Sponsored by:

The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Finally got Speedy back on the lift. Swapped out the old whistling beer bottle.

Shifted the trans and engine rearward about 3/16". I have detected a little unusual handling when the car raises up on the suspension under hard acceleration. The only difference, I can figure, is the location of the engine and trans. We'll have to see if this is it. It could be my imagination, but it doesn't seem to have that "planted" feel I remember.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Spotted a little drop of oil on the floor under the car. There's a little weeping at the front of the sump plate. Looks like good incentive to pull the plate when I drain out the break-in oil. Everything else looks dry and reasonably clean.

Removed the crappy LF inner fender liner and installed one that looks better.

Added the little side vent. Looks as though there is still one piece missing. Maybe a vertical flap?

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-05-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Added the little side vent. Looks a thought there is still one piece missing. Maybe a vertical flap?
This what the flap looks like a '99 C2. You can see in your pic where there should be speed nuts to fasten to.

The following users liked this post:
Scott at Team Harco (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
This what the flap looks like a '99 C2. You can see in your pic where there should be speed nuts to fasten to.

That's definitely it. Pretty much exactly what I envisioned. It would be the first thing to get taken out at a RallyCross.

Thanks for quoting me, too. I have to laugh at the typos and spelling mistakes. I'm working on some ideas for robustness and protection. Not much is needed at the front, except protecting the nose and keeping debris out of the radiators. Figure I'll be testing the winter tires on the car soon. I did a quick look at (potential) tire clearance issues at the rear. I don't think there will be a problem. The inner fenders are not at risk in jounce.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:58 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Thanks for quoting me, too. I have to laugh at the typos and spelling mistakes.
lol, I didn't even catch that when I was quoting you. I usually proofread my posts before hitting submit and still have dumb typos.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Mounted and balanced the front winter tires. Good timing. We've had about four straight days with highs in the 90s. And three or four more to come.

When I bought these, the specs posted indicated that the diameter of these two sizes were identical (to the tenth of an inch). As soon as they were delivered, I could tell the rears were significantly taller. The fronts are only about 1/4" taller that the stock tires.

The rears are closer to 3/4" taller. I'll have to calculate the delta between the two. The front diff might not appreciate such a difference.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-06-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Just when everything was coming up roses.

I installed the winter wheels/tires today and went to back out of the garage for a couple of quick photos. Only one problem; I couldn't move. Checked the fronts since they are so very close to the calipers. Nope, no problem there. Had to get the car in the air to see if something was interfering at the rear. It was clear the calipers were not interfering.

What do you know? The rear track rod is contacting the inside of the wheel. I thought I was so clever making 16" wheels work. Turns out they don't, and I'm not so clever after all. Need to find some 17 x 8 wheels now (and tires to match). It's obvious I didn't do a thorough job of checking these outside of brake concerns.

It did look nice for five minutes or so.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:48 PM
kwright997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Shifted the trans and engine rearward about 3/16". I have detected a little unusual handling when the car raises up on the suspension under hard acceleration. The only difference, I can figure, is the location of the engine and trans. We'll have to see if this is it. It could be my imagination, but it doesn't seem to have that "planted" feel I remember.
I have always been curious if the position of a reinstalled engine made a difference in these cars. I've never noticed any differences in handling in customers cars, but have never been able to actually test with a car I drive regularly. Did you feel any difference after shifting the engine back? Which position lined up with the original position?

The new rims and tires looked great! Too bad they will not work! Forgive me if you have explained this already, but what is the reasoning for wanting to go with 16" rims and mounting snow tires in the middle of summer? Do you just want to be REALLY prepared incase of a freak snowstorm?!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwright997
I have always been curious if the position of a reinstalled engine made a difference in these cars. I've never noticed any differences in handling in customers cars, but have never been able to actually test with a car I drive regularly. Did you feel any difference after shifting the engine back? Which position lined up with the original position?

The new rims and tires looked great! Too bad they will not work! Forgive me if you have explained this already, but what is the reasoning for wanting to go with 16" rims and mounting snow tires in the middle of summer? Do you just want to be REALLY prepared incase of a freak snowstorm?!
Good questions. I noticed that things didn't line up with the old marks when I did the install. I was able to shift everything rearward to their original location. I haven't driven the car since I did that, so I don't know if things are different/ better.

The front wheel/tire combination will be fine. I wouldn't mind another few millimetres of clearance. Thin spacers would address that. The reason I went with these wheels, is the fact that I already have them. They are extras from my 944 S2. The fronts are 17x7 Cup IIs. The rears are 16x8 D90s. If you're with me, so far, good. It's going to get weird from here on.

We have a 1/2 mile dirt track in our backyard. I plan to use Speedy in RallyCross events once the engine is broken-in. We hold as many as three at our track each year. The next one is scheduled for August. My ideal wheel size for this - and for winter use - is 7" in front and 8" in rear. Finding 17x8 wheels for this car has proven difficult. I thought I'd cheat the system with the 16x8 wheels. We know now how that worked out.

At the same time as going narrower and higher in aspect ratio, I wanted to gain tire diameter to increase ride height slightly. After lots of calculating and tire shopping, I thought I had it figured out. Now I need to hunt down a pair of 17x8 or even 17x8.5 wheels and the right size tires. I can anticipate more questions - but I'm done for this round.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Put the summer wheels back on yesterday. I get to go for a drive today. Messed around with ideas on mounting one of my Element fire extinguishers. Decided on this. Easy access from either seat.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:57 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Have you seen the Blazecut system?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Have you seen the Blazecut system?
Had not heard of that. Very interesting. Looks like a good idea if you are expecting a fire.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

That's definitely it. Pretty much exactly what I envisioned. It would be the first thing to get taken out at a RallyCross.
If you haven't already ordered a replacement, I have used one in decent shape you can have for free. I had completely forgotten I replaced mine when I first bought the car. It has some scuffing on the bottom edge but nothing serious.

Last edited by SoCal911t; 07-10-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Had a chance to go for a drive. Getting closer to 134k.

Found some good roads. The best one was one of my favorite rally roads. It happens to be unpaved. It was good fun inducing a little power-on oversteer.
Looks like some of the road stayed with me.

Might need to visit the car wash soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
kwright997 (07-11-2020), Porschetech3 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

One step forward and one step back. The beer bottle whistle has not been cured with the installation of the new vent valve. There's probably a slight obstruction in the vent tube causing the sound. I'll take that tube out next time I get in there. Low priority.

The good news - shifting the engine and trans rearward has returned the handling to what I recall before the engine build.

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread