Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
I will let the community chime in with their feedback to that statement as you're definitely looking for their feedback specifically. But it is worth mentioning again that one of the coolest aspects of M-Tuner is the ability to datalog. So if there is an issue (mechanical or otherwise) we can find it and advise next action steps towards a fix or update.

-Charles@M
I received the kit with the OBD dongle the day after I ordered it via UPS overnight delivery. At 1:45pm I emailed them the data they needed to create the tune and by 7pm that same day the files were in my inbox. The next day I installed the tune - it took 5:56 and went smooth. Really easy process -the directions are straightforward.

I'm driving a Carrera 4. The gains are noticeable when you want it and it drives smooth when you just want to cruise around town. It's definitely a bump in power and performance but not ridiculous. Today while I was driving I had an error message about the sensors on my rear bumper and that I needed to clean them, but it went away about 10 minutes after it popped up, but it didn't repeat the next time I drove. So far, I'm happy. Loving that the process was simple because if I want to uninstall it when I take it in for service, it will take a whopping 6 minutes.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:22 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
I received the kit with the OBD dongle the day after I ordered it via UPS overnight delivery. At 1:45pm I emailed them the data they needed to create the tune and by 7pm that same day the files were in my inbox. The next day I installed the tune - it took 5:56 and went smooth. Really easy process -the directions are straightforward.

I'm driving a Carrera 4. The gains are noticeable when you want it and it drives smooth when you just want to cruise around town. It's definitely a bump in power and performance but not ridiculous. Today while I was driving I had an error message about the sensors on my rear bumper and that I needed to clean them, but it went away about 10 minutes after it popped up, but it didn't repeat the next time I drove. So far, I'm happy. Loving that the process was simple because if I want to uninstall it when I take it in for service, it will take a whopping 6 minutes.
Which tune did you install, 91 or 93 Octane?
Old 10-15-2021, 06:23 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
Which tune did you install, 91 or 93 Octane?
93. In NY 93 is readily available.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

M Engineering and Mitch the owner are probably the best tuners in the US. With most cars there are multiple tuners who are all similar but with the 992 platform it seems as if M Engineering wanted to go and get the market. I am happy they succeeded. They have data logging, at home flashing, multiple tunes for various octanes.. Other tuners should take note, this is how its done. Well Done M Engineering.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
detansinn (10-15-2021), got2go (10-16-2021), Grandmarshal (10-19-2021), Love_Tacos_911 (08-08-2023)
Old 10-16-2021, 03:09 AM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Not to gloat but keeping with or my case passing a mclaren 720 and Ferrari 458 at highway speeds at WOT is enjoyable

i just wrapped up a rally and the only car that out paced me was a 1700 hp Nissan GTR

edit: Mclarens had to keep stopping for fuel every 100 miles

Last edited by 4 Rings; 10-17-2021 at 10:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4 Rings:
AlterZgo (10-27-2021), markchristenson (03-18-2022), reddsektor (10-16-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 PM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Perhaps a dumb question since I've never tuned my car before - if I tune back to stock (say, to sell the car), can I re-sell the license for the tune to someone else? Or is it a "one and done" consumable?
Old 10-18-2021, 10:15 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Another reason to buy Cobb. YES, with Cobb you can sell the hand held and tune. With the others you cannot, it stays with the car.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:29 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Rings
Not to gloat but keeping with or my case passing a mclaren 720 and Ferrari 458 at highway speeds at WOT is enjoyable

i just wrapped up a rally and the only car that out paced me was a 1700 hp Nissan GTR

edit: Mclarens had to keep stopping for fuel every 100 miles
I own both a 992 and a 720s, + a few other fun cars cars (I have had a 458 - I am sure you are running with that). I am sure your tune is huge by stock comparison, and I look forward to getting one on my newly ordered Targa (just sold my 992 C4S). But if you are running with a 720 HP to the wheels (my 720s dynoed just below that at the wheels) - I would be very impressed. You may think you are running with a 720, but honestly you are not even close. Also, I have extensive miles and time (over 2.5 year) in my 720, and I am also not stopping at 100 miles to refuel... It is more like 150 :-)

We have posted some times we have run on a stock 720s with street tires on McLaren Life - most of us have broken below 10s 1/4. There is no way you are running that outside a Turbo S (they usually don't either). Trust me I am all in on my Porsches, I have had many and love them... and always have one in my stable.. But they are not going to out run a 720 with that tune.

Honestly there is not much keeping up with the 720s, with the right driver. But I am sure your tuned 992 is improved, no doubt.. and at 1/2 or less of the price. Still impressive, but let's not get carried away with blowing everything out of the water.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
porscheprestige (02-01-2022), tez2013 (10-25-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:41 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,564 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanaut
Perhaps a dumb question since I've never tuned my car before - if I tune back to stock (say, to sell the car), can I re-sell the license for the tune to someone else? Or is it a "one and done" consumable?
Not a dumb question at all! When you purchase a tune/license, that belongs to the original purchaser. We have more information here regarding secondhand M-Tuner: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...rt+for+M-Tuner

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Another reason to buy Cobb. YES, with Cobb you can sell the hand held and tune. With the others you cannot, it stays with the car.
M-Engineering is currently the only company that offers true OBD flashing for your 992 Turbo, Carrera, or 982 4.0L cars. No ECU removal is required unlike the few competitors that can flash these and that's on the bench only. Flashing back to stock is also a breeze with M-Tuner.

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I own both a 992 and a 720s, + a few other fun cars cars (I have had a 458 - I am sure you are running with that). I am sure your tune is huge by stock comparison, and I look forward to getting one on my newly ordered Targa (just sold my 992 C4S). But if you are running with a 720 HP to the wheels (my 720s dynoed just below that at the wheels) - I would be very impressed. You may think you are running with a 720, but honestly you are not even close. Also, I have extensive miles and time (over 2.5 year) in my 720, and I am also not stopping at 100 miles to refuel... It is more like 150 :-)

We have posted some times we have run on a stock 720s with street tires on McLaren Life - most of us have broken below 10s 1/4. There is no way you are running that outside a Turbo S (they usually don't either). Trust me I am all in on my Porsches, I have had many and love them... and always have one in my stable.. But they are not going to out run a 720 with that tune.

Honestly there is not much keeping up with the 720s, with the right driver. But I am sure your tuned 992 is improved, no doubt.. and at 1/2 or less of the price. Still impressive, but let's not get carried away with blowing everything out of the water.
Our other big platform we provide M-Tuner calibrations for is McLaren. The M840T cars are very hard to keep up with...they are monsters.

-Charles@M
The following users liked this post:
Richard_Wallace (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:25 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

that’s why I’d love to see some real numbers not just hyperbole.
The following 2 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
peterdouglas (10-19-2021), Richard_Wallace (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

What I honestly struggle with most is the price point to be frank. Not saying M-Engineering isn't a great newish vendor, it sure sounds like it, and I'm seriously considering their tune for my 992, but I think its also fair to point out there are other, much longer term tuners out there, such as FVD and GIAC, at much lower price points as well. Heck, LitchField motors tune costs almost half!

I get it though...its inconvenient to pull the ECU. No disagreements here! But - well, it is and it isn't. what I mean is that some, perhaps many luxury car owners have more than enough vehicles, so I say so what....let my Pcar sit for a few extra days until I plug the ECU back in from bench flashing.

Anyway, if it helps anyone else out I can personally attest to FVDs quality, having gone to them on two prior Porsches, spanning over decade of (tuned) ownership. Not a single issue with either tune, tech support was also very good. Both tunes where through the OBD by the way (MyGenius tool), I know they are working on getting OBD functionality too. FWIW - Cobb also sounds like they are not far behind as well with the OBD, and their prices will also be lower than M-Engineering...just saying guys....

In the end I get that M-Engineering is first to market, and there is certainly, and very respectfully, something to say for that, but $2500 for a nearly base model S tune.....IDK guys @ M, as you point out Charles most of us are are not McLaren owners (no offense taken, lol) so cut us a little more slack then since we know FVD (and perhaps other vendors) will provide Rennlisters with a reasonable discount and/or more palatable price point for non-dyno tuning.

http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/pors...e-992-carreras

http://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD99261820...nd-in-ecu.html

http://www.giacusa.com/supported_pro...ne=3.0%20Turbo

Last edited by westsiderkg; 10-19-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:56 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

I couldnt agree more and I don't even own a 720S. Some might be getting a little carried away to think their tuned 992 is going to keep up with a 720. Unless that McLaren owner was really taking it easy I dont see a ~550whp C2S keeping up with a lighter ~720whp 720s

Last edited by but did you die; 10-19-2021 at 04:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by but did you die:
porscheprestige (02-01-2022), Richard_Wallace (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:34 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,564 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
What I honestly struggle with most is the price point to be frank. Not saying M-Engineering isn't a great newish vendor, it sure sounds like it, and I'm seriously considering their tune for my 992, but I think its also fair to point out there are other, much longer term tuners out there, such as FVD and GIAC, at much lower price points as well. Heck, LitchField motors tune costs almost half!

I get it though...its inconvenient to pull the ECU. No disagreements here! But - well, it is and it isn't. what I mean is that some, perhaps many luxury car owners have more than enough vehicles, so I say so what....let my Pcar sit for a few extra days until I plug the ECU back in.

Anyway, if it helps anyone else out I can personally attest to FVDs quality, having gone to them on two prior Porsches, spanning over decade of (tuned) ownership. Not a single issue with either tune, tech support was also very good. Both tunes where through the OBD by the way (MyGenius tool), I know they are working on getting OBD functionality too. FWIW - Cobb also sounds like they are also not far behind as well with the OBD, and their prices will also be lower than M-Engineering...just saying guys....

In the end I get that M-Engineering is first to market, and there is certainly, and very respectfully, something to say for that, but $2500 for a nearly base model S tune.....IDK guys @ M, as you point out Charles most of us are are not McLaren owners (no offense taken, lol) so cut us a little more slack then since we know FVD will provide Rennlisters with a reasonable discount.

http://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD99261820...nd-in-ecu.html

www.giacusa.com/supported_products.php?make=Porsche&model_id_1=507&engine=3.0%20Turbo

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/porsche/porsche-992-carreras/
Thank you for your feedback, it is always appreciated and valued! The M-Engineering calibration and engineering team has over a decade of Porsche tuning experience and is one of the official Technical Partners of Porsche Motorsport North America. Our calibrations are present on all of the Pike's Peak winning and contending Porsches and are used on many motorsport cars in various other divisions and race series. As some may know, the M-Engineering team came from a very reputable tuning company you mentioned based in the US that created the Porsche team there. Since, they have broken off and started M-Engineering to give all of y'all an even better product for our cars.

Our calibrations for the 9x2 platform, whether it is the Carrera, Turbo, or 718 4.0L model cars are all industry leading. You will not find a more comprehensive, safe, reliable, and powerful calibration on the market, not to mention extreme ease of use for flashing protocols. For this, our calibrations are priced very fair.

We welcome any Rennlist users to mention their forum membership to us and we are happy to offer 5% their M-Tuner suite.

-Charles@M
The following 4 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (10-27-2021), FBurmer (06-26-2022), Love_Tacos_911 (08-08-2023), Richard_Wallace (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:42 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks Charles!!!
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by M Engineering
The advantage is you don't have to remove your rear bumper and take the ECU out, and have the car down for several days while you ship the ECU, have it flashed, and then shipped back, and have to have it reinstalled. With M-Tuner, you just plug a cable in and in about 5 minutes the whole process is over. Anytime you need a map update or go to another stage, you don't have to do the ECU out process over and over. Additionally, you can go back to true stock undetected and unmodified when you uninstall, any counters or CVN/CALID won't be changed.

The manual transmission can take the increased power and torque without any slippage or issues. If you are having clutch wear issues, check your driving style :P

-Charles@M
@M Engineering , with your 992 tune, what are the options for custom coding, and are these at an additional cost over the $2500? For example, outside of the tuning maps, can you change these:

- PSE VALVE OPERATION TO 100% OPEN or CLOSED (not variable on rpm levels like the stock (992 )
- COLD START TIMING
- REV LIMITER
- TURN OFF AUTO-START/STOP

^ In order of most desired...
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (10-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing