Sponsored by:

The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

The "tool" finally showed up. It's useless. The hole is too small. The screws are going to get neutered.

It's not all lost - I spent about two hours on the tractor (that handles like a Porsche) mowing the track and most of the infield areas that we use for a RallyCross. I saw two bucks while out there. This is the bigger of the two. Looks as though he is guarding his mate.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Put the summer wheels back on yesterday. I get to go for a drive today. Messed around with ideas on mounting one of my Element fire extinguishers. Decided on this. Easy access from either seat.

My Element Fire extinguisher is mounted on my rollbar.
A 2.5# Halon Fire extinguisher is mounted in front of the passenger seat.

I have Elements in our minivan and 2006 Mustang.
Those are both in the glove boxes.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 710 Posts

The "tool" finally showed up. It's useless. The hole is too small. The screws are going to get neutered.
Why not try drilling the hole out larger before going medieval on the screws?

Old 07-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Why not try drilling the hole out larger before going medieval on the screws?
I did try that. It's made of harder stuff.

Look for a PM, one day soon, regarding the anti-Gurney flap.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:28 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
My Element Fire extinguisher is mounted on my rollbar.
A 2.5# Halon Fire extinguisher is mounted in front of the passenger seat.

I have Elements in our minivan and 2006 Mustang.
Those are both in the glove boxes.
Right. No roll bar to mount to in this car. No glove box either. I looked at the idea of the oddments bin in the door or the little storage bin on the passenger side. Neither seemed as good as where I ended up mounting it. It's so small, it doesn't get in the way of anything. Near instant access if ever needed (hopefully, never).
Old 07-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you snap the pin in the screw with a small screwdriver ? I have done this on some other applications....not porsche maf screw though.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:20 PM
519 Motors
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: Looking through your thread. I'm impressed. I have also many questions. I've sent you PM with no response. I'm starting a rebuild;d thread of my own and would love comments.

Best,
Old 07-12-2020, 09:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mpfaff
Can you snap the pin in the screw with a small screwdriver ? I have done this on some other applications....not porsche maf screw though.
I don't think that's feasible. It's pretty stout. Ended up grinding it down so I could get the torx bit in there. It would work, but I decided to dig through my collection of screws. Found one that was an almost identical match - with a phillips head. But only one. Found two others that were close enough to go with. The two shown to the left were too long and not needed. The one near the 5/16 mark on the gauge is one of the two I ended up using. All is good.

Originally Posted by 519 Motors
OP: Looking through your thread. I'm impressed. I have also many questions. I've sent you PM with no response. I'm starting a rebuild;d thread of my own and would love comments.
No PM received. I've seen your thread. Looks as though you've got some work ahead. What's the significance of 519? That number is somehow familiar to me...

... oh yeah...

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 07-12-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:48 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwright997
Sounds like that's the culprit! When you go to replace the valve, blow out the vent line with some air as dirt and spiders can sometimes build up in that line.
I forgot to follow this recommendation. Will definitely do so next time I'm in there...

Old 07-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Got to go for another drive today. Not too far, but more than zero. Less than 200 miles to go before the target oil change.
Visited a mail box to drop off my IMSS registration card. Went to the car wash too. It looked good for about two miles - then I hit the dirt roads again on my way to my back-cracker.

It must have been Monday when I ordered two wheels off eBay for the rear. They're 17x8.5 Boxster wheels. I have confidence these will actually fit. Need to decide between two tire sizes. Either 235/45R17 or 245/45R17. I'm leaning toward the 245. It will provide a little bit more ground clearance.

Also received two Wix oil filters a few days ago. Need to order the oil and an LN low temp thermostat. I figure I'll swap that out when I do the oil change and drop the sump plate.

Went for a quick lap of the track when I got home today. Just about hit two deer that jumped out right in front of me. Good thing I wasn't on a hot lap! I decided to park it after that.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:22 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

I decided to dig through my collection of screws. Found one that was an almost identical match - with a phillips head. But only one. Found two others that were close enough to go with. The two shown to the left were too long and not needed. The one near the 5/16 mark on the gauge is one of the two I ended up using. All is good.

I found a close BMW equivalent. (BMW part # 51 11 8 235 606 ) and bought a dozen of the generic version here. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it was a dumb move by Porsche to use the silly anti-tamper Torx screws. One more of my 'list' items taken care of.

On the left, Porsche tamper resistant Torx screw. Middle, BMW screw. Right, BMW screw with tip nipped off.

Last edited by SoCal911t; 07-15-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 2,089 Posts

The "tamper-proof" screws are an emission thing, the first I seen of them was in late 70's on carburated choke systems to keep laymen from "adjusting" the choke. They were designed for the heads to actually break-off and leave a round headed button that couldn't be removed, the official removal procedure was to use a hack saw blade to cut a slot in the rounded head to fit a screw driver in to remove. A few of us "innovative" techs at Ford created a tool kinda like a inverted ease-out to use in an butterfly impact to whip them out quickly..

I have never had a problem removing the "torx tamperproof" screws. Used mainly a Matco torx set, or some from an auto-parts store, but I'm sure some are out-of-spec and don't fit correctly..

break-away screws, designed that when the desired torque is reached, the head breaks off
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Those bolts with the break-off heads are frequently used for ignition lock cylinders. The reasoning should be obvious.

Good find on the BMW screws, SoCal. BelMetric is a great place for all sorts of things - unless you order a meter of M5 left-handed threaded rod in the middle of a pandemic.
The following users liked this post:
James_03C4S (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Those bolts with the break-off heads are frequently used for ignition lock cylinders. The reasoning should be obvious.

Good find on the BMW screws, SoCal. BelMetric is a great place for all sorts of things - unless you order a meter of M5 left-handed threaded rod in the middle of a pandemic.
Yep, I had forgot about them being used there also, I haven't done one of those in decades either..
Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

I haven't used BelMetric that much because we have McMaster-Carr out here on the west coast. I'm using BelMetric more now because I think since weed was legalized in California, the entire shipping department at McMaster is stoned all day. I was replacing some BMW vacuum lines and since the OEM ones were plastic and expensive, I decided to use copper. I ordered two 1 meter pieces of 5mm tubing and they sent each piece in separate gynormous cardboard tubes. It doubled the shipping (but at least the pipes weren't scratched on arrival).

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread