Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 09:12 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
A catback is still Stage 1.

Sorry, I realize those map notes are a bit vague but our official wording needs to be.

Stage 2 would be upgraded link pipes. This would be upgraded high flow cats or better.

-Charles@M
High flow cats or go home, my friends. That was my very first mod
The following users liked this post:
mattchow (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:21 AM
walter8299
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@M Engineering Would you recommend inspecting the plugs and ensuring it is gapped to 0.022 on a yearly basis, or a mileage basis (ie 12,000 KM or 7,500 miles)? Would the Stage 2 Tune worn out the plugs sooner than the factory specs of the plugs?

I recall you said that on a newer car with low mileage (mine is at 9500 km / under 6000 miles ) should not worry about gapping to 0.022. What is our plugs gapped at from factory? Should I install the tune now and drive it for a year and when I do my Spring maintenance 2023, I can gap it?

I just want to play it safe, knowing now I am basically losing warranty on the engine now.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:41 AM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 96 Posts

I’m still having problems with my tune. The second map doesn’t work after testing.

I’ll reach out again to the team.

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
testing new tune map this weekend
Old 08-21-2022, 08:23 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I’m still having problems with my tune. The second map doesn’t work after testing.

I’ll reach out again to the team.
Nigel, they will get you sorted out. That’s what you’re paying for, not an off the shelf tune . Takes more time but it’s worth it. It took about 7 calibrations (adding items and flattening the boost curve etc) and then they did an entirely new tune V200 which runs really well. I’m actually tuning it again today, adding the open valves, cold start removal once again but on the good base tune so we will see. Hope your tuning gets you to a happy power output Nigel.
NigelPlays (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 06:24 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 96 Posts

Good to know. Just frustrating heading to the track 5 hours away and the tune doesn’t work.

But the team is answering me so that’s good.

Let’s see what happens this week.

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
Nigel, they will get you sorted out. That’s what you’re paying for, not an off the shelf tune . Takes more time but it’s worth it. It took about 7 calibrations (adding items and flattening the boost curve etc) and then they did an entirely new tune V200 which runs really well. I’m actually tuning it again today, adding the open valves, cold start removal once again but on the good base tune so we will see. Hope your tuning gets you to a happy power output Nigel.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:50 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Good to know. Just frustrating heading to the track 5 hours away and the tune doesn’t work.

without an intercooler upgrade the tune probably won’t work well at the track but I hope it does for you. These cars just generate too much heat otherwise.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:11 PM
walter8299
Track Day

Could you explain what isn't working with the tune? I am curious because I am wondering if the calibration is a one-attempt good, or do I need to go back and forth with them.

Thank you kindly and appreciate it!
Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by walter8299
Could you explain what isn't working with the tune? I am curious because I am wondering if the calibration is a one-attempt good, or do I need to go back and forth with them.

Thank you kindly and appreciate it!
From reading this thread and my own experience, I think it’s rare that people run into issues w/ the tune. Mine worked perfectly on the initial tune. I asked for a revision to increase stationary rev limiter RPM even higher and add back in auto start/stop as I found that disabling auto start/stop on manuals also removed the feature where the car automatically restarts when stalled just by stepping on the clutch. But aside from these features, the tune itself was seamless from the first map. No error codes, no odd warning lights, just pure sound and performance. I’m also in AZ and it’s obviously hot here but I have not had to ask them for a revised tune to deal with the summer heat.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
SBAD (08-22-2022), shrimp money (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 06:16 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
From reading this thread and my own experience, I think it’s rare that people run into issues w/ the tune. Mine worked perfectly on the initial tune. I asked for a revision to increase stationary rev limiter RPM even higher and add back in auto start/stop as I found that disabling auto start/stop on manuals also removed the feature where the car automatically restarts when stalled just by stepping on the clutch. But aside from these features, the tune itself was seamless from the first map. No error codes, no odd warning lights, just pure sound and performance. I’m also in AZ and it’s obviously hot here but I have not had to ask them for a revised tune to deal with the summer heat.
Different cars have different box codes so maybe that makes a difference. Some tuners I spoke to did not have a tune for my particular box code when I was shopping for a tune.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:32 AM
walter8299
Track Day

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I am from Toronto in Canada, I don't think my summer heat would be an issue compared to AZ, as I think these Tunes are tested in the South of US, they probably factor in a lot of heat issues. Not sure how my tune going to be like in the Winter in Toronto

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Different cars have different box codes so maybe that makes a difference. Some tuners I spoke to did not have a tune for my particular box code when I was shopping for a tune.
Good info to know. Learning more day by day!
Old 08-22-2022, 11:51 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by walter8299
I am from Toronto in Canada, I don't think my summer heat would be an issue compared to AZ, as I think these Tunes are tested in the South of US, they probably factor in a lot of heat issues. Not sure how my tune going to be like in the Winter in Toronto

Good info to know. Learning more day by day!
Every single tuned turbo car I've ever had drives incredibly fast during the cold winter months thanks to the cold, dense air.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:46 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
without an intercooler upgrade the tune probably won’t work well at the track but I hope it does for you. These cars just generate too much heat otherwise.
I believe he's referring to heat soak. Intense Track use heat is very different from daily driving in hot parts of the country.

Another issue is trusting porsche to make a reliable engine, not necessarily the tuner being competent. If the engine craps out and there's a tune, you're on your own, regardless of the specific failure reason. My own experience was not positive,but most folks are luckier.
Tupper (08-22-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 12:19 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

The placement of the 992's intercooler is not in an ideal location for keeping intake air temperatures down and is prone to heat soaking fairly quickly, tune or no tune. When you go wide open throttle, the turbo chargers are doing more work and quickly generate heat. It requires lots of wind to cool the fins down. The colder the air the better, and if you have more efficient fins and cores it's quite helpful.
It is certainly beneficial to upgrade your intercooler on these cars if you want to drop those temperatures so that you can make and hold power longer. You can take this a step further with installing methanol which will really drop temperatures and raise your effective octane.

-Charles@M
Old 08-23-2022, 01:35 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,060 Likes on 2,029 Posts

The solution is to mount this on the rear glass and get a power inverter.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:29 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
The solution is to mount this on the rear glass and get a power inverter.

People do love air cooled engines.
AlterZgo (08-23-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing