. Nice!
yup...we already have figured out the mk1 abs integration. His ls harness guy is gonna custom the harness for the pdm. Just need to spend some time in the lighting and he will have a race car.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:44 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Both the Aaron’s ( @De Jeeper and @theprf ) have been so helpful in the planning. Having such smart people to bounce ideas and get help from is a big reason I feel semi-comfortable taking on a task of this scale.

Then I’ve talked to such good people from MFG’s, like today I spent a half hour on the phone with Setrab and got awesome advice, same kind of experience with Katech, Dailey, Aviaid, PWR, Matt, Wiring specialties and a ton others. Yeah, there has been some companies through talking with them I’ve chose to avoid, but for the most part, it’s been a fun part of the process getting to learn from the experiences of such smart people.

This post is not commercial, I have no deals in place with anyone, more meant to highlight if you are in, or thinking about taking on a project - put the keyboard away, talk to people, be it MFG’s or just guys on the forum who have experience and knowledge and you may get a lot more than you anticipated.

Last edited by zbomb; 09-30-2022 at 02:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
Justin76 (09-30-2022), Matt Romanowski (09-30-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-30-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:09 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Okey dokey... I wanted to do another technical post, this time about the PDM and why for some applications, it is a great leap over what comes factory, of course, this is situation dependent.

What is a PDM, PMU or PDU ? *** for simplicity sake, we will refer to all as a PDM***

A PDM (Power distribution Module) is a device that provides the electrical systems of a car with fused/switched power and does so using logic based programming as opposed to switches and relays. The PDM removes the standard fuses and relays from an electrical system and the associated wiring with those devices, this right off the top provides a benefit in a greatly simplified wiring harness that does not have any fuses or relays to fail. With the PDM, power is fed to the unit directly from the battery. The PDM has user definable outputs that will go out to power your electrical systems. These outputs can be configured in a number of ways and in their configuration, we get to the heart of why a PDM is a big leap over standard fuses and relays. Not having to physically replace a fuse to get the car running again could be the difference between getting towed off the road or track or making it to a safe place where you don't **** up other peoples days.

1. Each output can be configured to a certain fuse value, this allows you to control the current through the circuits the same way as you would with the fuse, but without the actual fuse. Instead, if the configured programmed current is exceeded, you can configure how you want the system to behave. In a standard fused setup, if your fuel pump relay fails, you will be left on the side of the road or track. With the PDM, not only can you set that fuse value, but you can also dictate that when that value is exceeded, you want the PDM to wait a certain amount of time and retry. So, in the instance of a fuel pump, your intention to try to be able to limp the car off the road or track may mean that you set the parameter to wait 10 seconds for the pump to cool and retry, you can then set the amount of times the pump retries before not allowing any additional effort.

2. Change behavior without re-wiring. Because now all of the power outputs and their triggers are set via software, you can change how and why each output is triggered and you can do so without having to touch any relays or their associated wiring. For instance, say that you want to disable all electrical load when the starter is cranking to ensure you get the max CCA to the starter as possible, when the starter button is released, you want all of those loads to immediately turn back on, in a PDM, this is configured through software with no wiring or changes to the relays or their function.

3. Simplified wiring - the removal of the fuses and relays means that for every device, it now receives 1 power wire going direct from the PDM, this removes all the fuse and relay wiring, which if you have every played around with the harness in our cars, is very substantial. This will allow the removal of a lot of wiring weight without the sacrifice of function of those items.

4. Button/Switch Management - In my case, ALL buttons and switches in the car will be replaced with one 12 keypad button assembly. This assembly has a total of 4 wires running to it to control the entirety of its function, if you have looked at the back of a traditional switch panel in a race car you will know how big of a deal this is. CAN HI, CAN LO, power and ground is it and through that keypad, all functions can be controlled and each button can be configured to control multiple functions or to act as whatever kind of switch you need, momentary, latching or multipositon. They can also be configured through their backlighting to alert you of the status, or if an error occurs with whatever it is they control. So, say you want to have your headlights controlled by one button. A tap will turn on the low beams, another tap turns on the high beems, another tap turns them off and a long press will trigger your flash to pass - really pretty trick and the configuration here really can go as far as your imagination.

5. Triggers - We haven't even talked about inputs yet. The PDM will receive inputs from a number of sources. It will read the supported channels in the ECU via can. It will receive analog info from the discrete sensors you connect to it, things like oil pressure and temp, it can also receive digital signals from things like switches, a brake light switch comes to mind here. Our outputs can be configured to react based on the status of these inputs. For instance, I want the radiator fan to come on when coolant temp reaches a certain temperature AND speed is below a certain temperature. In my case, the coolant temp input will come from the ECU and speed from the GPS unit, when the conditions I set are met, the fan will turn on with no input from the driver. Thats an obvious one but there are less obvious ways this comes into play. For instance, you have an incident or spin on track, you want to alert to the extent possible to other cars that you are disabled on track. You program the PDM that when your coolant temp is over 180 (car is hot and has been running), RPM = 0 (engine is NOT running) that you want the rain light to fast blink and your hazards to turn on, now if your a sitting duck in the middle of the track, you have at least given some indication to others on track that you have a problem and have done so without the driver having to do anything other than getting the motor fired back up and out of harms way.

6. Logging - The user can decide what inputs and outputs the PDM is seeing we want to log. This is simplistic in some cases where we want to log the ECU parameters and our discrete sensors but also can be applied to better understanding the power requirements of our car. We can log the actual current used by the devices being powered. This info can be helpful when assessing anything being driven by an electric motor for instance as many times as they reach the end of their life, the current draw will be elevated over when they are new. This data can alert you to a problem with these devices before it leaves you in a bad spot, like at the track without a spare.

There is a lot more and for anyone who really wants to geek out, head over and watch some of the Aim webinars, they are really info packed and do a much more thorough job than I can but I hope this has been informative to those who weren't well versed in the relatively new (to normal track guys) tech available.

Last edited by zbomb; 10-03-2022 at 09:53 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by zbomb:
golock911 (10-03-2022), gtxracer (10-03-2022), hkovalcik (10-05-2022), Justin76 (10-03-2022), Matt Romanowski (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:49 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

We run the Motec PDM in my car. It's slick. As Zbomb mentioned above, it basically replaces all fuses associated with the OEM harness. There are a couple of fuses still required for high draw items like the power steering pump and a Chillout system but that's about it. We ditched the whole OEM harness altogether, all 60 lbs of it. No ignition switch required either. The PDM integrates with the Motec C1812 dash and the M150 ECU. The programming is virtually limitless. Technology is great.....

The following 7 users liked this post by powdrhound:
501Max (10-03-2022), Dr_Strangelove (10-03-2022), Justin76 (10-03-2022), Matt Romanowski (10-04-2022), plpete84 (10-03-2022), TheChunkNorris (10-03-2022), zbomb (10-03-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by powdrhound
We run the Motec PDM in my car. It's slick. As Zbomb mentioned above, it basically replaces all fuses associated with the OEM harness. There are a couple of fuses still required for high draw items like the power steering pump and a Chillout system but that's about it. We ditched the whole OEM harness altogether, all 60 lbs of it. No ignition switch required either. The PDM integrates with the Motec C1812 dash and the M150 ECU. The programming is virtually limitless. Technology is great.....
It is so cool ! The flexibility is something that I am still yet to wrap my head fully around, working pretty hard at getting there though.

I haven't gotten to the physical wiring end, it's likely I will retain some of the factory wiring for ease of install and the fact the car is not going down to a tub - the main goal will be that I leave myself options for what I may want to do in the future, I have always wanted a proper motorsport harness with sensors coming out my ears and every wire having a Deutsch auto sport connector on the end of it, but not something I can say I need right now and I don't want to venture down that road until I am ready to do it right. One day I'll find a used DTM/F1/WRC etc... harness for sale I can pillage

And John - That Motec stuff is a HARD flex my guy, especially the C1812. I hate how much I dig your style.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:01 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
It is so cool ! The flexibility is something that I am still yet to wrap my head fully around, working pretty hard at getting there though.

I haven't gotten to the physical wiring end, it's likely I will retain some of the factory wiring for ease of install and the fact the car is not going down to a tub - the main goal will be that I leave myself options for what I may want to do in the future, I have always wanted a proper motorsport harness with sensors coming out my ears and every wire having a Deutsch auto sport connector on the end of it, but not something I can say I need right now and I don't want to venture down that road until I am ready to do it right. One day I'll find a used DTM/F1/WRC etc... harness for sale I can pillage

And John - That Motec stuff is a HARD flex my guy, especially the C1812. I hate how much I dig your style.
Thanks Jason. Yeah, the C1812 is slick. Infinitely programmable especially if you have the Motec image creator that allows you to design custom layout for any of its multiple pages. Making the vehicle harness is a huge job. This is just the engine harness part of it when it was getting pinned out.

The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
golock911 (10-05-2022), zbomb (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Making a cable like this is a labor of love! Nice work. if you don't know anything about quality, this job will teach you.
zbomb (10-05-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 01:06 PM
zbomb
Race Car

So, picked up a 5.3 to use as a mock up. This will let me do things like confirm accessory fitment, figure out headers and work on line routing for both water and the dry sump.

I am planning on sending the headers to header shield for their heat shielding, if you guys have not seen what they do, it’s worth a look… it is not however inexpensive so I want to make sure I have the exhaust well planned and fitted before sending and hopefully giving Kam and the crew there plenty of time to do their thing.

The dry sump parts are expected to ship on the 18th so having an engine in the car will let me make a lot of progress there and to do so with no real time crunch influencing decisions.

Paid $100 for the long block, I could put it back together so cheap it’s screaming for a turbo and a million PSI of boost when it finishes its primary purpose. For now, going to pull the rotating parts out to take a little weight out and make it not disgusting.

The following 6 users liked this post by zbomb:
JohnCA58 (10-06-2022), plpete84 (10-06-2022), TexSquirrel (10-07-2022), TheChunkNorris (10-06-2022), Type65 (10-06-2022), wdb (10-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,287 Posts

So you're still planning on using your G96.01 for the LS, right?
If so, do you know how much HP the G96.0x can handle?

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996