Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 12:07 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
True, those EVs go up like the Hindenberg.
there has to be footage but VW won’t release it if a Taycan went up in flames, that PR wouldn’t benefit the brand
The following users liked this post:
JRBucks (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:19 AM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

That’s a tough loss, and it’s not going to help the supply/demand imbalance for Porsche in the short term. Feel for the folks that were looking forward to getting their car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Newport IRL:
AlexCeres (02-17-2022), ron4sc (02-17-2022), tomingrassia (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:53 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Crazy. My PTS Taycan Turbo S got out on the Dyonesos Leader right before the Ace but I think my buddies 992 was on that ship. He has no idea...oh boy....
tomingrassia (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 01:03 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,331 Likes on 1,188 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1289...-atlantic.html
Old 02-17-2022, 01:16 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Insurance will cover all losses. Every vehicle will be replaced. Be sure that the ship would not have been allowed to leave port or even be loaded if the insurance paperwork wasn't at full German Perfection standards.

You may have to wait a while, but consider this: It's guaranteed full employment at the Porsche factory (VW too, not that I care about VWs...) for quite some time. In fact, since the production lines will be SO busy,
it may be an opportunity to order cars that had gone past orderable status. They're going to make more anyway, or at least that seems probable. So why not tack on a few more orders?

And there is a silver lining: If your car was affected, you will probably get a free upgrade to next year's model. And the value of your late model Porsche just took a significant jump, too.

AlexCeres (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 06:08 AM
NotanotherIMS
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-save-it.html
Old 02-17-2022, 07:09 AM
911Stiller
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 51 Posts

This is unfortunate. Glad the crew is reportedly ok. Hopefully they fully engaged the fire suppression system before leaving.

Does anyone know how many 992s are typically on a boat? That could give a better idea of the delay.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:16 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdimes
everyone was reported safe. Don’t be so sensitive. It’s tacky
crew safety was unknown at the time of the tasteless remark.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:06 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,722 Posts

My understanding is that there are 800 Porsches on board. This is very sad. I can't imagine how those of you must feel with cars on that ship. My car came on the Felicity Ace in December. I would be beyond heartbroken had this happened to me.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Insurance will cover all losses. Every vehicle will be replaced. Be sure that the ship would not have been allowed to leave port or even be loaded if the insurance paperwork wasn't at full German Perfection standards.

You may have to wait a while, but consider this: It's guaranteed full employment at the Porsche factory (VW too, not that I care about VWs...) for quite some time. In fact, since the production lines will be SO busy,
it may be an opportunity to order cars that had gone past orderable status. They're going to make more anyway, or at least that seems probable. So why not tack on a few more orders?

And there is a silver lining: If your car was affected, you will probably get a free upgrade to next year's model. And the value of your late model Porsche just took a significant jump, too.

FOR SALE Early 2022 Porsche 992, Low miles, "Smoking Deal"!!!!!!

Cars can and will be rebuilt, Everyone is safe and thats the most important. Not to mention if you already own 0ne, or a few the value just went up.
If your biggest trouble is that your car just went up in smoke, your still a very lucky person!
The following 4 users liked this post by BNB911:
cmjohnson (02-17-2022), mdrobc1213 (02-18-2022), miporsche (02-23-2022), T3X4S (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:18 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
I...............................

Production in the auto industry is already maxed out; with supply chain issues as the overriding limiting factor.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:22 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Production in the auto industry is already maxed out; with supply chain issues as the overriding limiting factor.
Yep. And the industry just lost a material portion of their transport capacity. High prices and long waits will continue just as we may have started to see some constraints lessening.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:26 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not going to be one of the people who are waiting on news from Porsche on what is the status of their car, or what happens next, but I can't help but wonder how that conversation will go.

I'm sure Porsche will be made whole via the miracle of insurance, and so will those who had cars on that ship. I am presuming a total loss. I expect no cars to come out of that ship in sellable condition, except as burned scrap metal.
And if it sinks...not even that. But if it sinks in shallow water it'll be salvaged for "environmental reasons" at great cost.

You'll be VERY lucky if somehow the fire doesn't get into some levels of the cargo hold and there is a possibility of some cars being saved.

Last I heard the ship is adrift near the Azores. If it sinks, what are the odds that it sinks close to the site where a USAF Boeing KC-97 that my father once flew sank after ditching in the ocean near the Azores?

Old 02-17-2022, 10:33 AM
pfelsen
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 48 Posts

My 992 came over on the Felicity Ace in December as well. I cannot even imagine what I would have felt if my car was on this vessel now.

Echoing what others have said, fortunately, no human lives were lost.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:55 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Yep. And the industry just lost a material portion of their transport capacity. High prices and long waits will continue just as we may have started to see some constraints lessening.
Well, I don't think loosing one ship out of 7,027 can be considered a "material portion of their transport capacity" .... Yes it is not good to lose any ship, yet lets put this "1st world problem" into proper perspective. Yes, there will be further delays in getting new Porsche Vehicles to customers in the U.S., and these customers will be disappointed and annoyed with the additional wait times for their ~$100,000+ vehicles (I would be). Yet the important factors are that the Crew of the Felicity Ace is reported as safe...... Cars can and will be replaced, people not so easily.

I agree that wait times for certain models of new Porsche vehicles will be increased, yet as I said earlier.... This is a 1st world problem.

Lots of options out there to fill our Sports Car needs while we wait for our new Porsches to arrive.

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
mdrobc1213 (02-18-2022), Riazah (02-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic