[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 07:10 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
What ever it takes to get the weight down

Joking aside MG is now owned by a Chinese automaker, so hopefully they bring their A game and we get a decent benchmark for the first EV sports car.
The initial reviews seem encouraging if not totally positive. Modern MG’s in general are ‘OK’ cars, I’ve rented one for a couple of weeks in Australia and it definitely feels like it’s made to a budget. Hopefully the Cyberster is a step up.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:12 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

Even if new Cayman / Boxster are amazing EVs how does that translate to an emotional driving experience if there is no sound, gear changes, manual trans, etc.
Also these cars are for weekend use mostly or are kept in a vacation home therefore gas savings is not a concern.

I just think the market is super limited.

Forget EV roadster - None of these companies can even sell EV sport sedan (Taycan, Model S, Lucid, Audi Etron GT) - these all sell at huge discounts and depreciate like a rock.

This is why new Bugatti has NA V16 hybrid as Rimac can’t find buyers for their EV hypercar.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:20 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,280 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
in other news, Buggati - also in the VW conglomerate - just announced the 4.4M Bugatti Tourbillon. 1800hp plug-in hybrid with 1000hp coming from a naturally aspirated 16-cylinder and 800hp from 3 e-motors. They took out the turbo's to enhance the experience of the ICE but added a whooping 800(e)hp to more than compensate for that. wow.
Buggati is no longer directly in the VW conglomerate. It was sold to the newly created Bugatti-Rimac conglomerate, owned 55% by Rimac and 45% by Porsche, at the end of 2021.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-20-2024 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:27 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
Even if new Cayman / Boxster are amazing EVs how does that translate to an emotional driving experience if there is no sound, gear changes, manual trans, etc.
Also these cars are for weekend use mostly or are kept in a vacation home therefore gas savings is not a concern.

I just think the market is super limited.

Forget EV roadster - None of these companies can even sell EV sport sedan (Taycan, Model S, Lucid, Audi Etron GT) - these all sell at huge discounts and depreciate like a rock.

This is why new Bugatti has NA V16 hybrid as Rimac can’t find buyers for their EV hypercar.
I think EV sport sedans are a much harder pill to swallow for so many reasons. Firstly nobody wants a sedan. Sedan sales have been declining for over a decade. And EV sport sedans are also very expensive. Top of the food chain pricing for the Plaid and the Lucid and Taycan Turbo. And they have to do their job without getting in the way of your life. The charging situation for a lot of these cars have been historically pretty painful for anyone without a Tesla. Also, the market is saturated with sport sedans.

I think the EV Boxster will be very good. It will be less of a serious car, to be used on the weekends, or at least won't/can't be the primary car for most families. It won't be astronomically expensive, probably on par with the Macan EV. It will probably look awesome given Porsche's design language for the past 10 years. I bet it will put down a killer Nurburgring time. And for some odd reason I'm actually excited to see it reviewed.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 06-20-2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:27 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
But you can't escape that soul crushing whine of electricity as you accelerate.
That’s an interesting take. It’s not ice, but I have a very different association with that sound. I work in industrial controls and frequently with electric motor control, so I associate the sound with power and precision. The alternative is often pneumatic (low force) or hydraulic (low speed) and both typically much lower precision. Those are typically more “budget” options compared to an electric motor (except where you need significant force such a very large press; think tens of millions of lbs; then hydraulic is the way to go). And then within electric motor control, you start at across the line starters, then soft starters, and then move up to a VFD where you get the whine (due to the carrier frequency; not present in ATL or SS). So, for those reasons, that whine doesn’t carry the negative associations for me.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:43 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 312 Posts

Boxster , Cayman built its success on a mid engine,.The Spyder holds the Guiness record . Going from mid engine to no engine is like automotive castraton . All those EV;'s have odd shapes deliberately to get range . It's fake. coolness

Look at early 911's with the small platform , offset pedals , 1960's dash eve into the 90;'s and compare that to todays 992.2 GTS . It's like a freak .

Whats next ? a car that drives the person by itself around the Nurburgring and breaks records .

Hunky (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Boxster , Cayman built its success on a mid engine,.The Spyder holds the Guiness record . Going from mid engine to no engine is like automotive castraton . All those EV;'s have odd shapes deliberately to get range . It's fake. coolness

Look at early 911's with the small platform , offset pedals , 1960's dash eve into the 90;'s and compare that to todays 992.2 GTS . It's like a freak .

Whats next ? a car that drives the person by itself around the Nurburgring and breaks records .
Where do you get 'no-engine' from? And odd shapes? Come on man, now we know you're smoking something!
Old 06-20-2024, 11:19 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I think EV sport sedans are a much harder pill to swallow for so many reasons. Firstly nobody wants a sedan. Sedan sales have been declining for over a decade. And EV sport sedans are also very expensive. Top of the food chain pricing for the Plaid and the Lucid and Taycan Turbo. And they have to do their job without getting in the way of your life. The charging situation for a lot of these cars have been historically pretty painful for anyone without a Tesla. Also, the market is saturated with sport sedans.

I think the EV Boxster will be very good. It will be less of a serious car, to be used on the weekends, or at least won't/can't be the primary car for most families. It won't be astronomically expensive, probably on par with the Macan EV. It will probably look awesome given Porsche's design language for the past 10 years. I bet it will put down a killer Nurburgring time. And for some odd reason I'm actually excited to see it reviewed.
The roadster / 2 seater coupe market is much more limited than sport sedan. You basically have Miata, Z4, Ftype and Boxster in the less than $100k price. The EV Boxster will definitely be more expensive than current one.

Again people buy these cars for engagement not because of performance. Cayman/Boxster have never never been the fastest but they offered a manual and had amazing handling in small lightweight package.

If ppl rejected the 4cyl turbo, the EV will fare even worse.

Considering VW pulling back on their EV plans, hopefully ICE Cayman/Boxster will still be available.

Last year, Volkswagen announced that it had set aside 180 billion euros for the development of next-generation EVs. The auto giant had estimated that by the end of the decade, EVs would account for 80% of their annual sales.

However, one year later, Volkswagen seems to have changed its stand slightly. As confirmed by Arno Antlitz, CFO & COO of Volkswagen Group, the company will now use one-third of its EV budget to continue the development of its combustion engines. Antlitz stated that the VW Group would spend roughly 60 billion euros to keep its combustion cars competitive.

Last edited by R N M; 06-20-2024 at 11:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R N M:
Hunky (06-21-2024), r4mi5awi (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:06 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 230 Posts

After 18 pages, I will never buy a brand new hybrid Porsche 911 for $150,000-$200,000 this year or next year.

I am sure that many you guys here are paid by Porsche to make big hype on a new expensive car. You sold out your soul for sex and money. I'd never do that.
fxz (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 01:42 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 899 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
After 18 pages, I will never buy a brand new hybrid Porsche 911 for $150,000-$200,000 this year or next year.

I am sure that many you guys here are paid by Porsche to make big hype on a new expensive car. You sold out your soul for sex and money. I'd never do that.
same
Old 06-21-2024, 02:01 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
That’s an interesting take. It’s not ice, but I have a very different association with that sound. I work in industrial controls and frequently with electric motor control, so I associate the sound with power and precision. The alternative is often pneumatic (low force) or hydraulic (low speed) and both typically much lower precision. Those are typically more “budget” options compared to an electric motor (except where you need significant force such a very large press; think tens of millions of lbs; then hydraulic is the way to go). And then within electric motor control, you start at across the line starters, then soft starters, and then move up to a VFD where you get the whine (due to the carrier frequency; not present in ATL or SS). So, for those reasons, that whine doesn’t carry the negative associations for me.

It's not really about the association of the sound. I don't like the sound itself. I don't have an issue with electric power per se. It sounds shrill and industrial and has no soul to it
Old 06-21-2024, 04:11 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer

same, plus all that jurnos preparino for their (paid) marketing videos

i cant stand especially the jurnos ex wanna be a pro driver ...with their sneering grin

Someone in Stuttgart should press the
"too much marketing" alarm Button

Last edited by fxz; 06-21-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:16 AM
Mike2000
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the concept of the engine; the new gts-design is amazing... I will order on monday.
porsche wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't break new ground - my simple opinion.
decisions not made are the most expensive

Last edited by Mike2000; 06-21-2024 at 06:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike2000:
aggie57 (06-21-2024), Hunky (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 09:27 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
I wonder how many guys here would know what "VFD", "ATL", or "SS" is. LOL.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:17 AM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike2000
I like the concept of the engine; the new gts-design is amazing... I will order on monday.
porsche wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't break new ground - my simple opinion.
decisions not made are the most expensive
Porsche is around today because 911 has been an evolution not revolutionary. Its the same basic design and rear engined.

Even the turbos on the Carrera models came YEARS after MB/BMW made them mainstream. Now all of a sudden they want to be in forefront of tech?! Seems opposite of how they always operated.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant