Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:23 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Slowly installing the UAOS in my spare time.

So far I got 1 bolt off the AOS and have removed the intake, throttle body and both the plenum and resonance tube.
I decided to stop there tonight.
Then I decided I’d do a quick replacement of the plastic joining socket/coolant hose connector/flange with the metal one from Üro.
The old plastic one broke off in both hoses, so I’m glad I replaced it now.
It took a while to retrieval the pieces of plastic and to flush out all the tiny plastic bits.
When it looked like I’d gotten all the plastic pieces, I started installing the durable metal one from Üro...then I did this.

I was holding it by hand while tightening the bolt.
It wasn’t even snug yet.

Anyone remember who sells the stainless steel one?
Nevermind, I found it (Rauch & Spiegel) but it’s not stainless steel, it’s aluminum.

After looking closer at how it mounts, I think this was self inflicted.
I don’t think I had it mounted correctly.
I‘ll try another Üro.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 04-15-2020 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (04-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

So far I got 1 bolt off the AOS and have removed the intake, throttle body and both the plenum and resonance tube.
Then I decided I’d do a quick replacement of the plastic joining socket/coolant hose connector/flange with the metal one from Üro.
It took a while to retrieval the pieces of plastic and to flush out all the tiny plastic bits.
When it looked like I’d gotten all the plastic pieces, I started installing the durable metal one from Üro...then I did this.

It wasn’t even snug yet.

Nevermind, I found it (Rauch & Spiegel) but it’s not stainless steel, it’s aluminum.

I‘ll try another Üro.
That's a real bummer. Nothing worse than doing a preventative step and having it go south. I replaced mine while doing the UAOS without a problem.

How many hours do you think it will take you to do this job? I'm at the "remove the AOS" so I can get at the back manifold bolt. But, spring yard work may now interfere with my car working time. ​​
Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Took it for a nice drive along the beach to stretch its legs (and mine). The car hadn't been started in over a month but the four year old Bosch AGM battery fired it right up (no tender). It was nice to get out of the house.
Gingerman (04-18-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ssherman68
Haha! Nice. I'm not all that concerned either. I don't think they're pulling anyone over. They seem more concerned with people gathering at parks & beaches.
Yes, I think you're right however there is a U-T story saying SDPD has cited 125 people to date. I've apparently read my one free article for the month so I don't know the details.

I saw this guy about an hour ago on 15 north. I guess essential driving is subjective.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 226 Posts

It wasn’t even snug yet.

I‘ll try another Üro.
Tex, After looking at your URO piece, when you get your piece from R&S, you will notice the R&S part is better design part. I just installed mine yesterday. I feel better now knowing and glad I got the R&S part even though cost more.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Yes, I think you're right however there is a U-T story saying SDPD has cited 125 people to date. I've apparently read my one free article for the month so I don't know the details.

I saw this guy about an hour ago on 15 north. I guess essential driving is subjective.

Hmmm. I'll have to look that up. I was thinking of taking a run to the top of Palomar mountain and back this weekend. I went grocery shopping and to Lowes yesterday to pick up some tools to do my plugs/coils/tubes in a few weeks and didn't see any cops. Didn't see any on my Del Dios drive this weekend either. Oh. I wanted to mention that I had Del Dios all to myself heading west on Saturday which was cool. I didn't do anything crazy. I'm a wimp when it comes to blind curves.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by az968gpw
How many hours do you think it will take you to do this job? I'm at the "remove the AOS" so I can get at the back manifold bolt. But, spring yard work may now interfere with my car working time. ​​
I‘m just working about an hour a day.
Today I got the intake manifold out.
I was surprised how easy it was.
I was expecting it to be a lot harder.
It took me about 45 minutes.
But I couldn’t find the second AOS bolt. I’m guessing I’m going to have to remove a hose to get to it.
I didn’t try very long before I decided to put my tools up and go inside to eat supper.
I also bagged and tagged everything I’ve taken off.

I can see my AOS now.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:32 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Fyi i was able to get both aos bolts out easily from underneath, but its a manual and i have a lift.

if alll i was doing was the aos replacement and the uaos i would figure a full day. Probably half that if i were to do it a second time.

also still waiting on parts from autoatlanta. At least its been cold and wet so i dont really want to drive the car
Old 04-17-2020, 02:56 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Fyi i was able to get both aos bolts out easily from underneath, but its a manual and i have a lift.

if alll i was doing was the aos replacement and the uaos i would figure a full day. Probably half that if i were to do it a second time.

also still waiting on parts from autoatlanta. At least its been cold and wet so i dont really want to drive the car
I have a manual, but just jackstands.
I don’t think I can reach it from underneath, but I‘ll crawl down there and try tomorrow.
I’m just wondering how I’m going to get all the bolts in place when it is time to put the intake back on.
especially bolt #6.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:51 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

I have a manual, but just jackstands.
I don’t think I can reach it from underneath, but I‘ll crawl down there and try tomorrow.
I’m just wondering how I’m going to get all the bolts in place when it is time to put the intake back on.
especially bolt #6.

In addition once its in how to torque. Im pretty sure ill have to lower the engine some.

Put a head lamp on and slide under the car its pretty easy to see the aos and get a 1/4 drive with a deep 10mm. I acually did that first then removed the intake.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:25 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

The bracket is aluminum, and the barb fitting is stainless. It's a very high quality piece. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
The bracket is aluminum, and the barb fitting is stainless. It's a very high quality piece. I highly recommend it.
Absolutely! The plastic piece is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Hector B
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a spoiler switch to the radio surround trim and wired it from the switch down by the fuse panel. Now I can more easily deploy or stow the spoiler at will.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hector B:
Ratchet1025 (04-17-2020), ssherman68 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:33 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

It wasn’t even snug yet.

I‘ll try another Üro.

yea me thinks u didnt have the anti rotate tab on the part inder the rib. Took me a sec to figure mine out so it sat flat on the mount.
TexSquirrel (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 10:18 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I got it out.
It took about 30 minutes to get the second AOS bolt out and the hoses off.
I couldn’t reach the bolt from below.
I had to get to it from above.
I have a 996.2, so that might be why I couldn’t get the last bolt from below.
I decided to quit until tomorrow and rest some.

Old and new AOS.

Unfortunately when I was about to sit and rest, my wife asked me to help my 13 yr old daughter do the yard work.
I must have picked up some bad gas, because I had to take apart and clean the carburetors on my mower and edger.
They wouldn’t start..
The bowl for the edger had small metallic flakes in the bottom and the carb was all gummed up.
My blower has a clogged fuel filter I think.
Ratchet1025 (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?