996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The "Ultimate AOS Solution"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 03:58 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks, guys. I can't even see the AOS from below the car (it's a Tip) so i guess its the open end wrench technique. I have both plenums out so I'll wrestle with it this afternoon. These are bolts, not Torx's so i can get a wrench on it, thank goodness. Better first stock up on 10 mm wrenches, sounds like I'll be leaving a few in there, as well a a pound of flesh . I have a stubby 1/4 ratchet but it won't fit on this back bolt anyway with the stupid AOS sitting on top of the bolt.

I always felt that before a car design is approved, the designers need to do all the basic repairs with hand tools in their garages without a lift, when it is either <50 degrees or 100+ degrees in the garage. Only then can the design go to production. This is one of those examples.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
Thanks, guys. I can't even see the AOS from below the car (it's a Tip) so i guess its the open end wrench technique. I have both plenums out so I'll wrestle with it this afternoon. These are bolts, not Torx's so i can get a wrench on it, thank goodness. Better first stock up on 10 mm wrenches, sounds like I'll be leaving a few in there, as well a a pound of flesh . I have a stubby 1/4 ratchet but it won't fit on this back bolt anyway with the stupid AOS sitting on top of the bolt.

I always felt that before a car design is approved, the designers need to do all the basic repairs with hand tools in their garages without a lift, when it is either <50 degrees or 100+ degrees in the garage. Only then can the design go to production. This is one of those examples.
Have you tried something like this? 1/4 drive 10mm -" low profile", will work up to 40 degree angle. Will go into places you wouldn't think it would go. May not back the bolt all the way out if it hits something above, but can get it loose and backed out a ways , then spin it with your fingers..

I have so many small special tools that sometimes the biggest problem is deciding which one to use when several will work..

Old 04-06-2020, 08:05 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I've just ordered on of those. (but not Snap-On, I'm a poor retired guy :-) )

By the time this project is done i'll have more small tools that i ever thought i'd need.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

So i pulled the intake on the drivers side and removed the bad aos. I also found a few other things that need to be done while in in there like vacuum lines. What are u guys just using to replace the rigid tubes? Im guessing just parts store replacement pieces? I also bought hose 4 on the aos diagram above, do u have to pull the passenger side intake to get to the other side connection? Not a big deal as i should probably pull it anyways and vac off the top of the motor. There was a lot of debris on the drivers side.

also do u guys think the po was real lucky and caught a fuel line leak before the car went up like a match box?

Back of intake

Old 04-07-2020, 11:26 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Have you lowered the motor?
Can you get the 2 AOS bolts loose first? If you can get the AOS lifted a bit that might make it easier to get a short stubby socket on the "bitch bolt".
Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
So i pulled the intake on the drivers side and removed the bad aos. I also found a few other things that need to be done while in in there like vacuum lines. What are u guys just using to replace the rigid tubes? Im guessing just parts store replacement pieces? I also bought hose 4 on the aos diagram above, do u have to pull the passenger side intake to get to the other side connection? Not a big deal as i should probably pull it anyways and vac off the top of the motor. There was a lot of debris on the drivers side.

also do u guys think the po was real lucky and caught a fuel line leak before the car went up like a match box?

Back of intake

It's certainly possible... The damaged/missing foam is more likely rodents though... They love to use that for nesting... Not sure about the plenum itself...does it look melted or chewed? If you can get it to stick, it might be worthwhile trying to get some polyester resin on there to make sure it doesn't crack further and leak... Good Luck
Old 04-07-2020, 02:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

Back of intake

I think you are exactly correct !!! The PO was indeed very lucky that car wasn't burned to the ground !!!

That plastic manifold will not melt like that unless the ambient temp gets to 350F (180C for non-US people lol). The only way it can get to that temp is for there to be FIRE !!

Luck was on his side that the fire snuffed its self out before it got really going..( I don't see any sign of fire-extinguisher residue)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:27 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Have you lowered the motor?
Can you get the 2 AOS bolts loose first? If you can get the AOS lifted a bit that might make it easier to get a short stubby socket on the "bitch bolt".
I've lowered the engine. I'll try to get back around to the AOS and loosen the bolts and see. i need longer, more bendable arms and fingers..... I am certainly using all of my vocabulary on this project :-)
Old 04-07-2020, 04:05 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

I've lowered the engine. I'll try to get back around to the AOS and loosen the bolts and see. i need longer, more bendable arms and fingers..... I am certainly using all of my vocabulary on this project :-)
Agreed....this one will test every ounce of your patience and then some. If you get frustrated, walk away and have a beer. Let it sit and then come back to it. I did it and will never forget the almost impossible situations you will encounter. It's doable but difficult. Hang in there.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:07 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Just picked up a case of Stone IPA, so I may survive this.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Agreed....this one will test every ounce of your patience and then some. If you get frustrated, walk away and have a beer. Let it sit and then come back to it. I did it and will never forget the almost impossible situations you will encounter. It's doable but difficult. Hang in there.

so happy i have 3.4 and didnt have to deal with this bolt or maybe i was lucky and it wasnt that bad. I had already unbolted the aos and pushed it over. I was able to get a 1/4", 10mm deep socket with a 3" extension on it from above and break it free. Im sure torquing for install will be more difficult. Ill probably drop the engine some.

Neither my intake or plenum tube were burt through so no need to replace or repair, but they are most deffinately melted. Im guessing a mechanic messed something up and was able the extingish it quickly. Maybe it was residual fuel? I dont think any of the previous owners worked on this car themselves based on the limited history i have. Sadly still waiting on parts so no progress on my uaos install.

Last edited by De Jeeper; 04-07-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@ De Jeeper you can get the nylon vacuum hose through Porsche for about $8 per meter 4mmOD 00004320501
Old 04-08-2020, 12:00 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
@ De Jeeper you can get the nylon vacuum hose through Porsche for about $8 per meter 4mmOD 00004320501
thx. I finally figured out how autoatlanta had it listed. I also got all new rubber elbows. After pulling the pass intake i need to buy a few more clips and parts from them tomow. Im glad i spent the time to pull the intake and replace the aos cross over tube from the pass side. I dont think the tube was leaking but it was brittle. The issue i really think i found was where my oil leak on the back pass side was coming from. Looks like the o-ring on the 90* fitting that goes into the head from the aos tube was leaking. Glad i didnt have to waste time replacing the wrong parts.

Visable leak.

blue towel is where the fitting goes into the head

Old 04-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@ De Jeeper , that elbow on the bank 2 side head also has a pop-off valve on it that can leak oil.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
@ De Jeeper , that elbow on the bank 2 side head also has a pop-off valve on it that can leak oil.
Is there a wsy to test it or does it just pop-off when the aos is bad. Need to order one asap if u think it should be replaced

Quick Reply: The "Ultimate AOS Solution"