Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
MT, I understand Porsche, at the factory, tests all 911 motors prior to installing. Do you have any recommendations or evidence regarding how many miles or heat cycles should ideally be placed onto a new engine prior to tuning for optimization, efficiency, and longevity of the components? Thanks.
I usually tune my cars right after delivery. I am planning on tuning my 992TTS when it arrives in November.

This time I’m waiting until break in is over. Not that I think I’ll damage anything with the tune, but I’d like to know that if any problems arise within the first couple of thousand miles they are addressed beforehand.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (09-15-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:27 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 86 Posts

I ordered the M Engineering stage one suite for our C2S.

I had a few questions on the flashing process but they were answered by email nearly immediately by the M Engineering technical folks.

After a week of driving (probably 300 miles or so) got a CEL but no dash indications related to the CEL.

I reached out to M Engineering by email and they responded within an hour or so and asked for a fault report, the software showed no faults but at the same time the CEL went off for a couple of days.

When it came back on middle of this week they were virtually immediate with their response and with an updated file to flash. Post flash, I did about a 200 mile drive and no CEL.

The performance of the car seems on par with the claimed torque and HP gains (mine is set up for the locally available 91 octane).

Overall, I could not be happier with their response and with the percieved performance improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by svkarl:
Carlo_Carrera (09-18-2021), Tupper (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:50 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Got this done on my 2020 C2S pdk. Only mods are drop in filters so far. The flash went smoothly and took about 5 mins, no issues. Driven about 50 miles so far, 93 RON. Feels like oem in normal driving. Definitely a difference when you step on it, it pulls like crazy now. From lower speeds you definitely get a little tire spin so have to pay attention to the wheel but nothing really out of control. It scares me now on the high end, but still feels civil when needed. Love it, absolutely worth it. I’ll probably install cats soon for better sound and slight bump in power and re-tune with stage2.

Last edited by reddsektor; 09-18-2021 at 11:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by reddsektor:
AlterZgo (09-18-2021), RRich (09-19-2021), tez2013 (09-19-2021), Tupper (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
Got this done on my 2020 C2S pdk. Only mods are drop in filters so far. The flash went smoothly and took about 5 mins, no issues. Driven about 50 miles so far, 93 RON. Feels like oem in normal driving. Definitely a difference when you step on it, it pulls like crazy now. From lower speeds you definitely get a little tire spin so have to pay attention to the wheel but nothing really out of control. It scares me now on the high end, but still feels civil when needed. Love it, absolutely worth it. I’ll probably install cats soon for better sound and slight bump in power and re-tune with stage2.
Stage 1 supposedly makes 600 hp

Did it feel like that?

If Stage 1 is 600 hp, then is Stage 2 just “here, you now own a GT2 RS” ?
Old 09-19-2021, 01:39 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Originally Posted by Tupper

Did it feel like that?

I was expecting 600 and it definitely felt like it.

Stage2 isn’t that significant, with catless downpipes it’s about 20-25 hp more.
Tupper (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:59 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

I was expecting 600 and it definitely felt like it.

Stage2 isn’t that significant, with catless downpipes it’s about 20-25 hp more.
I would love to see someone run a 0-60 and quarter mile times. Or even a 60-120 time so we can calculate the whp rather than guessing by "it feel faster".
Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I would love to see someone run a 0-60 and quarter mile times. Or even a 60-120 time so we can calculate the whp rather than guessing by "it feel faster".
You don't accept the dyno charts??
Old 09-19-2021, 06:48 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eagle1960
You don't accept the dyno charts??
Absolutely not ! A claim of 600 whp can be proven with a 1/4 trap of 131 mph

Last edited by 991.1 Guy; 09-19-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:11 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Absolutely not ! A claim of 600 whp can be proven with a 1/4 trap of 131 mph
I already posted some timing numbers from a guy who did the same tune a few months ago. Other than the 1/4 mile run (which I know you’re looking for that true trap) where he let the foot off a little at the end, those numbers are solid

Last edited by reddsektor; 09-20-2021 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:33 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

I already posted some timing numbers from a guy who did the same tune a few months ago. Other than the 1/4 mile run (which I know you’re looking for that true trap) where he let the foot off a little at the end, those numbers are solid
yes they seem to be solid. It will be great to see some runs where somebody doesn’t let their foot of the gas and several runs back to back.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:04 AM
CarraraCarrera
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes they seem to be solid. It will be great to see some runs where somebody doesn’t let their foot of the gas and several runs back to back.
Lack of objective outputs is why I've never been able to pull the trigger on a tune. Input data is everywhere...HP increase, boost increase, timing increase etc. But objective output data is hard to come by. What does that 600hp do? Turn the 911 into a Hellcat burnout machine, 0-60 becomes traction limited and no improvement? 1/4 mile, 1/2? Even a subjective independent review of daily driving would help. If I ever tuned (big if) I would surely start with the racechip since it has a 30 day money back guarantee no questions asked. I can figure the outputs for myself and if not worth it, send it packing. I understand there are a lot of variables that impact the output data, (weather, engine temp etc.) but if runs were performed back to back and under similar conditions the outputs would be directionally correct and highly correlated to the changes made by the tune. It is something I think all tuners should do.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,592 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by svkarl
I ordered the M Engineering stage one suite for our C2S.

I had a few questions on the flashing process but they were answered by email nearly immediately by the M Engineering technical folks.

After a week of driving (probably 300 miles or so) got a CEL but no dash indications related to the CEL.

I reached out to M Engineering by email and they responded within an hour or so and asked for a fault report, the software showed no faults but at the same time the CEL went off for a couple of days.

When it came back on middle of this week they were virtually immediate with their response and with an updated file to flash. Post flash, I did about a 200 mile drive and no CEL.

The performance of the car seems on par with the claimed torque and HP gains (mine is set up for the locally available 91 octane).

Overall, I could not be happier with their response and with the percieved performance improvement.
Originally Posted by Tupper

Did it feel like that?

Thank y'all for posting feedback! Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the calibrations and flash process. These cars are really fun out of the box, but certainly become new animals with the M-Tuner suite.

For those needing a quick reference to the power figures, below are Stage 1 and Stage 2 in 93 octane on the base model Carrera. Going Stage 2 is a good size leap in power and torque you can definitely feel
Here's also a link to our map notes: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...ibration+Notes

-Charles@M
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Septic911
7th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems awesome and after reading up, I realize I could and would never be able to remove the ECU to ship it out.

I really would love a tune on the car, but I would prefer to have less gains. I want some modest gains. These seem to be top end, extreme gains.

This car is my daily driver and I love putting some throttle down to enter a highway. In my mind I would want a tune that increases drivability and power gains throughout. Maybe a pipedream

Cheers
Old 09-20-2021, 01:35 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Septic911
This seems awesome and after reading up, I realize I could and would never be able to remove the ECU to ship it out.

I really would love a tune on the car, but I would prefer to have less gains. I want some modest gains. These seem to be top end, extreme gains.

This car is my daily driver and I love putting some throttle down to enter a highway. In my mind I would want a tune that increases drivability and power gains throughout. Maybe a pipedream

Cheers
If you look at the dyno charts, these tunes do exactly that. There is a very sizable bump in torque as early as 2800 RPM for the S model and then it makes more power and torque throughout the rev range. For the base Carrera, it makes substantially more power/torque at all RPM ranges. These power curves are not peaky by any means but makes power at virtually all revs. The way these power curves are when you hit the throttle as you enter the highway, you will get a massive improvement in acceleration as the car would downshift and hit a giant wall of torque. Trust me. 450+ lb/ft of torque at 3000 RPM will not feel peaky in the least.
Galvano (05-07-2024)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:37 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Septic911

Cheers
Looking at the Dyno graph, the gains seem to be across the board not just at the higher RPM levels. It should suit your needs I would think

oops AlterZgo beat me to it!

Last edited by 991.1 Guy; 09-20-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing