Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

As option 1, you are offering the guy $11k less.

I had a guy once coming to look at one bike I was selling (K1200rs) and had your same approach and offered me 25% less than my asking. I told him he had 20 seconds while I go to let my Rottweiler loose.

My personal rule of thumb is that IF my offer is more than 15% below the asking price I better let the car sit and let the invisible hand do its job.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Thank you all for the input. Maybe I am from a different school and have a different approach when declining or accepting an offer. There is a difference between asking $100K+ and being offered $89k after PPI than asking $85k and being offered $60k, the latter could be considered insulting.

@Tialoc: Oil Leaks, power steering leak, bad schocks, not minor and not initially disclosed prior to PPI. Accident history is on the CarFax so obviously disclosed but extent of damage is unknown.
@clubrcr: Good take, would not be my approach on doing business but respect the opinion. Only thing disclosed was the accident since shows on Carfax, everything else was not and all showed up on the PPI I had done. I mean 10 year old tires? C'mon. I don't think very many of us in here would drive a Porsche, or any car for that matter, with 10 year old tires knowing what we know now, a la "Paul Walker incident".
@Italian Pursuit: I probably should have let the invisible hand do its job, car has been for sale for a couple of months now. My thought process is if as a buyer after discovering all of these undisclosed items on the car I did not let the dogs loose on you, as a seller claiming to be an agent broker, dealer, you should not shoot yourself in the foot. I passed on the car but can provide the lead to anyone else in this forum or outside this forum. I am not doing that as would not want anyone to be treated like I was. There is something called a counteroffer. Eventually someone will end up with a good car with potential to be made perfect if you are willing to absorb the cost on top of the asking price. For me it all has to blend in from the get go, offer, counter offer(s) and final agreed sale price. If it doesn't, car was not meant for me.

Now let's talk about something else. Thanks guys.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Julio-
At that price point you might want to check this one out:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-s-5/

I believe this was just on RL for $100K. 55Kmiles, but probably in much better shape. However... BaT seems to be getting above average prices lately.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jay. Not too crazy about white though. I was just looking to make a deal not hurt anyone's feelings but apparently I did.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 540 Posts

You don't need to drop the engine to fix those leaks. All Oil cooled 911s leak in one way shape or form .... it just depends on how much they are leaking!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Thank you all for the input. Maybe I am from a different school and have a different approach when declining or accepting an offer. There is a difference between asking $100K+ and being offered $89k after PPI than asking $85k and being offered $60k, the latter could be considered insulting.

@Tialoc: Oil Leaks, power steering leak, bad schocks, not minor and not initially disclosed prior to PPI. Accident history is on the CarFax so obviously disclosed but extent of damage is unknown.
@clubrcr: Good take, would not be my approach on doing business but respect the opinion. Only thing disclosed was the accident since shows on Carfax, everything else was not and all showed up on the PPI I had done. I mean 10 year old tires? C'mon. I don't think very many of us in here would drive a Porsche, or any car for that matter, with 10 year old tires knowing what we know now, a la "Paul Walker incident".
@Italian Pursuit: I probably should have let the invisible hand do its job, car has been for sale for a couple of months now. My thought process is if as a buyer after discovering all of these undisclosed items on the car I did not let the dogs loose on you, as a seller claiming to be an agent broker, dealer, you should not shoot yourself in the foot. I passed on the car but can provide the lead to anyone else in this forum or outside this forum. I am not doing that as would not want anyone to be treated like I was. There is something called a counteroffer. Eventually someone will end up with a good car with potential to be made perfect if you are willing to absorb the cost on top of the asking price. For me it all has to blend in from the get go, offer, counter offer(s) and final agreed sale price. If it doesn't, car was not meant for me.

Now let's talk about something else. Thanks guys.
For 100k I would expect perfection (or close to it). I don't think you were out of line. This one doesn't show the kind of care you would expect for a six figure 993. Keep looking, you'll find a good one!

Are you set on a widebody?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@Tlaloc75: I didn't think I was either but I already passed. I am set on a wide body, preferably arctic or polar silver. Interestingly enough the price has now gone down $4k, I guess the invisible hand is already at work. If anyone figures out which offering it is, you can contact me privately and I will share all the docs I have as well as PPI results. Not here to advertise anyone else's sale post especially when they are outside RL. I'm looking at other options this weekend and when I find the right one I might consider letting go of one of my other air cooled. Not sure which yet, but stable is getting too full and seat time is scarce nowadays with new business and project ventures that will keep me preoccupied for the next 36 months. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2018, 06:12 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
For 100k I would expect perfection (or close to it). I don't think you were out of line. This one doesn't show the kind of care you would expect for a six figure 993. Keep looking, you'll find a good one!
Given the rarity of it I would not let some minor oil leaks, tires and belts torpedo the deal. I would have asked seller what his bottom line was. Maybe he would have coughed up something for repairs if presented properly. Let's face it you may not see another 98C2S with that kinda miles in your color for a long time. When you do they could be even more expensive by then.

I expect to put tires on anything I buy unless seller states otherwise. Same is true with belts, plugs etc. Let's face it more often then not maintenance parts are beyond 50% life. What you're really buying is good bones with various maintenance done or not done. That's just my take anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@MarinS4: In the high school dance and after inching closer to the tune of 3 slow songs you have to go in for the kill (kiss), you either get reciprocated or you get a slap in the face and she walks off..!!
In my case, I went for it after the 10th slow song and still got slapped. So moving on.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

@JAB12: Keep in mind all of the other dudes trying to get in her pants before you. By the time you come along her hackles are already raised. Mostly sellers are ill equipped to deal with that type of onslaught. Knowing that maybe the case it would be best to tread softly. If you can shift the seller out of the defensive posture it will be easier to accomplish your goals. Right now there are plenty of buyers lined up behind you so there is little motivation for him/her to be overly accommodating.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
@JAB12: Keep in mind all of the other dudes trying to get in her pants before you. By the time you come along her hackles are already raised. Mostly sellers are ill equipped to deal with that type of onslaught. Knowing that maybe the case it would be best to tread softly. If you can shift the seller out of the defensive posture it will be easier to accomplish your goals. Right now there are plenty of buyers lined up behind you so there is little motivation for him/her to be overly accommodating.
The 98 C2S in question has been on the market for 140 days and counting. No one is lining up to buy it - quick search online will find you the car. I think JAB12 is smart to move on.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Just popped up on ebay: '98 C2S 25k miles Guards Red/Black. $119K in NY.

1998 Porsche 911 Carrera C2S https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202238220856
Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Just popped up on ebay: '98 C2S 25k miles Guards Red/Black. $119K in NY.

1998 Porsche 911 Carrera C2S https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202238220856

I am going to be near there today and will try to check out the car. I find that all the cars Porsche Roslyn has for sale are offered at at least ten percent higher than I believe market warrants. Happens each time I see an interesting car there.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
The 98 C2S in question has been on the market for 140 days and counting. No one is lining up to buy it - quick search online will find you the car. I think JAB12 is smart to move on.
Thanks Bloose. It looks like a nice car but apparently seller was offended, so moving on..

Quick Reply: Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread