The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Looking good Scott. Just remember; slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Hey Gary, did you get a package from FedEx somewhere around Tuesday? I forgot to check the tracking and probably threw the receipt away.

Originally Posted by billh1963
Haven't heard that one in years

when i was 15 my dad taught me how to dock our 55' shrimp boat. In South Carolina you are always fighting wind and strong tides. He admonished me to slow down. When you take it slow, bad things happen slowly. When you take it fast, bad things happen quickly.

later on when I taught my own kids how to dock (although only on a 28' boat) I taught them the same thing. It's funny hearing them using the same expression now that they are older.
"Smooth is fast" is one of the great go-to lines when instructing drivers. That, and apex late, maximize the radius and brake late.

Originally Posted by JTT
Scott, by the look of that picture, you would have to remove the AOS to get at the cam position sensor. Is that correct?
You would definitely have a problem getting that cam sensor out with the AOS hose in place. There is significant length to the sensor end that require a good bit of space to fully exit the hole.

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Scott, just wanted to say how much I appreciate your quality photography and narrative. As someone who has only recently done a deep dive into the flat six world, this is highly educational for me. Fingers crossed you get 100k+ miles (and smiles) out of this bad boy when done!
Thank you.
I'm doing everything I can to assure a long and happy life with this engine. I bought the car fairly cheap. I knew it would need serious work at some point. To get a full year and 10,000 miles out of it, initially, was nice. Now I should be able to drive it without worrying about when it will blow up. I also like to do things for myself. I've been that way since I bought my first motorcycle in the mid-70s. I don't trust others to do something I can either do myself, or learn to do. By gathering the instructional materials (the Raby DVD, RL threads, etc.) I have attempted to stack everything in my favor for success. It's the way I have operated ever since I played sports and later began racing and rallying. I don't take losing well and won't quit. This will be another victory!

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 04-26-2020 at 08:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
Battery Guy (04-26-2020), dporto (04-28-2020), latonnelier (04-26-2020), Porschetech3 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 02:06 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Gary, did you get a package from FedEx somewhere around Tuesday? I forgot to check the tracking and probably threw the receipt away.
Sorry for not reaching out. I've had a busy week and luckily, it was over almost as fast as it started. But yeah, the tools made it back and I was able to get some burgers for me and the dogs to top it off Glad to be of help.

I feel almost the same way about fixing my stuff. I have found some people out there that I trust, just can't always afford 'em. What was the bike you bought? I bought a '7
4 Kawasaki F7 (enduo-2 stoke) from a girlfriend's dad. It would idle but wouldn't run with the throttle open. I got it home and took apart the carb--the circlip on the jet-needle had not been installed correctly--popped it in and kept that bike for another five years. Ever since, I've been working on things myself (and loving it). Perhaps that's why I enjoy your posts so much--kindred spirits
The following 2 users liked this post by latonnelier:
jobyt (04-26-2020), Scott at Team Harco (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 02:12 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry for not reaching out. I've had a busy week and luckily, it was over almost as fast as it started. But yeah, the tools made it back and I was able to get some burgers for me and the dogs to top it off Glad to be of help.

I feel almost the same way about fixing my stuff. I have found some people out there that I trust, just can't always afford 'em. What was the bike you bought? I bought a '7
4 Kawasaki F7 (enduo-2 stoke) from a girlfriend's dad. It would idle but wouldn't run with the throttle open. I got it home and took apart the carb--the circlip on the jet-needle had not been installed correctly--popped it in and kept that bike for another five years. Ever since, I've been working on things myself (and loving it). Perhaps that's why I enjoy your posts so much--kindred spirits
I replaced the Idle Air Control valve on my nephew's Ram truck yesterday...made me appreciate working on the P-car all that much more.
The following 2 users liked this post by jobyt:
latonnelier (04-26-2020), Porschetech3 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

No worries. Glad things are going alright. There are probably things we could never image, until that light goes on.

It was a 73 Honda SL 100. Bought it so I could deliver papers with it. I went through a bunch of pedal bikes on my 5+ mile rural route. Almost all dirt roads. I must have been 13 or 14. I rode that bike to driver's training a few years later. I ditched it at the back of the campus and walked a distance to the classroom. I took advantage of the handy helmet lock Honda had (just for that purpose) so as not to be seen with that. It was about three miles by trails and public roads to get to the high school. Good times.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

It was really windy today, so my gardening plans kind of blew away. It was reasonably warm, but it was just crazy how windy it was.

Good time to stay indoors. This is also a good time to mention how nice the engine stand fixture has been. This one is from VW Alley, I'll have to refresh my memory on his name. He's in Oregon, and from what I can gather, welds these up and sells them through a couple of outlets. It is now very obvious what makes it special. The space to access the rear of the engine. The IMS bearing and flange are easily installed. The RMS, and now the flywheel and clutch/ pressure plate assembly can be fitted, without separating the engine from the stand. This is almost never possible without an application specific unit.

Pressure plate in and you can also see how close everything is at the AOS.

Need more evidence? This doesn't include the AOS cross-over pipe and the electrical connectors...

.. nor the intake manifold.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:14 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Time for some clean up of the electrical stuff (and the snorkel).

A messy bath in mineral spirits and then a good air blast.

Followed up with contact cleaner, more air and then WD-40. Then more air. It was actually fortunate to have the wind to blow much of the misty stuff away...

I discovered a "fix" in the #6 coil wiring. It will need to be correctly fixed.
Left out to dry/ drain in the sun for a while...

... then to hang on the line for a while. I'll clean each connector again and apply a little dielectric grease, to each, at installation.

yaz996 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:59 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 251 Posts

Thanks Scott! Not the answer I was hoping for, but it’s great to see the pics.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
Thanks Scott! Not the answer I was hoping for, but it’s great to see the pics.
It only gets worse. I just did a trial fitting of a few things. The intake manifolds and the intake runners. Notice how tight the 3/8" drive ratchet and socket are between the AOS and the intake - it is actually wedged in there. This is why 1/4" drive tools are usually preferred. The cross-over pipe is still not there (expected on Wednesday), and none of the harness and connectors are in place.

I did install the coolant plate and the lower hose for the AOS circuit. Also completed what should be the final tightening of the hose clamps for the intake plenum. Should be able to take the whole assembly and re-set it in place once everything that goes under it gets installed.

Played around with the UAOS to get a feel for how things will fit. The connection at the plenum was a bugger. It should remain attached where it is. I'll take other ends apart to keep this end in place.

Still needs a little more tweaking and aligning, but it looks good. Once everything is in around it, it should blend in nicely.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, look. Good thing it was sent Priority. It arrived three weeks to the day...
One meter of M5 lefthand threaded rod and left handed nuts. If anyone needs a homemade cam chain tension relief tool, let me know. I can cut a few segments and send them out in more practical packaging.

As a reminder, this is what it looks like and where it's used.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:51 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Or if someone had a shop they could set the whole rod up to do 6-9 tensioners at a time
Scott at Team Harco (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:15 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Oh, look. Good thing it was sent Priority. It arrived three weeks to the day...
One meter of M5 lefthand threaded rod and left handed nuts. If anyone needs a homemade cam chain tension relief tool, let me know. I can cut a few segments and send them out in more practical packaging.
I've been avoiding asking a question that has been bugging me because I suspect there's a painfully obvious explanation that I'm missing. Why is it crucial that the rod has left hand threads?

Old 04-27-2020, 10:46 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 841 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I've been avoiding asking a question that has been bugging me because I suspect there's a painfully obvious explanation that I'm missing. Why is it crucial that the rod has left hand threads?
Some vario cam tensioners are left hand threaded, others right (where the special relief tool goes).
Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Why they used lefthanded threads is a mystery. There is no logical reason for this. The very fact that they also made these with righthanded threads bears this out.

Originally Posted by yaz996
Some vario cam tensioners are left hand threaded, others right (where the special relief tool goes).
Exactly. So it's a crap-shoot as to what one can expect/ find in their engine. Maybe there's a decoder ring to tell which style came in which engine. Maybe Doc knows?

Regardless, I'll probably send the container back to BelMetric (unopened) if I don't see interest in at least one "kit".
Porschetech3 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 793 Posts

"I also like to do things for myself. I've been that way since I bought my first motorcycle in the mid-70s. I don't trust others to do something I can either do myself, or learn to do."

808Bill (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:43 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Your doing a great job Scott, thanks again for the detailed documentation!

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread