992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 04:09 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by William992
How critical is the spark plugs thing? I have a ~6500 miles car and don't track it .. however, i am the second owner so who knows what happened before. I think normally the plugs go around 30k? Would be a shame to blow it all up
I guess your mileage will vary. For me it was kaput at 12k miles. There were track shenanigans involved and I'm not sure why this happened or if it would happen regardless of hard use. Even fuel type could have played a role as the fuel outside of the track was 91. Maybe the tuning professionals can answer that.

The 991.2 has had a good track record with mods, at least no large number of dead engines. The 992 is similar but the intercooler location makes it more prone to suffer with heating issues, again based on what I read.
I have no definite answer as there's no diagnosis from the dealer or factory.
The following users liked this post:
Tkim (12-29-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 04:09 PM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

In my opinion, if the car is so finicky and there aren’t any safety measure before a spark plug causes the engine to be destroyed, the car is worthless as a high end sports car. I’m sure every story told about a blown engine has some facts either undiscovered or intentionally removed from the story.
These cars are virtually indestructible even when you try pretty hard. This is the same engine that runs 24 hour races, just think about that. For the 2-5 mins of hard driving a day most of us do, these cars are driven to the ground for 24 hours and more.
AlterZgo (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 05:34 PM
William992
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I guess your mileage will vary. For me it was kaput at 12k miles. There were track shenanigans involved and I'm not sure why this happened or if it would happen regardless of hard use. Even fuel type could have played a role as the fuel outside of the track was 91. Maybe the tuning professionals can answer that.

The 991.2 has had a good track record with mods, at least no large number of dead engines. The 992 is similar but the intercooler location makes it more prone to suffer with heating issues, again based on what I read.
I have no definite answer as there's no diagnosis from the dealer or factory.
Fair, it is what it is. For now mine only uses ron102 while its mapped for 98. I flashed it back today just to test and without the tune the car is quite sluggish. Funny how quickly you can get spoiled.
991.1 Guy (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 07:50 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Casual drive this morning, 194 coolant temp in Sport+ Mode during the 45 minute trip.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:39 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks @M Engineering have my valve-open mod actually working now; I thought it was always there before but I guess it never was, because NOW it definitely is activated and it’s night and day difference with the PSE! Much deeper, louder and throatier (I also have catless downpipes), it sounds like a new exhaust with akrapovic-ish tones, (I’m sure the real thing is even better)…absolutely love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by reddsektor:
AlterZgo (12-28-2022), mattchow (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:06 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

The PSE valve mod is awesome, right??!! Totally transforms the car's sound.

For those asking about spark plugs. Spark plugs are a wear item on any vehicle. With higher mileage and hard miles driven on a set of plugs, they have a tendency to begin blowing out spark if they haven't been replaced. This issue is exacerbated when you are in WOT conditions, or when you apply a tune that is running higher boost pressures. Therefore, we recommend new plugs gapped down to .022". Factory Porsche plugs work well.

Most cars we tune seem to have no issues at all but it's more or less a note for higher mile cars or cars running even bigger power like the Stage 4 setups. As a refresher, M-Tuner has datalogging capabilities and logs can be reviewed yourself or by us for peace of mind. We can see in the logs if you are having fuel or spark issues typically, and also sometimes you will see the dash flash the CEL if it is actively misfiring.

Great questions everyone!

-Charles@M
Old 12-28-2022, 11:11 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
The PSE valve mod is awesome, right??!! Totally transforms the car's sound.

For those asking about spark plugs. Spark plugs are a wear item on any vehicle. With higher mileage and hard miles driven on a set of plugs, they have a tendency to begin blowing out spark if they haven't been replaced. This issue is exacerbated when you are in WOT conditions, or when you apply a tune that is running higher boost pressures. Therefore, we recommend new plugs gapped down to .022". Factory Porsche plugs work well.

Most cars we tune seem to have no issues at all but it's more or less a note for higher mile cars or cars running even bigger power like the Stage 4 setups. As a refresher, M-Tuner has datalogging capabilities and logs can be reviewed yourself or by us for peace of mind. We can see in the logs if you are having fuel or spark issues typically, and also sometimes you will see the dash flash the CEL if it is actively misfiring.

Great questions everyone!

-Charles@M
What specifically should we be looking for for fuel and spark issues? P0148 codes for instance?
Old 12-28-2022, 01:48 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It usually starts off with what looks like really bad knock on datalogs, but can also show itself in the form of an active misfire (flashing CEL on the dash) with an active misfire CEL, and you can also see sudden lean spikes in the lambda on a log. It can be harder to diag if it's also only one cylinder doing it.

The spark plug thing is generally a non-issue for most cars until you get higher miles on the plugs or you are pushing big power numbers and need to squeeze the gapping down. Either way, if you're due for plugs put them down to .022" anyways. Factory gapping is too large.

-Charles@M
DEALKLR911 (12-28-2022)
Old 01-05-2023, 02:30 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Special thanks to @J9H8SMYRED911 for coming by last week for an in-shop install of M-Tuner at our Pompano Beach facility!

This 992 Base Carrera in Guards Red looks absolutely fantastic and rips even harder with our M-Engineering Stage 1 Tune via M-Tuner.
M-Tuners are always in-stock and ready to install same-day.

Our client opted for a Stage 1 tune with 93 octane. The included custom features added were removal of valve codes due to valve-less exhaust, and elimination of the auto start/stop feature. These features are always free-of-charge with the purchase of M-Tuner and are custom coded and made by M-Engineering.
Since we had some time with the car, we went ahead and did some street pulls with it to gather and analyze data from our logging capabilities, and we were able to dial the car in a little bit more as well.

We are looking forward to when this car comes back with bigger turbos and will get a PDK2 calibration and a full ProTune on the dyno!

-Charles@M

The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
DEALKLR911 (01-05-2023), Therosser77 (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish i live closer to Pompano Beach
Old 01-05-2023, 04:00 PM
DEALKLR911
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Special thanks to @J9H8SMYRED911 for coming by last week for an in-shop install of M-Tuner at our Pompano Beach facility!

This 992 Base Carrera in Guards Red looks absolutely fantastic and rips even harder with our M-Engineering Stage 1 Tune via M-Tuner.
M-Tuners are always in-stock and ready to install same-day.

Our client opted for a Stage 1 tune with 93 octane. The included custom features added were removal of valve codes due to valve-less exhaust, and elimination of the auto start/stop feature. These features are always free-of-charge with the purchase of M-Tuner and are custom coded and made by M-Engineering.
Since we had some time with the car, we went ahead and did some street pulls with it to gather and analyze data from our logging capabilities, and we were able to dial the car in a little bit more as well.

We are looking forward to when this car comes back with bigger turbos and will get a PDK2 calibration and a full ProTune on the dyno!

-Charles@M

Took me a while and some research but in the end this is the platform that worked best. Excellent so far. Soul performance cats just arrived. Working my way back.

Looking forward to the Carrera “M” designation. 🔥🔥

Last edited by DEALKLR911; 01-05-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:54 AM
992cs.ind
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello @M Engineering ,
I have a 992 c2s, I have been in talking terms with one of your authorized dealers here in India.
I just have 1 question - I am not really sure if I should be going for standard OTS map or go for Pro-tuning.

Can any one from the @M Engineering team guide me further so I can go ahead and place my order.

List of Mods -
Upgraded headers, cattless downpipes, no-valve titanium exhaust, BMC air filters, IPD plenum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:39 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 992cs.ind
Hello @M Engineering ,
I have a 992 c2s, I have been in talking terms with one of your authorized dealers here in India.
I just have 1 question - I am not really sure if I should be going for standard OTS map or go for Pro-tuning.

Can any one from the @M Engineering team guide me further so I can go ahead and place my order.

List of Mods -
Upgraded headers, cattless downpipes, no-valve titanium exhaust, BMC air filters, IPD plenum.

Thanks in advance.
Howdy! Happy to help. By the way at any time if you need more guidance, feel free to email or call in as well. info@m-engineering.us, 949.444.2150 or 754.200.1123 (FL Shop).

In regards to ProTuning I like to use this analogy we share in the industry. Standard OTS maps are a lot like buying a suit off-the-shelf at a Men's Store. It's going to look nice, and get the job done at whatever event you're planning on wearing it at.
A ProTune on the other hand is a lot like getting a suit tailored to your specific body size, weight, shape, etc. We can optimize AFR, ignition timing, and your boost curve for a really nice calibration. We generally are able to extract a little more power with a ProTune as well in many cases.

Generally ProTuning is used for cars with advanced upgrade paths like bigger turbos or meth injection. However anyone can benefit from ProTuning.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

-Charles@M
Old 01-09-2023, 02:43 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you to our local client Justin who stopped by our South Florida dyno shop in Pompano Beach for a Stage 1 calibration on his Agate Grey 992 C4S! Gorgeous car and she rips!
With M-Tuner, we are able to add in our special features which we coded and designed, only available by yours truly.

For this car our client selected to choose the elimination of loud cold start, our PSE valve mod (valves now open 100% of the way instead of partial when you select PSE or when you go into Sport/Sport+), and also the defaulted off for Auto Start/Stop.

M-Tuners are in-stock and shipping today!

949.444.2150 or 754.200.1123 (FL Shop) or info@m-engineering.us

-Charles@M
DEALKLR911 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:54 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As a refresher, we have tunes available for all models of Carrera. So no matter if you are a Base, S, or GTS, we have you covered. That includes all 2wd and AWD models and also all trims such as Coupe, Targa, and Cabriolet. You name it we can do it!
Octanes include 91, 93, 100(race gas), and even E85. There is no additional charge for additional octane maps and our features are free of charge as well.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (01-09-2023), DEALKLR911 (01-09-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing