Sponsored by:

Just venting - ADM

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:59 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I still can’t figure out why some of you guys take this so personally. Especially when you would do the absolute same thing if you were selling something. How can you overpay for something if that’s what the price is???
Its funny.... I don't take it personally at all but I'm so sick of the buying experience just because of the lack of transparency. If they would just say "Hey we found somebody to pay $10k more in ADM than you so they are getting an allocation and you are still in line" I would fully respect that. Its the fact that they play games and act like they are doing me a favor to even return my calls/emails at this point. Like, I'd be 100% cool with a call that said "hey man you've been waiting forever but this guy is giving us 10k more so if you want the allocation you can match his offer and we'll get you going". Instead its just games and lies.

So I actually ordered a ferrari Roma this week. COMPLETELY different experience with the dealer. Fully transparent/realistic about everything. Because in Ferrari world dealers thrive/survive by selling customer cars on consignment they basically treated me like we were partnering together on the order. I'm still in line at 2 dealers for a Targa 4S allocation but at this rate if it gets too close to when the Roma gets here I'll just back out on the Targa.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:14 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Sorry, but you have that completely backwards. There is no science to an MSRP. It is simply a number chosen by the manufacturer as a "base line". But for some reason folks get emotionally attached to it. You guys would love to shop in Times Square where each item is marked at 300% of its value and then you get 50% off everything. ADMs are determined by the laws of supply and demand and the is no reason to expect them to yield the same market clearing price in different markets where supply and - mostly - demand differ.
There is definitely a science to setting a Manufacturer price point (MSRP). Any business/manufacturer calculates this, and there is an art to it. It involves suppliers, material costs, overhead, labor, Gen/Admin costs, and profit margin. That's the price the factory suggests based on all the stuff that goes into assembling (and shipping) the automobile. Now true, supply and demand has an obvious effect, but when a % markup starts to become irrational to me (and many others!), I simply won't participate in it. Weird times and they are reflected in what people actually are paying and what the cars are listed at.... The whole thing is a shame, tbh.

To me it's kind of a discontinuity in regular pricing/behaviors. It will leave a wake of brown feces...and I'm quite interested in how people act in Porsche dealerships 12 months from now. Just saying!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:16 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by slc4s
Its funny.... I don't take it personally at all but I'm so sick of the buying experience just because of the lack of transparency. If they would just say "Hey we found somebody to pay $10k more in ADM than you so they are getting an allocation and you are still in line" I would fully respect that. Its the fact that they play games and act like they are doing me a favor to even return my calls/emails at this point. Like, I'd be 100% cool with a call that said "hey man you've been waiting forever but this guy is giving us 10k more so if you want the allocation you can match his offer and we'll get you going". Instead its just games and lies.

So I actually ordered a ferrari Roma this week. COMPLETELY different experience with the dealer. Fully transparent/realistic about everything. Because in Ferrari world dealers thrive/survive by selling customer cars on consignment they basically treated me like we were partnering together on the order. I'm still in line at 2 dealers for a Targa 4S allocation but at this rate if it gets too close to when the Roma gets here I'll just back out on the Targa.
And that sir is precisely it. You get tired of the b.s. It gets annoying. The whole thing is like going to a f* auction, and I'm not here for it.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:19 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
There is definitely a science to setting a Manufacturer price point (MSRP). Any business/manufacturer calculates this, and there is an art to it. It involves suppliers, material costs, overhead, labor, Gen/Admin costs, and profit margin. That's the price the factory suggests based on all the stuff that goes into assembling (and shipping) the automobile. Now true, supply and demand has an obvious effect, but when a % markup starts to become irrational to me (and many others!), I simply won't participate in it. Weird times and they are reflected in what people actually are paying and what the cars are listed at.... The whole thing is a shame, tbh.

To me it's kind of a discontinuity in regular pricing/behaviors. It will leave a wake of brown feces...and I'm quite interested in how people act in Porsche dealerships 12 months from now. Just saying!
Perhaps you could request to be the person to set the price nationwide. You could then set it at what feels rational to you.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Or maybe EU has regulations that don't allow arbitrary markups over MSRP? There are a lot of sh1tty things we deal with here in US that they don't deal with over there. Prices listed have to be inclusive of taxes and fees. It's quite refreshing. Book a hotel here and the rate you're charged is 20% higher than the one you were quoted once you add all the nonsense.
Let me ask you something. Do you actually believe all that…………stuff you just wrote???
Old 06-29-2022, 08:24 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by luckycanine
I think the point is some dealers sell at MSRP and others have arrogant ADMs. if every single dealer had an ADM of $20k then that is the effective MSRP. However, this sillyness is forcing people to hunt for the good ones.. while stealerships make bank. And yes, base C2 owner here who paid MSRP. And no, I cannot afford a $20k ADM.
Now this I would have no problem with. A roughly 10-15% markup is reasonable (to me anyway). And make it consistent. Not these wild nonlinear, irrational fluctuations and arrogance to add to the pleasure.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:26 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Let me ask you something. Do you actually believe all that…………stuff you just wrote???
um - yes?
Old 06-29-2022, 08:26 PM
chance6
Race Car

Perhaps you could request to be the person to set the price nationwide. You could then set it at what feels rational to you.
Do you honestly think a 50% markup on a unit of $200k is reasonable? I certainly don't and there's a long line of folks right behind me that agree that it's ridiculous.

No matter, it will be changing soon enough.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:14 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Do you honestly think a 50% markup on a unit of $200k is reasonable? I certainly don't and there's a long line of folks right behind me that agree that it's ridiculous.

But there is a long enough line of people in front of you willing to pay it. Should the dealer sell it to you for less than the next guy is willing to pay?
Old 06-30-2022, 05:30 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
But there is a long enough line of people in front of you willing to pay it. Should the dealer sell it to you for less than the next guy is willing to pay?
^^^This!
Old 06-30-2022, 05:54 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

As soon as people stop paying ADM's the prices will come down.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:59 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ENCT
As soon as people stop paying ADM's the prices will come down.
Why stop at that? As soon as people stop paying MSRP and force Porsche to let them pay 20% under MSRP the sooner will be paying 20% under MSRP. Right? Man I like this. I can do more of this. How about this. As soon as people stop buying Porsches unless they offer free 100,000 mile warranty‘s the sooner Porsche will start offering free 100,000 mile warranty‘s. This is freaking awesome. As soon as people stop buying Porsche unless they stop charging for special paint the sooner we will start getting special paint without paying an up charge. Man I have about 10 more but I don’t wanna bore you.

So all we have to do now is organize worldwide to get this done. I’ll print up some pamphlets.
The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 06:05 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

I have been dealing with the same dealership for many years. The best discount I got was 1% on a 2019 TTS. I never beat the salesman up in bad times and he doesn't beat me up in good times. I am in business and value my long term customers. We do live in a free market, if you don't want to pay the ADM, walk away and stop crying about it. Same as all the people bragging about how they got 9% off a few years ago. I will stop now.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:13 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Um….. I don’t get to determine what’s reasonable. Neither do you. The market does. I do not understand for the life of me why is so difficult to figure this out. It has zero to do with what is reasonable. The only time reasonable comes in to play in capitalism is for commodity items that are plentiful. But still then competition is what controls and determines profit margin‘s on most products especially commodities so even then the word reasonable it’s not a term used in this market either.. However a Porsche is not a commodity.

Just because I have a couple extra minutes I’m going to attempt to explain this to you one last time. Please let me know if you even kind of grasp this concept after you’re done reading this post. I won’t charge you for this by the way. I’m going to pull you into this and use you personally in this example.

OK you and your wife own a house. You lived in it for 15 years having built it in 2007 and originally you paid $650,000 for it. It was brand-new. It’s time for you to retire and move on. Oh did I mention you live in Florida the hottest housing market in the country right now. You and your wife are discussing how much you should ask for your house. You’re trying to determine what is “reasonable”. You’d like to make some money so all on your own without a real estate agent you guys decide to ask for $800,000. You list your house that night at 9 PM. When you wake up the next morning you go to your listing and find you have 62 offers. These offers are now ranging anywhere from $700,000 to $1.4 million. You and your wife look up the person offering you $1.4 million and it’s 100% legitimate. So what do you do my friend? What is “reasonable” in this situation. I would love to hear your complete total honest answer on this. It will be interesting to see if you hold yourself and your wife to the same standard you wish to hold Porsche dealerships at.

By the way this scenario has happened all the time the last couple of years in Florida during Covid. Granted it’s slowing down now since the powers to be are hell bent at destroying the entire economy including the housing market but that doesn’t change the fact that the scenario I offered you above was a very common one in Florida for a while. I’m looking forward to your answer.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:17 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ENCT
I have been dealing with the same dealership for many years. The best discount I got was 1% on a 2019 TTS. I never beat the salesman up in bad times and he doesn't beat me up in good times. I am in business and value my long term customers. We do live in a free market, if you don't want to pay the ADM, walk away and stop crying about it. Same as all the people bragging about how they got 9% off a few years ago. I will stop now.
This was a very reasonable and accurate post. Your other post just didn’t make sense.

Quick Reply: Just venting - ADM