The "Ultimate AOS Solution"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 02:37 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Warning!
Make sure the clamp tool is seated squarely on the spring clamp before you squeeze. Mine slipped to the side, wedged in the tool and locked up, it took me a real (hours) long time to get it free...Buy a good quality tool and not the cheap ones that break mid-stream.
I've had this happen its a PITA! I need a better quality one as my $19 eBay job is almost EOL...
Old 04-04-2020, 05:38 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

@Porschetech3
So I've decided that I now have time (unfortuantely) to install the UAOS.
What else should I replace while I'm in there?
I'm guessing #4, 10, 12, and 13
Any other o-rings or clamps need replacing too? (I have a Craftsman hose clamp tool with the long cable)
What was the part number for the fancy hose clamp with clip? (also how many do I need?)
I'm creating an order so I'll have everything ready when I start.
I'll be replacing the plastic T(18?) while I'm at it. (I already have that part)
Will I need much coolant? (I have a gallon at least)
Will I lose much oil? (I have 8quarts of DT40)

Anything else I should consider before starting...intake manifold gaskets, etc?

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I've had a lot more mechanic work requests lately.
I've started declining work.
Went from too much work, to no one wants me to touch their car until quarantine is over.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
@Porschetech3
So I've decided that I now have time (unfortuantely) to install the UAOS.
What else should I replace while I'm in there?
I'm guessing #4, 10, 12, and 13
Any other o-rings or clamps need replacing too? (I have a Craftsman hose clamp tool with the long cable)
What was the part number for the fancy hose clamp with clip? (also how many do I need?)
I'm creating an order so I'll have everything ready when I start.
I'll be replacing the plastic T(18?) while I'm at it. (I already have that part)
Will I need much coolant? (I have a gallon at least)
Will I lose much oil? (I have 8quarts of DT40)

Anything else I should consider before starting...intake manifold gaskets, etc?
Hi Bruce, since yours is a 996.2 you won't need #10 or the clamps with the fancy hold tool, they are for 996.1 only. Part #4 is a good idea and 12 13 and intake gaskets/o-rings also.

You won't lose any coolant if you have 3 hose clamp tools like so, https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MyhJegUIARCcAw no need to drain coolant, only a couple ounces will be lost.

You won't loose any oil.

If I can of any more help just let me know

Old 04-04-2020, 06:15 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Hi Bruce, since yours is a 996.2 you won't need #10 or the clamps with the fancy hold tool, they are for 996.1 only. Part #4 is a good idea and 12 13 and intake gaskets/o-rings also.

You won't lose any coolant if you have 3 hose clamp tools like so, https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MyhJegUIARCcAw no need to drain coolant, only a couple ounces will be lost.

You won't loose any oil.

If I can of any more help just let me know
OK, thanks.
Yeah, I have about a dozen of those hose tools in various sizes.
I'll be tackling this as soon as I get all the needed parts.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 04-05-2020 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 09:19 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

So how does one get to this stupid bolt with the engine in the car? I cant even get an open end wrench back there. It seems like the AOS is sitting right above it and there's about a finger width gap above it. This is my engine on the stand during the rebuilt, it doesn't look that clean or accessable now

Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
So how does one get to this stupid bolt with the engine in the car? I cant even get an open end wrench back there. It seems like the AOS is sitting right above it and there's about a finger width gap above it. This is my engine on the stand during the rebuilt, it doesn't look that clean or accessable now

To get to that bolt, unbolt the AOS first and pull it away from the block. At that point you will be able to access the last manifold bolt.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:45 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

So i thought my old aos was good but im glad i tested it again. Its now pulling 13 in at idle and 18 at 1200 rpm. Not good so i guess im getting a new one. Do u want my old one for research? Also gonna order a bunch of small parts from the diagram above.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 PM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 346 Likes on 132 Posts

I was able to get a smaller open end wrench with the AOS still in place tightning with small amount of movement.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:38 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Good to see you started the install..If you need help just ask..

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
To get to that bolt, unbolt the AOS first and pull it away from the block. At that point you will be able to access the last manifold bolt.
Thanks for helping out Kris , this is a tough job for someone who has never done it or doesn't do it for a living..but I know you are a Pro at it...

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
So i thought my old aos was good but im glad i tested it again. Its now pulling 13 in at idle and 18 at 1200 rpm. Not good so i guess im getting a new one. Do u want my old one for research? Also gonna order a bunch of small parts from the diagram above.
I don't need that one, that is the usual MOF. I only wanted Bills because he said it was showing -2inh2o then would go to Positive +30inh2o slowly like it had a blockage. I have never seen one do that.

Originally Posted by cwbrown
I was able to get a smaller open end wrench with the AOS still in place tightning with small amount of movement.
Using an open end wrench and turning 1/6 turn at a time is torture !!!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I dropped 3 10mm sockets trying to access from the left side. Couldn’t do it. Finally was able to get a wrench in there from the right side - once both plenums were removed.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:43 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian_C
I dropped 3 10mm sockets trying to access from the left side. Couldn’t do it. Finally was able to get a wrench in there from the right side - once both plenums were removed.
Like the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat"..
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_C
Be glad your manifolds are secured with 10mm bolts so you can use a wrench. Those of us with remanufactured engines have the damn internal torx to deal with so you have to figure out how to get a socket on.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:48 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Besides that being the hardest bolt on the manifold to remove, my difficulty was working with my left arm exclusively down the length of the manifold to remove painfully one small turn at a time working to remove that bolt. I ended up wrapping my entire left arm with an ace bandage because I had already wounded my left arm pretty bad. As I said in another thread on AOS removal/replacement, if there is a next time either the entire engine is coming out or I will gladly pay whatever amount of money it takes to have someone else do this PITA job.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Be glad your manifolds are secured with 10mm bolts so you can use a wrench. Those of us with remanufactured engines have the damn internal torx to deal with so you have to figure out how to get a socket on.
Not sure why, but when I did my motor swap I replaced the Torx bolts with 10mm and glad I did. I bought a micro 1/4 drive ratchet after my first replacement and totally forgot about it when I did the second 6mos later. Still not sure it would have worked though...

Quick Reply: The "Ultimate AOS Solution"