996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Are there any holes in the tube of the mounting fixture that line up with the anti-rotation hole in your stand?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:25 PM
5150Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Only one i could find was a Wahler. No borge-warner?

https://www.5150motorsport.com/low-t...06-013-59.html

FYI just for your clarification Borg-Wagner acquired Wahler back in 2013:

https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom/...cquires-wahler

It is sold from the suppliers as Wahler.

Thank you for your website order!

Old 03-29-2020, 10:13 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Got a link for the engine stand "fixture"?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:27 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Are there any holes in the tube of the mounting fixture that line up with the anti-rotation hole in your stand?
Charlie - I have two options. I'll be exploring them soon. Plan A, is to take the 944 S2 engine off my old stand and hang it on the new, cheap Harbor Freight unit I bought when I built my A4 engine. The nice thing about the old stand is that is uses a clamp to lock rotation of the sleeve rather than relying on a pin. Allows for very fine adjustment. Plan B, would only come into play if the sleeve sizing is a mismatch. At which point I will drill holes in the new fixture to allow for pinning in a few spots so the engine will sit either horizontally or vertically. Should have updates on that later today.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Got a link for the engine stand "fixture"?
Bill - Actually I do not. There was a thread in this section where someone was looking for a used fixture. I followed the trail and it led me down VW Alley. I sent the guy an email asking a few questions and after I was convinced he was legit, I sent him some money via PayPal. He's located in Oregon. So far, I am happy with the piece, but time will tell, how happy. It should play prominently in the engine build and I will definitely offer my opinion of it going forward.

Off to the garage, I've got a bunch of pushing, lifting and swapping to do...
Old 03-29-2020, 10:31 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,432 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Get to it. Your engine **** is helping me through my boredom.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 5150Motorsport
FYI just for your clarification Borg-Wagner acquired Wahler back in 2013:

https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom/...cquires-wahler

It is sold from the suppliers as Wahler.

Thank you for your website order!

Rats - I think I forgot to use the discount code on that last order. It was a big saver on the "Solution" though.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:17 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Charlie - I have two options. I'll be exploring them soon. Plan A, is to take the 944 S2 engine off my old stand and hang it on the new, cheap Harbor Freight unit I bought when I built my A4 engine. The nice thing about the old stand is that is uses a clamp to lock rotation of the sleeve rather than relying on a pin. Allows for very fine adjustment. Plan B, would only come into play if the sleeve sizing is a mismatch. At which point I will drill holes in the new fixture to allow for pinning in a few spots so the engine will sit either horizontally or vertically. Should have updates on that later today.

Bill - Actually I do not. There was a thread in this section where someone was looking for a used fixture. I followed the trail and it led me down VW Alley. I sent the guy an email asking a few questions and after I was convinced he was legit, I sent him some money via PayPal. He's located in Oregon. So far, I am happy with the piece, but time will tell, how happy. It should play prominently in the engine build and I will definitely offer my opinion of it going forward.

Off to the garage, I've got a bunch of pushing, lifting and swapping to do...
Hey Scott, things are looking great.

I thought I'd chime in on this one. I have the same stand arm from VA alley. Here's the guys site http://manyringding.tripod.com/vwally/index2.html
He mostly does VW tools, but you can find hiim on TheSamba.com. You wont see his porsche stand on his site but just email him and he'll build you one.

I haven't drilled a hole in the tube to act as a stop and I haven't found that I need too either. I've torn down and reassembled my 996 motor five times now (as practice and to fill the time until I can afford the Nickies)and the friction of the tube in the stand has been good enough to get through the various stages without needing a stop. But, they do say to drill the hole to match your base if you need.

The price for the stand was right and the guy makes them as they are ordered, I couldn't recommend high enough.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by latonnelier
The price for the stand was right and the guy makes them as they are ordered.
How much?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I got it for around 250 delivered. But I have a few uses for it, seems like you could sell it on down the line since Jake has been cursing everyone's engine with bore scoring

Old 03-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Hey Scott, things are looking great.

I thought I'd chime in on this one. I have the same stand arm from VA alley. Here's the guys site http://manyringding.tripod.com/vwally/index2.html
He mostly does VW tools, but you can find hiim on TheSamba.com. You wont see his porsche stand on his site but just email him and he'll build you one.

I haven't drilled a hole in the tube to act as a stop and I haven't found that I need too either. I've torn down and reassembled my 996 motor five times now (as practice and to fill the time until I can afford the Nickies)and the friction of the tube in the stand has been good enough to get through the various stages without needing a stop. But, they do say to drill the hole to match your base if you need.

The price for the stand was right and the guy makes them as they are ordered, I couldn't recommend high enough.
Right you are, Gary. The fixture seems to be good. I will know more soon. I'm taking a break right now. Most of the day was spent blasting 6 months worth of dust and dirt out of the garage. I probably only got about 5 months worth of it.

Then I wheeled out my S2 engine and an engine hoist to transfer that engine to the Harbor Freight stand. Life has gotten in the way of completing that project. I pulled that engine close to three years ago and had planned to rebuild it during that winter. Then I had my garage/workshop built. Then I outfitted my shop and bought Speedy. Then my (first) A4 was totaled a year ago and I had to build an engine for its replacement. Things just keep piling up. I plan to see this build through and then will have at that project next (assuming something else doesn't come along).

So then it turned out the tube was too big to fit in my old engine stand. I chose to grind it to fit, rather than drill to make it work in the HF stand.

Not pretty, but it should work.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 04-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Checked it on bank #1. It fits fine. That's what it is intended for. I wanted to use shorter bolts. They're M12-1.5. I have dozens of M12 bolts but they're either too fine or too coarse. I'll order a few so I won't mess up the transmission bolts and tidy things up a bit.

Only two bolt holes line up on bank #2. I just want this so I can clean this half thoroughly. Once cleaned, it will get set aside and bank #1 will take its proper place on the stand for the rest of the assembly procedure.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 710 Posts

Scott, this thread has inspired me to start my own engine build. My tolerances won't be as tight as what you're dealing with though.

The following users liked this post:
jobyt (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Scott, this thread has inspired me to start my own engine build. My tolerances won't be as tight as what you're dealing with though.

Sweet. Be sure to start a thread so others will learn from your work.

Did you get a free bowl of soup with that hat? It looks good on you, though.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-30-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t

You need a red stapler to go with that coffee cup...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jobyt
You need a red stapler to go with that coffee cup...
Ha! I missed that.

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread