Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car Dealer is screwing me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I still don't understand who is selling this car, a P dealer or a used dealer? Is the used dealer cutting some sort of deal with a P dealer for the other car certified?

Anyway, my impression from all this is that too much emotion is coming into play. We have all been there with our new toy, but take a few deep breaths and don't let this cloud your judgment when $65K is at stake.

If this is THE car you want at a price you think is fair, then keep the car as is. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how this dealer is going to renege when financing was approved and you have the car in hand with a signed contract. What if you just stop returning his calls for the next few weeks and drive the car? Is he really going to come repo it?

This dealer is clearly dishonest. He is using typical pressure tactics and playing your emotions trying to make an extra few bucks on another deal. Seriously, how hard or expensive would it be for a dealer to come up with a decent used set of twists for that other car? Pull them off another car still in inventory or get them from another dealer. The fact he is too lazy to do this and is basically blackmailing you is disgusting. That would be enough either to make me ignore him for a while or just bring the car back and be done with it. If you do the latter however, I'd be VERY VERY CAREFUL that you don't get screwed in some other way. Anyone pulling this crap is not to be trusted. I could easily see a scenario where you bring the car back, and then once he has it he refuses to refund your taxes or whatever.

If it was me, I would not do the wheel swap out of a matter of principle. You paid top dollar for the car with THOSE wheels, and he is basically trying to steal/blackmail you out of that deal to line his own pockets. This is totally unethical. If he is really making so much money on the other car, he can at least afford to go buy another set of wheels or give you the chrome ones and compensate you $1500 or so for the exchange.

I had a dealer pull something a bit similar with me once (a bait and switch), but I had yet to sign the contract. After I had spent two days and my money on PPI inspections, the verbal price we had agreed to suddenly increased. It was the usual story of "well my manager looked at the deal and we just can't do it." The reality was that he knew I was now emotionally invested in the car, not to mention $500+ on the PPI. He figured he could take me for a few extra grand. So, I took the car back, tossed him the keys and called a taxi for the ride home. It took him all of 10 minutes to change his story from "that's the only deal we can do, I promise" to practically begging me to not get in the taxi. An hour later I drove off in the car for $1000 less than even the original deal we had cut.

Funny how these guys can change their story once you call their bluff.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

Ray Joseph in Houston might be the place to start in finding the right color, options and condition. Quite an inventory of premo 993's at prices comparable to what you just paid.

"Sell" the car back to your sleazy dealer for a G or two more than you paid and give Ray a call. Any one here have his website?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For example, here is a $65k Porsche---ball park at least. I wouldn't discredit any C4 or C4S but bang for the buck for roughly the same price, its tough to go wrong. Not saying this 96 Turbo is the one but for comparission purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fanta...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

who is the dealer???....like someone else said its attorney general time and also a letter to consumer affairs...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by palladio
Funny how these guys can change their story once you call their bluff.
In business, this would come down to the principal of BATNA - Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement. Quite literally, if this deal was to fall through, what's the next best deal each party could make?

Your BATNA is incredibly strong: not only could you easily find another C4S, probably in the color of your choice, with the right options in better condition for LESS money, you don't have to go through the heartburn of working this out with a douchenozzle.

His, on the other hand, is far worse: to whom else is he going to unload a C4S for even the ballpark of $65K?! Even if he was able to shark someone on a $100,000 996TT, the margin isn't going to make up for the titanic profit he'll make off your sale.

Regardless of what the law is, you'll clearly got this guy over a barrel.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 1
In business, this would come down to the principal of BATNA - Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement. Quite literally, if this deal was to fall through, what's the next best deal each party could make?

Your BATNA is incredibly strong: not only could you easily find another C4S, probably in the color of your choice, with the right options in better condition for LESS money, you don't have to go through the heartburn of working this out with a douchenozzle.

His, on the other hand, is far worse: to whom else is he going to unload a C4S for even the ballpark of $65K?! Even if he was able to shark someone on a $100,000 996TT, the margin isn't going to make up for the titanic profit he'll make off your sale.

Regardless of what the law is, you'll clearly got this guy over a barrel.
Exactly! Unless there are other facts to the story we aren't hearing, I have to believe this is just a bluff by the dealer to make a few extra bucks or relieve himself of the pain of having to find another set of wheels on short order. Why would this dealer risk losing a premium sale price already cut with on the 993 over a lousy set of readily available wheels? If that other car needs its exact original set of wheels to get CPO'd, then he can go and find you another similar set or discount your purchase price accordingly.

Either I'm missing something here or this dealer is an asswipe of the highest order.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

tell the dealer to go f**k himself unless he takes money off ur purchase.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think we lost him
Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Guys, I DID NOT PAY $65k for it, quite a bit less.

I got the car from a local high end used car dealer. The Car the Used car dealer is selling is NOW at the Porsche Dealer with a pending Deal if it get certified.

Right now, I have swapped the wheels, back for the stock 993 chrome ones, & will be picking up some used 993/996 hollow spoke wheels for it.

What he is doing is totally illegal, immoral, unethical, & just plain wrong. But he is doing it, & he has the power. We really have no recourse, but to do what he said, or return the car. Swapping the rims is a lot less time & money then having to sue him for the down payment, or anything else that will go wrong.

Since my GF is a lawyer, I can not do anything crappy back, she will not let me, so I have to just take it.

The car is what I want, it was the price I wanted, I will get the proper rims back on it. In the end, I still got a good car for a good price, just a big stumble in the middle.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by palladio

Either I'm missing something here or this dealer is an asswipe of the highest order.

Nope, that is really the case, yes, he is a asswhipe.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Guys like that should be dealt with in a certain way im sure you can understand me its to graphic to detail but he needs his a** kicked to show him he cant just do that to people its not right. someone needs to take that guy from the used car shop for a ride and have a few words with him to put it in nice terms. good luck with the car.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

keep the chrome wheels for snow tires. You will want want winter tires anyway.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uuuummmmmmmm
Seems to me that GF and lawyer don't mix.Unless there is a crucial part of the story that you are not telling,it appears that you had all of the moral,ethics and power on your side.
.I stiil don't understand how you were able to drive off the lot without the completed paperwork,It
doesn't happen in my part of the woods.Good Luck.

Joseph
Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Azul
uuuummmmmmmm
Unless there is a crucial part of the story that you are not telling,it appears that you had all of the moral,ethics and power on your side.
.I stiil don't understand how you were able to drive off the lot without the completed paperwork,It
doesn't happen in my part of the woods.Good Luck.

Joseph
My questions, exactly! ^^^^
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

even if you do return the wheels, bring a small claims actions for the set of wheels you bought and paid for. Minimal time and expense in doing so. Be sure to include the extra tire mounting/dismounting, mileage etc in your claim. And once the paperwork is complete, NAME THAT SCUMBAG

Quick Reply: Car Dealer is screwing me!