Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020 | 10:44 AM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

OK, that confirms it, I am in the correct historic demographic. And I still have enough memory that I instantly recognized and was familiar with both of those tools.
The following 2 users liked this post by pauldvazquez:
flual80 (02-15-2020), Scott at Team Harco (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020 | 10:54 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Porsche only sells those rods in sets of 6 (for $2k) weight matched to 3 grams. I have weighed the rods from different 3.4 engines to find as much as 15 grams difference between engines, and not enough material to remove to match the other engine. That's when it makes since to go H-beam.
The following users liked this post:
flual80 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020 | 12:33 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Porsche only sells those rods in sets of 6 (for $2k) weight matched to 3 grams. I have weighed the rods from different 3.4 engines to find as much as 15 grams difference between engines, and not enough material to remove to match the other engine. That's when it makes since to go H-beam.
I bought a set of the K1s from LN and they were ~1.9g difference between the heaviest and lightest rods on the big ends...though, I've set these aside until I have everything ready to go. I'd really hate to be 15g out

Last edited by latonnelier; 02-15-2020 at 02:12 PM.
flual80 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020 | 04:19 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Now if you can find the "Seal-A-Meal" you're ready to get back in business!
Holy cow, saw this yesterday--must've been a way-homer 'cause I just got it today.
Touche'
Old 02-15-2020 | 05:26 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by latonnelier
I love those Ohaus triple beams. Balances are way (weigh) better than scales if used correctly. You have to be a bit more careful with center of mass on the pan, but they will give you a true mass reading over weight. I much prefer my students understand this difference. I have a triple beam that I have drawn a grid so I can locate the center of mass of the object in the center of the pan as I determine the mass of the object. Uggghh...don't you hate scientists.

Looks like Scott appropriated that one from high school while he was making some extra money as a youth But I won't rat you out to the Man.
No - I love scientists. I married one. Wonderful woman.

I also love science. Took quite a bit of it to get through school. Enjoyed those classes more than the other 'rubbish'.
That triple beam was actually purchased with my own hard-earned cash. There were times when I needed it for my personal science projects.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Now if you can find the "Seal-A-Meal" you're ready to get back in business!
What's wrong with baggies?

So I checked the mass of the new ARP rod bolts to see how good they were. All were excellent. They came in at about 27.84 grams. Each stock bolt was about 2.5 grams heavier. Just like that, I'm taking 30 grams out!

Got dealt a little setback today. The right rear wheel bearing I wanted to replace on Sparky, is smaller than the parts I have (which are supposed to fit the car). Also, the bearing removal/installation kit I have does not have a mandrel small enough to press it out. I went down this road five times on Walter (bearing replacement). Haven't encountered this issue before. Makes me wonder why this condition exists.

While contemplating this matter, I watched all of disc 2 of the M9X engine assembly DVD. I'm telling you, I can see a lot of places I wouldn't know what to do, or would screw it up. The sequencing of assembly is so critical on this engine.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-20-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2020 | 09:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
No - I love scientists. I married one. Wonderful woman.

I also love science. Took quite a bit of it to get through school. Enjoyed those classes more than the other 'rubbish'.
That triple beam was actually purchased with my own hard-earned cash. There were times when I needed it for my personal science projects.

What's wrong with baggies?

So I checked the mass of the new ARP rod bolts to see how good they were. All were excellent. They came in at about 27.84 grams. Each stock bolt was about 2.5 grams heavier. Just like that, I'm taking 36 grams out!

Got dealt a little setback today. The right rear wheel bearing I wanted to replace on Sparky, is smaller than the parts I have (which are supposed to fit the car). Also, the bearing removal/installation kit I have does not have a mandrel small enough to press it out. I went down this road five times on Walter (bearing replacement). Haven't encountered this issue before. Makes me wonder why this condition exists.

While contemplating this matter, I watch all of disc 2 of the M9X engine assembly DVD. I'm telling you, I can see a lot of places I wouldn't know what to do, or would screw it up. The sequencing of assembly is so critical on this engine.
Just got my CD set and can't wait to marathon watch them.
Old 02-16-2020 | 12:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I made an elementary school math mistake when calculating the mass savings with the ARP rod bolts. Then I saw Bill posted to this thread. I was thinking - oh no, even he saw the error.

He has quoted it for posterity though, so I've got that going for me...

I remember where I was, and what I was doing, when I came up with that original number. Let's just say, my mind was not on math.

You are right about the DVDs. You will want to watch several times. I'll be going through each chapter, in detail (again), as I move forward.
808Bill (02-17-2020)
Old 02-19-2020 | 12:37 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Got an update on the heads, today. No issues found in pressure testing. Will be moving forward with the plan of the mid-level service.

Got a box of parts from Sunset last night. Our silly dog wanted to rip the bumper off the mail-lady's truck. She really needs to behave better when we have visitors delivering things we've ordered. Looks as though my parts from Pelican will be delivered today. Should have photos to share soon. I know most of you have no idea what parts look like...

Oh, and I packaged up a box of tools to send back to "Gary".
808Bill (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020 | 01:59 PM
latonnelier
Racer

I'm ready to see a whole bunch of pics. Glad the tools were of use to you.
On another note, we tried to get some film of Pippi going after the drone, but my wife was laughing way too much, as was I, when the dog decided to run up the back of my VW to a little extra height. She (wife) didn't realize she hadn't started the phone camera. Luckily the drone survived, or as my wife calls it -- the hovercraft

Old 02-19-2020 | 02:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I'm ready to see a whole bunch of pics. Glad the tools were of use to you.
On another note, we tried to get some film of Pippi going after the drone, but my wife was laughing way too much, as was I, when the dog decided to run up the back of my VW to a little extra height. She (wife) didn't realize she hadn't started the phone camera. Luckily the drone survived, or as my wife calls it -- the hovercraft
My wife used her phone to take a video of Sundae when she tried on her winter slippers. When she wasn't laughing too hard, the video was certainly laugh-worthy. Sundae kind of goose-stepped around. It was funny.

Just got an update on the block. It's fully machined, sleeved and at the plater. About 2-3 weeks out. Should be able to find a few things to tend to in the meantime...
yaz996 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020 | 06:12 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

As promised, photos of parts. Got the chain guides, circlip, intake manifold gaskets (didn't come in the gasket kit) and a rear main seal. The RMS that came in the gasket kit can serve as a spare. Figured I might as well go with the latest version from Porsche. Need to go through piece by piece and make sure I have all of the o-rings I will need. Maybe there's a little free time in that 2-3 week period before the block shows up.

So in those 2-3 weeks, I'll be practicing by piston-pin retaining clip installation. Guess which of the following I'll practice on?

If you guessed the clean ones, you'd be right. Ultrasonic cleaner did a nice job, eh?
The following 3 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
808Bill (02-19-2020), cds72911 (02-19-2020), latonnelier (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020 | 07:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Photo of the parts from Pelican. A couple of seals for the windage tray, the cam chain guides and the wrong IMS chain. I'll need to get back to Pelican with the right part number. Better to make this mistake now and have time to react.

Old 02-20-2020 | 11:24 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

That ultrasonic cleaner sure does an excellent job!
Old 02-21-2020 | 01:14 AM
latonnelier
Racer

Scott, you always stage such cool pics of parts, just like I'd expect to see in a magazine. Now you are in for big bucks on that internal tooth chain.
And...
For your viewing pleasure. I know its only a picture but I don't want to create a youtube channel to show the video. Even when the drone is 15 feet off the ground she can't stand it.

Its the Chupacabra!
The following 2 users liked this post by latonnelier:
dporto (02-21-2020), Scott at Team Harco (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020 | 10:17 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Scott, you always stage such cool pics of parts, just like I'd expect to see in a magazine. Now you are in for big bucks on that internal tooth chain.
And...
For your viewing pleasure. I know its only a picture but I don't want to create a youtube channel to show the video. Even when the drone is 15 feet off the ground she can't stand it.

Its the Chupacabra!
Hey Gary - interesting you should say that. I have written a number of articles that get published in magazines. Typically a lot of photos are included. I believe they help tell a good bit of the story. I approach many of my projects with the mindset of it becoming an article. Getting the photos right is as important as choosing the right words.

Great shot of Pippi. Sometimes dogs are so silly.

Just checked pricing on the correct chain. $130 - $160. That's a bit more than the $28 one I ordered. Good thing I don't need those gold-plated main bearings...

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-21-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread