993 Forum 1995-1998

Car Dealer is screwing me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I bet it does being as it is a 996TT. How many Boxsters have you seen with the rear side windows or did they add those to while reskining the whole body
We need a Porsche identification class on Rennlist.
LOL -

The doors, front fender and overall front quarter body lines of the 996 look very similar to the 996. Actually, the 996 and Boxster share the same door, as everyone already knows: 996.531.011.05 GRV.

But - the 993 shares the same door as the 911 and 912

So it's a wash I guess...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
That car 'looks' like a Boxster!? Can you repost the photo of your car - for some reason I can't find it in this thread...

mar
Originally Posted by Fred's 964
Stealth, I'm glad you got through this roller coaster of a deal with the car of your dreams. Please post a picture of your new C4S. I'm sure it must be nice and I'd love to see the final product. Look for a set of 996TT wheels to get the look you wanted. They are available.
Just have the old pics of the car with the 996 wheels

Originally Posted by Scooter
Hey Stealth, I am happy it worked out for you. Sorry you had to deal with yet another bad dealer (there are a lot out there). Seems like you are a straight up guy and did not deserve some of the bashing on this thread. You got good marks from a guy at a wheel shop on the eastside who knows you, so you can't be all bad.

Being local, I am familiar with the dealership that sold you the car. Regarding the sign; it is not a temporary dealership, they have moved to that location recently, and I do see the points made in this thread. It is pretty tacky to have a banner for any longer period of time than say a couple of weeks. I have seen some nice looking cars down there though. There are a bunch of dealers like that south of downtown now...high end cars in old wearhouses, fixed up to look upscale (except for the sign).
Thanks, I didn't expect all this drama, oh well. The deal started out solid, ended solid, it was 4days later that **** hit the fan.

Originally Posted by john-'96 993 cab
High price -strike one, makeshift dealership -strike two, craigslist advertising -strike three.

Some people just want to be taken. But hey, at least the dealer got him 100%+ financing.
Well, I searched all over, he also had it up on autotrader, cars.com & some others. When I was looking, there were 4 C4S for sale in 500mi, not a lot to choose from, and this car was exactly what I was looking for. It is not a makeshift dealership, he has a big sign upfront, the inside is all granite & hardwoods, it high end inside. He talked the talk, & I liked him. We all learn for our experiences in life. This one just bit me in the ***.

Now it's got the chrome wheels on it, it actually drives better with them & the new S03's that are one there. I'm looking for a very clean set of hollow spokes to put on, & put this ordeal behind me.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the end of the day after all what has been said and done, you have a great car.

Enjoy!!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Now it's got the chrome wheels on it, it actually drives better with them & the new S03's that are one there. I'm looking for a very clean set of hollow spokes to put on, & put this ordeal behind me.
I got a set that need to be refinished to be perfect if you are interested PM me.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I didn't expect all this drama, oh well. The deal started out solid, ended solid, it was 4days later that **** hit the fan.

Well, I searched all over, he also had it up on autotrader, cars.com & some others. When I was looking, there were 4 C4S for sale in 500mi, not a lot to choose from, and this car was exactly what I was looking for. It is not a makeshift dealership, he has a big sign upfront, the inside is all granite & hardwoods, it high end inside. He talked the talk, & I liked him. We all learn for our experiences in life. This one just bit me in the ***.

Nice! I like that blue on the garage - our last house was Federal blue - kind of the same. I think there's a set of hollow spoke twists for sale on ebay.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end, THAT makes the ordeal worth it. Sweet ride.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Begin

Stealth...Telling RL guys here to go to hell...not really classy. You asked peeps' opinions, they offered up a ton of good advice, and you kept dodging all the core questions. By MOST people's standards, you were overpaying, and the math you were showing made it look like you were REALLY overpaying, AND a dealer was screwing you over. People you don't even know on this board were concerned and hoping to help you. You chose not to respond in most cases, dodge the questions in others, and withhold information (price & dealer). A) That is not in spirit of RL, wherein if a mistake is made somewhere or a bad character found, we share with others, and B) makes you look less than up front and calls your motive, character, and truthfullness into question.

In short (too late) you brought the biting side of RL yourself. I'm not going to comment on the price you paid...everyone has to factor in the options, the "right now" and the PITA factor of waiting and going further. If it works for you, great. I'm happy and I'm thrilled that you at least got the PPI, something you probably learned from posts on RL. Quit with the "go to hell" comments and 'tude and tune into RL for the great resource it is.

End
Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Begin

Stealth...Telling RL guys here to go to hell...not really classy. You asked peeps' opinions, they offered up a ton of good advice, and you kept dodging all the core questions. By MOST people's standards, you were overpaying, and the math you were showing made it look like you were REALLY overpaying, AND a dealer was screwing you over. People you don't even know on this board were concerned and hoping to help you. You chose not to respond in most cases, dodge the questions in others, and withhold information (price & dealer). A) That is not in spirit of RL, wherein if a mistake is made somewhere or a bad character found, we share with others, and B) makes you look less than up front and calls your motive, character, and truthfullness into question.

In short (too late) you brought the biting side of RL yourself. I'm not going to comment on the price you paid...everyone has to factor in the options, the "right now" and the PITA factor of waiting and going further. If it works for you, great. I'm happy and I'm thrilled that you at least got the PPI, something you probably learned from posts on RL. Quit with the "go to hell" comments and 'tude and tune into RL for the great resource it is.

End

Well stated.

Andreas
Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I beg to differ ... I see this kind of thing on here from time to time, usually when it involves a dealership experience.

I got hoodwinked by a high-end German car dealership years ago, when the 911 list was email-based, I was leased a new car which I was told had been driven by a manager and had some gentle demo miles on it (it was the color combo I wanted), only to discover that in fact it had been sold to someone else, driven for 900 miles over several weeks and then returned to the dealership in an ugly dispute over a paint finish issue -- because the original owner had left a leather case with some of his business cards under the seat, which I found and I called him to return them. They just lied to me and sold it as new because the title work had never been completed. It was not about a 911, but I knew most of the people on the list were knowledgable and hoped to get some insight on how to best proceed.

Some people were very supportive and had good suggestions, and other folks jumped all over me, accused me of lying, even to the point where a few a--holes even called dealerships in that area of the country until they figured out which dealer it was. Two actually spoke to the sales manager of the dealership, and posted the name of it -- somethiing I was being careful not to divulge because I was trying to work out an amicable settlement. The whole thing just turned into an incredible s---storm on the forum, including personal attacks on me. All because I was, in fact, wronged -- the dealership settled with me in the end -- but people can be too quick to judge and accuse when the facts are not all in front of them. And sometimes there's a reason why those facts are not available.

Stealth could've been more forthcoming, or at least said why he was not more clearly, and he may have shown a bit of attitude toward the end ... but go back and read how people accused him of lying, being a troll, speculated (wrongly) on how much he overpaid for the car, did tax calculations to try and figure out his purchase price ... I don't understand that attitude, all because he wanted to try and settle it before he divulged who the dealer in question was. Put yourself in his shoes ... a dealer did something that we all agree is pretty unethical, but he didn't want to give up the car over it, he wanted to vent and get a little advice ... and he winds up being put through the wringer.

There are always two sides to everything ... and I am a professional journalist and I am paid to be objective and skeptical as a result ... but rushing to judgment is just as bad as skewing the original facts, in my book.

This is a great forum, but sometimes you see the other side of things, which is kind of a shame, especially since I have been around for about 10 years now, when what eventually became Rennlist was really starting out. We've lost a lot of really good people as a result ... Viken comes to mind, and there are others if you've been around awhile.

Just my two cents ... there's a certain amount of risk when you post to a forum like this ... and I saw it coming and cringed when I read his post, it brought back some bad memories.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
I beg to differ ... I see this kind of thing on here from time to time, usually when it involves a dealership experience.

I got hoodwinked by a high-end German car dealership years ago, when the 911 list was email-based, I was leased a new car which I was told had been driven by a manager and had some gentle demo miles on it (it was the color combo I wanted), only to discover that in fact it had been sold to someone else, driven for 900 miles over several weeks and then returned to the dealership in an ugly dispute over a paint finish issue -- because the original owner had left a leather case with some of his business cards under the seat, which I found and I called him to return them. They just lied to me and sold it as new because the title work had never been completed. It was not about a 911, but I knew most of the people on the list were knowledgable and hoped to get some insight on how to best proceed.

Some people were very supportive and had good suggestions, and other folks jumped all over me, accused me of lying, even to the point where a few a--holes even called dealerships in that area of the country until they figured out which dealer it was. Two actually spoke to the sales manager of the dealership, and posted the name of it -- somethiing I was being careful not to divulge because I was trying to work out an amicable settlement. The whole thing just turned into an incredible s---storm on the forum, including personal attacks on me. All because I was, in fact, wronged -- the dealership settled with me in the end -- but people can be too quick to judge and accuse when the facts are not all in front of them. And sometimes there's a reason why those facts are not available.

Stealth could've been more forthcoming, or at least said why he was not more clearly, and he may have shown a bit of attitude toward the end ... but go back and read how people accused him of lying, being a troll, speculated (wrongly) on how much he overpaid for the car, did tax calculations to try and figure out his purchase price ... I don't understand that attitude, all because he wanted to try and settle it before he divulged who the dealer in question was. Put yourself in his shoes ... a dealer did something that we all agree is pretty unethical, but he didn't want to give up the car over it, he wanted to vent and get a little advice ... and he winds up being put through the wringer.

There are always two sides to everything ... and I am a professional journalist and I am paid to be objective and skeptical as a result ... but rushing to judgment is just as bad as skewing the original facts, in my book.

This is a great forum, but sometimes you see the other side of things, which is kind of a shame, especially since I have been around for about 10 years now, when what eventually became Rennlist was really starting out. We've lost a lot of really good people as a result ... Viken comes to mind, and there are others if you've been around awhile.

Just my two cents ... there's a certain amount of risk when you post to a forum like this ... and I saw it coming and cringed when I read his post, it brought back some bad memories.
I have been watching this thread with some interest and as an outsider. It is nice to see this post and realize not every 911 owner is an a-hole as they are usually potrayed to be..........
Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM
dmw
Instructor

Hollow spokes from 996TT on rennlist classifieds:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/367392-hollow-spoke-996tt-wheels.html

$1100 obo
Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

This was a very interesting and educational thread on many levels.

Before accusing someone of not being classy in defense of the board, it might be a good idea to read the whole thread. There were several RLers who were less than "classy" with their response to a newb seemingly caught in a ****ty circumstance looking for support. Dodging questions can be cause for some on RL to raise questions about the validity of a newb's claims but making assumptions as to why he may not be as forthcoming as some here would've liked so THEY can feel confident as to his representations...well that's just asinine. It's just as easy to assume that he's some dude looking for attention as it is to assume he's a guy who's never joined a forum before, who's caught in a situation that could have libelous repercussions and is getting advice from his lawyer GF to be careful with what he writes on a public forum as he seeks support.

Casting judgments based on partial information and potentially erroneous assumptions is as smart as believing everything you read on a public forum is true.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vjd3

Well said, and punctuated.

Hmm, come to think of it ... someone who claims to be a journalist writing that clearly--now THAT is a post that could make someone suspicious.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
It is nice to see this post and realize not every 911 owner is an a-hole as they are usually potrayed to be..........

Do you really think that's how people view us?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to get in a pissing match, but I DID read the whole thread, and most peeps did not launch with "you are lying". MANY peeps asked first and the inital tone was one of concern, not one of "he is an imposter". Should Stealth have answered the Qs or said, "I can't answer that yet as I'm trying to get to a solution", rather than the taste he was leaving of dodging and being less than forthcoming, I like to think the responses would have been very different. Maybe that is me being naive since I haven't been here for 10 years and don't know the whole story behind Viken, as an example, but my experience is if I give the facts I have, I usually get good advice, or at least more good than bad. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Car Dealer is screwing me!