Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 12:52 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
With upgraded link pipes you'll find quicker spooling as there is a bigger difference in back pressure resistance than just opening and closing valves.

-Charles@M
What do you mean by "link" pipes? My understanding is there are three components to consider: headers, cat pipes, and final muffler/exhaust. If I only did one, which gives the most performance for the buck?
Old 07-01-2022, 02:32 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Z911
I have a 2020 C4S with a tune from another vendor (a reputable one too) and I’ve been driving the car for 6 month. …..

Yes I ran 0-60 times (in a private parking lot) and before the M Tune the best I can hit was 3.6-3.7. The time is measure using an OBD reader and an app that connects to the reader. I know it’s not the gospel around here…..
I found the OBD reader and I ran 0-60 times in the same spot as before. Mind you it was a hot day, close to 100 temp and I had been driving the car for over an hour. I used launch control in sports mode (without pushing the boost button) it was FLAT 3 seconds without 1ft roll out
The following users liked this post:
SamD (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
What do you mean by "link" pipes? My understanding is there are three components to consider: headers, cat pipes, and final muffler/exhaust. If I only did one, which gives the most performance for the buck?
For whatever reason secondary cat pipes in a Porsche are called link pipes. That threw me off for weeks. But then again I’m kind of slow as most of you have probably surmised by now.
SBAD (07-01-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts
Default My 2 Cents

After a few weeks of driving a car with the tune I thought I would post pros and cons from my perspective.

I have a 2020 C4S, AKRA exhaust and was previously tuned by another vendor. I purchased the stage 2 93 octane tune from M engineering. I’ve also asked them for full open exhaust, disable auto start stop, and disable cold start.

Full open exhaust:
Pros: the car sounds amazing at low RPMs. At high RPMs there is no drone noticeable and the car sounds like there’s a lion roaring in the backseat.
Cons: I am sure the turbo spool is affected somehow. However I can’t really tell because the tune really takes the car to the next level.
Verdict: I am keeping this feature.

Disable auto start stop:
Pros: a car is safer to drive at low speed approaching the driveway or a stop sign. No more annoying starts at red lights.
Cons: I’m sure the gas consumption is bit higher, and at this gas prices I’m probably spending an additional 10 bucks per fill up.
Verdict: this is the main reason I purchase this tune, so I’m keeping this feature.

Disable cold start:
Pros: I am no longer embarrassed to start the car in the underground garage at work. And I also don’t have to wake everyone else up at the house when I start the car in the garage.
Cons: I’m sure some polar bear is cussing me out right now because I’m not giving the catalytic converters enough time to warm up. The car also takes longer to warm up now.
Verdict: I think for the summertime I’m keeping this feature I’m going to see what happens in the winter.

Stage 2 tune:
pros: this tune transformed the car, it is now very responsive and I feel more confident on the highway especially around those big trucks. Knowing that I can “safely” outrun AMGs and Ms helps me get over the price tag of the 911.
Cons: I really have to watch my right foot as the car can climb in speed in such a short period of time.
Verdict: I originally was not going to install the tune, I kept it for a month before actually flashing the car. But now that I’ve driven the car with this tune, I don’t think I can drive without it. So this one is a keeper too.

I have to say that customer service at M engineering is second to none. They answer emails, send different versions of the files based on my requests in a very short period of time, and they accommodate questions in a very inviting way.

No I’m not getting anything for this reviews. I just wanted to share the love with the fellow gear heads.

Last edited by Z911; 07-08-2022 at 12:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Z911:
AlterZgo (07-08-2022), Galvano (05-15-2024), Guzzgreg (07-28-2022), Patton250 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 05:45 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Z911
After a few weeks of driving a car with the tune I thought I would post pros and cons from my perspective.

I have a 2020 C4S, AKRA exhaust and was previously tuned by another vendor. I purchased the stage 2 93 octane tune from M engineering. I’ve also asked them for full open exhaust, disable auto start stop, and disable cold start.

Full open exhaust:
Pros: the car sounds amazing at low RPMs. At high RPMs there is no drone noticeable and the car sounds like there’s a lion roaring in the backseat.
Cons: I am sure the turbo spool is affected somehow. However I can’t really tell because the tune really takes the car to the next level.
Verdict: I am keeping this feature.

Disable auto start stop:
Pros: a car is safer to drive at low speed approaching the driveway or a stop sign. No more annoying starts at red lights.
Cons: I’m sure the gas consumption is bit higher, and at this gas prices I’m probably spending an additional 10 bucks per fill up.
Verdict: this is the main reason I purchase this tune, so I’m keeping this feature.

Disable cold start:
Pros: I am no longer embarrassed to start the car in the underground garage at work. And I also don’t have to wake everyone else up at the house when I start the car in the garage.
Cons: I’m sure some polar bear is cussing me out right now because I’m not giving a catalytic converter is enough time to warm up. The car also takes longer to warm up now.
Verdict: I think for the summertime I’m keeping this feature I’m going to see what happens in the winter.

Stage 2 tune:
pros: this tune transformed the car, it is now very responsive and I feel more confident on the highway especially around those big trucks. Knowing that I can “safely” outrun AMGs and Ms help me get over the price tag of the 911.
Cons: I really have to watch my right foot as the car can climb in speed in such a short period of time.
Verdict: I originally was not going to install the tune, I kept it for a month before actually flashing the car. But now that I’ve driven the car with this tune, I don’t think I can drive without it. So this one is a keeper too.

I have to say that customer service at M engineering is second to none. They answer emails, send different versions of the files based on my requests in a very short period of time, and they accommodate questions in a very inviting way.

No I’m not getting anything for this reviews. I just wanted to share the love with the fellow gear heads.
Excellent review. I’m glad that you love it. M Engineering definitely has the best customer service I’ve experienced in the Porsche world so far. I love those guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
Guzzgreg (07-28-2022), Z911 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 08:49 AM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My biggest complaint with the M-Tune is when I take it back to stock…the car feels sooo slow and I know it isn’t. Couldn’t wait to put the tune back in. Thanks Charles for your patience…
Z911 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:44 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

On my final drive of my car (before selling it) I reflashed to stock, and it had been the first time I had ever driving it stock for many months and:

1. I heard my very first cold start ever with my Soul valveless exhaust with sport cats. I initially flashed the M Engineering tune and opted for cold start delete, and I did this all before installing my exhaust. So with the tune removed, this was my first cold start!

Well, I was so worried about the cold start that I left my neighborhood and went to a backroad near a field with my dongle. I removed my tune there. I then proceeded to start my car. HOLY CRAP, the cold start was so loud that people in a field about 500 ft away all turned and stared at me.

2. The speed. The car is still fast at stock but wow, I could feel the loss of oomph instantly. My car got a lot of kick with M’s tune, that’s for sure. I especially miss the feeling of that extra pull over 5500 RPM or so.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tupper:
AlterZgo (07-09-2022), Patton250 (07-08-2022), vic55 (07-09-2022), Z911 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:46 PM
Revans134
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Charles Siritho at Function Factory Racing in scottsdale just installed my M stage 1 tune on my Carrera S at 110 deg day it resulted in 120 tq increase over stock on 93 and 100 lb ft increase on 91 Octane. We Dyno’Ed wheel hp on 91 on 110 degree day and got 60 hp gain at the wheel on my 2022 Carerra S. Cant enough about the difference
The following 3 users liked this post by Revans134:
AlterZgo (07-09-2022), Guzzgreg (07-28-2022), mattchow (07-09-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:34 AM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts

I went to stage 2 a few days ago. Installed Kline 200 cell cats and Kline valved exhaust.

The factory PSE sometimes sounded ok, but it was far too quiet. Now it sounds just intoxicating! Completely transformed the fun factor with the car, going slow is even way more fun now. This had been the only disappointment with the 992. Now the car feels special.

WOT pulls harder and is faster all the way to redline. Seems to spool quicker with stronger midrange too. Finally have the giggles now when driving it.

Even in 100 degree weather it was pulling hard.

Has me wondering what more headers and intercoolers will do, but I’m thrilled for now!

Attached Images  
AlterZgo (07-19-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 07:01 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Just installed my stage 1 91 tune and took the car out. Even with temps at 102° and this thing rips! The acceleration and throttle response is much improved with this tune. I felt the difference in the way the car feels just driving out the neighborhood. I have PS4Ss and they are struggling to keep up with the power. Launch control saw a bit of wheel spin but when it grabbed it just left. The sport exhaust full open is just what this car needed. I am officially calling off my search for an aftermarket exhaust as this is perfect for me now with the valves open. The exhaust mod alone makes this tuner well worth it.

As for dealing with M-Engineering I had the tuner overnighted and it arrived right on time. I bought a Surface Go 2 to use with this and keep it in the car. I sent the ECU info to them and in an hour I had a tune file ready to load. Took all of 5 min to flash the car and be on the road. I cleared out all the faults and only had ACC and WBA fault remaining but should go away after awhile.

5 stars for M-Engineering. Now time to get out there and keep Michelin in business.
The following 3 users liked this post by dixonk:
911Gr8tness (07-28-2022), Ah10 (07-28-2022), AlterZgo (07-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 02:10 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Anyone tuned and have before/after dyno results on a GTS yet? I suppose the after curve would look exactly like an tuned Carrera (4)S? The car is stupid fast 0-60, but 60-130 feels like my tuned C63 might have taken it (I never got numbers for that car :/). Eventually I'll probably cave to the itch and get the GTS tuned. I've also seen people complain with other cars/tuners that the car's drivability is dramatically different - different torque curve, throttle response etc. Can anyone speak to that on the 911?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:53 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Anyone tuned and have before/after dyno results on a GTS yet? I suppose the after curve would look exactly like an tuned Carrera (4)S? The car is stupid fast 0-60, but 60-130 feels like my tuned C63 might have taken it (I never got numbers for that car :/). Eventually I'll probably cave to the itch and get the GTS tuned. I've also seen people complain with other cars/tuners that the car's drivability is dramatically different - different torque curve, throttle response etc. Can anyone speak to that on the 911?
the stock C2S/4S is on the relatively slower end for 60-130; about 9.3s for a lower weight S. When tuning my pdk C2S to stage 1 and later stage2, I’ve gotten numbers of 7.4 and 7.1, respectively, which at those times is straight up in the middle of stock supercar territory. So expect GTS numbers to be close to these.

A stock C63(S?) will be faster than a stock 992S for the 60-130.

The tune on the 992 platform is incredibly smooth and feels exactly like oem, just moar power.

Last edited by reddsektor; 07-29-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:00 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
the stock C2S/4S is on the relatively slower end for 60-130; about 9.3s for a lower weight S. When tuning my pdk C2S to stage 1 and later stage2, I’ve gotten numbers of 7.4 and 7.1, respectively, which at those times is straight up in the middle of stock supercar territory. So expect GTS numbers to be close to these.

The tune on the 992 platform is incredibly smooth and feels exactly like oem, just moar power.
To chime in: my stage 2 tuned C63s was not as fast in either 0-60 or 60-130 (despite much more whp)...but that was simply because I could not get the power to the street. Was even spinning when hitting throttle at 80mph and had to watch not to land in the ditch. That difference, aka how the 992 can bring the power to street and just pull the car is just really impressive and what made me switch. Less power but less weight and much better transfer of power make all the difference.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:01 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor

WOW that's a hell of an improvement, almost 2 seconds! I'm planning on a Kline exhaust soon but probably won't change the cats unless I'm still unhappy with that, so the stage 1 numbers are most interesting for me. I vaguely remember people going from mid 9s to mid/low 8s on the forums for the C63.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
To chime in: my stage 2 tuned C63s was not as fast in either 0-60 or 60-130 (despite much more whp)...but that was simply because I could not get the power to the street. Was even spinning when hitting throttle at 80mph and had to watch not to land in the ditch. That difference, aka how the 992 can bring the power to street and just pull the car is just really impressive and what made me switch. Less power but less weight and much better transfer of power make all the difference.
Yeah, I never managed a 0-60 below 4 seconds on the C63 -- never took it to the strip and there aren't any straight, flat roads near enough that could handle all the power. With all the weight on the nose and "only" 295s on the back, I didn't have a prayer of putting the power down. It was fantastic to step on at highway speeds though.

Glad to hear it's a smooth change. I dug through the thread and found a dyno curve, it does look like the M Engineering tune is quite similar to the stock curve - a flat addition across most of the power band. That's nice to know. Gets more and more tempting the more I read about it, but the car is certainly stupid fast already.

Last edited by zachr; 07-29-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:03 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
WOW that's a hell of an improvement, almost 2 seconds! I'm planning on a Kline exhaust soon but probably won't change the cats unless I'm still unhappy with that, so the stage 1 numbers are most interesting for me. I vaguely remember people going from mid 9s to mid/low 8s on the forums for the C63.

Glad to hear it's a smooth change. I dug through the thread and found a dyno curve, it does look like the M Engineering tune is quite similar to the stock curve - a flat addition across most of the power band. That's nice to know. Gets more and more tempting the more I read about it, but the car is certainly stupid fast already.
PM me and I'll get you 5% off M-Tuner
I can ship these right away, always in-stock.

-Charles@M
zachr (07-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing