Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 03:57 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
GTS. That was the only run I got -- I didn't want to hurt anything by launching incorrectly since LC was broken. From driving around, I got the impression that consecutive pulls would slow things down a bit (still faster than stock by a wide margin), and that giving it a few minutes between floggings granted the best performance.
I guess an upgraded intercooler is next? I also wonder of the Aerokit helps keeping IAT's a little longer down...just by looking at the difference of the air intake opening for the Aerokit and the standard spoiler.

Originally Posted by SBAD
Shouldn't make a difference because the performance headroom for both engines is the same. The GTS engine only differs from the S by having a different software tune. Turbos are the same size.
Yes, if the new tunes are the same but not sure if the M-Engineering tunes for S and GTS are the same...probably, maybe, but don't know.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:02 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Yes, you get kicked out of gear and power cuts out for a few seconds.

My understanding (and if you look back about a month or so in this thread we discussed it) is that it’s the transmission reading too much torque at certain RPM levels.

I guess the transmission has some set values that it is not supposed to see above, and when it does, it disengages to save itself.

My barbaric understanding of what Mitch and the team are doing is that they are adjusting those values so that the transmission won’t do that. I’m guessing it’s a painstaking process because it may not necessarily all get fixed with one revision. But I’m guessing that they got a lot of insight/practice with my car and I am assuming that that will benefit future consumers like you
Launch control is up and running now, though I didn't try to record any runs yet. Reading back through this thread, this seems to be exactly what I experienced. Both last night and today under real launch control, this happened. No error message on the screen, but the transmission definitely wavered for a few tenths and the car seems not to gain much speed. Seems like some data logging is in order after all.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I guess an upgraded intercooler is next? I also wonder of the Aerokit helps keeping IAT's a little longer down...just by looking at the difference of the air intake opening for the Aerokit and the standard spoiler.
Haven't gotten the aerokit installed yet, that's an interesting question that I could try to compare. I need to find a better place for these extralegal endeavors though lol.

Last edited by zachr; 09-13-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:57 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Tuned yesterday, thanks to Scott and Charles for the maps and some quick answers. First impression: the amount of overhead in this engine is criminal, WOW it's fast. It's much faster with two people in the car now than it was with me alone previously. Plus, with the sport cats and 100% valves open mod on the tune, I'm nearly satisfied with the exhaust. It sounds so much better. Not quite as good as I wish it was, but good enough that I don't feel the need to change the exhaust anymore – for now.

I went out to the sticks last night to get some dragy measurements with the tune, but to my dismay found that launch control was broken after installing the tune! I've emailed and hope to get that resolved, but I wasn't about to let that stop me. First, my previous personal best:

Previous best 0-60 of 3.09 (1ft rollout), which wasn't even a valid run due to the slope. Typical runs were 3.1-3.3 (1ft time) but this is the only screenshot I have saved.

Previous best quarter mile. Rookie mistake, you can see I lifted before the quarter there - might have been ~11.4 if I hadn't lifted.

New best 0-60, without launch control. Matches my previous best.

Again, without launch control. Not too bad. That trap speed implies a 10.8 or so should be possible with LC.

60-130, measured concurrently with the quarter mile. This seems quite slow for stage 2 w/ 100 cell cats, but I hear the best 60-130 times are measured from a roll starting at 40mph so I'll have to remeasure "correctly". Or maybe something is wrong and I should do some datalogging?

60-130 you should be able to get lower 7’s on stage2; I was able to get a 7.1 in colder temps, starting from about 40-45, in Sports+ and sports response button pressed. 2020 C2S pdk, stage2 93octane with catless downpipes and PSE. That was with a hint of tire spin on my crappy pirellis and stock auto spoiler. I have retrofitted the aerokit spoiler now (dunno if it’ll hurt or benefit) and switched to Michelin ps4s tires, so would like to try this again when temps get cooler around 55-60 F.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:02 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Shouldn't make a difference because the performance headroom for both engines is the same. The GTS engine only differs from the S by having a different software tune. Turbos are the same size.
someone from TTE commented that the turbos in the S and GTS arent exactly the same. The compressor wheel in the GTS was larger, which would cause more lag. I don't know the actual validity to this, as he's the first and only person to ever comment on actual differences on the turbo itself.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:50 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mattchow
someone from TTE commented that the turbos in the S and GTS arent exactly the same. The compressor wheel in the GTS was larger, which would cause more lag. I don't know the actual validity to this, as he's the first and only person to ever comment on actual differences on the turbo itself.
P/N is the same.
The following users liked this post:
mattchow (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 09:15 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

He's thinking the Turbo and the Turbo S. The amount of misinformation that is spread by quoting "someone"
The following users liked this post:
mattchow (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 10:35 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

In a nutshell....

992 Carrera Base - smallest size turbo
992 Carrera S - slightly bigger turbo
992 Carrera GTS - same turbo as the S, different software calibration than the S

992 Turbo - smallest turbo size of the "Turbo" model
992 Turbo S - slightly bigger Turbo
992 Turbo / S with PTME1100 - biggest turbo on the block

-Charles@M
The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
DEALKLR911 (09-15-2022), mattchow (09-15-2022), NigelPlays (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 10:46 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M Engineering
In a nutshell....

992 Carrera Base - smallest size turbo
992 Carrera S - slightly bigger turbo
992 Carrera GTS - same turbo as the S, different software calibration than the S

992 Turbo - smallest turbo size of the "Turbo" model
992 Turbo S - slightly bigger Turbo
992 Turbo / S with PTME1100 - biggest turbo on the block

-Charles@M
can I strap a PTME1100 to my base? 😂
Old 09-15-2022, 10:48 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Castle
He's thinking the Turbo and the Turbo S. The amount of misinformation that is spread by quoting "someone"
you'd think someone that works at TTE would know what they were talking about, but oh well.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:44 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Howdy guys and gals,

We just got finished wrapping up a spark plug service on our shop 992 Turbo S (which I documented in our 992 Turbo Thread), but since the service is nearly identical on the Carrera I wanted to share it with y'all here as well for those curious and the DIY geeks like myself.

Here is a look at the spark plug area. Yes, you can do a spark plug service with the turbos in the car, although it's a really tight fit and is much easier with the turbos removed. I would say that the labor overlap for doing spark plugs while the turbos are out only adds about 30 minutes of work and is well worth doing, regardless of miles or age "while you're in there". The 992 engines have a "kink" in the spark plug hole and is very narrow. A swivel joint and thin-walled spark plug socked are required to do the plugs. You won't be able to do this with a standard thickness spark plug socket. The spark plugs that came out of the car are OEM plugs that we had previously gapped down to .022". We will be replacing them with brand new OEM plugs gapped down the same again. The photos show no signs of detonation or abnormal wear. Since we are running methanol, there are some acute areas you can see with a magnifying glass on the seating surface of the plug where there is minor corrosion, but this was to be expected and is not enough to raise concern or jeopardize the integrity of how the plug was performing.

Before we installed spark plugs, we wanted to get a bore scope to check out the tops of the pistons and cylinder walls. The bore scope is essentially a tiny little camera that you insert into the spark plug hole and view on a screen. Again, no abnormalities. Something that was nice to notice was how clean the piston tops are. Since we are spraying methanol on this car, things are staying extra clean and there is no excess of carbon buildup. There is actually still signs of the original part number you can see too.

Before installing the spark plugs, it's vital to set the correct gapping. With our swanky spark-plug gapping tool and feeler gauge, we precisely put all plugs at .022". This tool makes it easy to do, and is much more accurate and safe than trying to gap plugs with the spark plug "coins" that set the gapping.

Reinstalling the plugs and reattaching the coil packs. Each spark plug received a correct dose of spark plug grease as well.

Enjoy, holler with those questions you may have!

-Charles@M
The following 7 users liked this post by M Engineering:
991.1 Guy (09-30-2022), AlterZgo (09-30-2022), HashTag (09-30-2022), SBAD (10-01-2022), TheGooch (10-07-2022), vg247 (12-11-2023), zachr (09-30-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2022, 05:15 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

That is a fantastic 1000th post in this thread. I've been looking on and off for DIY instructions to get to the plugs for a few weeks now. Thanks a bunch, Charles!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:35 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Charles, Could you guys also post a DIY for the turbo removal? I plan on getting pure 800s from you guys once I save up a little and it would be a nice technical resource considering you gentlemen have first hand experience removing and reinstalling them. 😊 Thanks!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:40 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That is a fantastic 1000th post in this thread. I've been looking on and off for DIY instructions to get to the plugs for a few weeks now. Thanks a bunch, Charles!
Holy cow good catch, that is too perfect! Cheers to 1000 posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Charles, Could you guys also post a DIY for the turbo removal? I plan on getting pure 800s from you guys once I save up a little and it would be a nice technical resource considering you gentlemen have first hand experience removing and reinstalling them. 😊 Thanks!
Sure thing, I didn't get a chance to snag pictures when I removed them for the service we are doing, but I can do that for the install, which is essentially just the reverse of the removal. It's pretty easy to remove turbos on these cars. I think we did both turbos off in about 2 hours, including the bumper and removal and all that fun jazz.

-Charles@M
Old 09-30-2022, 05:41 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Sweet, your the man!!!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:44 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You bet, by the way, here is the link to our 992 Turbo thread that is going over our service on this car if you want to see a little bit more and also learn more about what we do. It starts at post #134.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...ashing-10.html

-Charles@M

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing