992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:00 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

Our OTS maps work well with pump E85, and with datalogging we can optimize it further. These ECU's do not have the ability to implement live flex fuel tuning, so running an ethanol content sensor won't have any change to the car and how it is running in regards to ethanol content. That being said, there are some bluetooth ethanol content sensors you could run for fun that go to your phone or an auxiliary gauge if you want to view that information. You can also order some analyzer kits of amazon to test the fuel.

So to answer your question, no I don't recommend an ethanol content sensor unless you want to really geek out on data for your own fun.

-Charles@M

Old 08-16-2022, 07:05 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Brings up another question I had... Anyone know if these cars have an ECU flash counter or anything that obviously signals to Porsche that they have been tuned? I know for warranty repairs if they wanted to they would dig into data logs and see that it was running outside normal parameters when something blew up, but wondering if there's an easy tell that they also look for. If I understand correctly from tuning my 335is, BMW implemented a flash counter late in the e9x lifecycle that made tuning some of those cars a little riskier.
Some reading about EDR:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ders/index.htm

Of course bear in mind that powertrain warranty is voided because the tune is there, not because it caused a failure (Magnussen act is for laughs). Perhaps one has to trust the manufacturer building capabilities more than trusting the tuner.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:59 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wanted to share a cool pic from our South Florida dyno facility in Pompano Beach of a gorgeous Shark Blue Carrera that came in for a free map update to eliminate loud cold start. This is a mutual customer of ours with Above and Beyond Performance. As you all may already know, any feature requests or map updates are free of charge and at no-cost, unlike some of the other tuning solutions for 992. You can also perform the map updates yourself in the comfort of your own garage. No need to schedule and pay a dealer to do this (unless you like saying hello). Just shoot us an email to info@m-engineering.us and we can get you dialed in.

-Charles@M

Last edited by M Engineering; 08-18-2022 at 11:01 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by M Engineering:
4 Rings (08-18-2022), AlterZgo (08-18-2022), dixonk (08-18-2022), TheGooch (08-19-2022), Tobeit (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Charles, quick question for you, how accurate is the fuel gauge in 992?
I am trying run down the fuel as much as i can before i fuel up with E85, right now the fuel gauge said 9miles left, would that be low enough?
Old 08-18-2022, 02:09 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ah10
Hi Charles, quick question for you, how accurate is the fuel gauge in 992?
I am trying run down the fuel as much as i can before i fuel up with E85, right now the fuel gauge said 9miles left, would that be low enough?
Yeah that should be sufficiently low. The 992 fuel gauges operate with a float for the top 3/4 of the tank or so. When you get to the bottom 1/4 tank, it's all calculated in regards to quantity and miles left you can drive. The reason for this is that when the tank is so low, a float would be inaccurate as you have sloshing from accelerating and from taking turns.

-Charles@M
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 02:46 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Yeah that should be sufficiently low. The 992 fuel gauges operate with a float for the top 3/4 of the tank or so. When you get to the bottom 1/4 tank, it's all calculated in regards to quantity and miles left you can drive. The reason for this is that when the tank is so low, a float would be inaccurate as you have sloshing from accelerating and from taking turns.

-Charles@M
AWEsome!

Thanks Charles!
Old 08-18-2022, 04:06 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

E85, that's good times. Didn't do that flash when I had my 992, but I rode recently in a turbocharged Audi R8 running E85 that makes 1400 hp! Interestingly, the guy (Brandon from B Rogue built in the Chicago area) told me he got his tune from none other than the folks at M Engineering.

I have never accelerated that fast in my life. I happen to have an iron stomach, but Brandon told me that some people feel sick and puke on those pulls. E85 is serious stuff
Old 08-18-2022, 04:10 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
E85, that's good times. Didn't do that flash when I had my 992, but I rode recently in a turbocharged Audi R8 running E85 that makes 1400 hp! Interestingly, the guy (Brandon from B Rogue built in the Chicago area) told me he got his tune from none other than the folks at M Engineering.

I have never accelerated that fast in my life. I happen to have an iron stomach, but Brandon told me that some people feel sick and puke on those pulls. E85 is serious stuff
I have E85 right by my house. Always thought about switching to that from the 91 non ethanol I am using now.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:22 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tupper

No way! So cool, yes we ran that car a few months ago on the stock ECU with a DS1 (Dyno Spectrum is our sister company) on our Pompano Beach dyno. Flex Fuel is really fantastic on those cars, closed loop boost control was also added. To a car that came factory as an NA v10!
Brandon and the team build really cool cars, nice folks.

Originally Posted by dixonk
I have E85 right by my house. Always thought about switching to that from the 91 non ethanol I am using now.
Do it! Ethanol is fun stuff. It makes the same or more power than race gas does.

BTW, for those folks running pump 91 or 93, YES, get the 10% ethanol. Don't get ethanol free.
Ethanol adds effective octane and is beneficial. The reason "non-ethanol" gas is still relevant is for much older cars or engines with carbs or fuel lines that don't support any ethanol content.
With 10% ethanol it is enough to help against some knock that you might otherwise be getting if you didn't have it.

Corn juice good!

-Charles@M

The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Ah10 (08-18-2022), Tupper (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 04:35 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

^ Yeah, it's a small world. His shop is pretty nice, Huracans and R8s left and right being taken apart. Anyhow, sorry for the digression..
Old 08-18-2022, 04:58 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 774 Posts

No way! So cool, yes we ran that car a few months ago on the stock ECU with a DS1 (Dyno Spectrum is our sister company) on our Pompano Beach dyno. Flex Fuel is really fantastic on those cars, closed loop boost control was also added. To a car that came factory as an NA v10!
Brandon and the team build really cool cars, nice folks.

Do it! Ethanol is fun stuff. It makes the same or more power than race gas does.

BTW, for those folks running pump 91 or 93, YES, get the 10% ethanol. Don't get ethanol free.
Ethanol adds effective octane and is beneficial. The reason "non-ethanol" gas is still relevant is for much older cars or engines with carbs or fuel lines that don't support any ethanol content.
With 10% ethanol it is enough to help against some knock that you might otherwise be getting if you didn't have it.

Corn juice good!

-Charles@M
I just sent you guys a request for e85. Why not.. as for 91 for some reason you can’t get 91 with ethanol anywhere around here. Only 87 can be had with ethanol. But e85 is everywhere in the metro. Traveling would be tricky.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:10 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome, Scott or Mitch will work on getting you a map! Thanks for emailing us over.
Depending on your region, you may not have 10% ethanol gas. It's hit or miss depending on where you live. So that may be the case for you.

-Charles@M
dixonk (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 05:41 PM
HashTag
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Corn juice good!

-Charles@M
So would you recommend Costco 93 (10% Ethanol) over Shell Nitro+ (93, but Ethanol free)?
Old 08-18-2022, 05:59 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Originally Posted by HashTag
So would you recommend Costco 93 (10% Ethanol) over Shell Nitro+ (93, but Ethanol free)?
from Charles

Corn juice good!

-Charles@M
dixonk (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 06:06 PM
HashTag
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

You're missing my point. I was asking if he would recommend a 'lower quality' gas with Ethanol over the arguably best gas without. In the end both are 93.

Originally Posted by Ah10
from Charles

Corn juice good!

-Charles@M

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing