Sponsored by:

992 GTS Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 06:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

The LWBs just make the car look so damn sexy.
The following users liked this post:
fractionofawhole (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 06:37 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Advice needed: I have a 997 Turbo and would like to upgrade. I am considering ordering a 992 GTS. I have never ordered a new Porsche, so I have a lot to learn. I spoke to my local dealer today and I can "order" one for a $2500 deposit and could expect to take delivery in 9-12 months. I am wondering if this officially gets me on the list, or if it is just a ploy to string me along...how does this really work? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Advice needed: I have a 997 Turbo and would like to upgrade. I am considering ordering a 992 GTS. I have never ordered a new Porsche, so I have a lot to learn. I spoke to my local dealer today and I can "order" one for a $2500 deposit and could expect to take delivery in 9-12 months. I am wondering if this officially gets me on the list, or if it is just a ploy to string me along...how does this really work? Thanks for any help.
I don’t think anything is official until you’re assigned a commission number.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:43 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty-B
Just watched Nick Murray’s video on YouTube on the 992 GTS - he’s not impressed!
I must admit I’m swaying back to the C2s and spec it up!
Originally Posted by JRW1
If you don't like the visual differences of the GTS, sure, I get it, but beyond that no one has seat time in a GTS to do an actual review with the upgraded suspension, brakes, and power. Nick even opens his video saying how he didn't like the Panamera GTS...until he later got the chance to drive one and experience the performance/mechanical differences, at which point he then loved it. That self-defeating statement is the exact moment you can stop the video and go back to whatever it is you were previously doing.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The LWBs just make the car look so damn sexy.
100% agree. They look amazing and it's obviously a huge (and decently rare) differentiator between other Carrera configurations.

Last edited by fractionofawhole; 06-25-2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added response to ipse dixit
The following 2 users liked this post by fractionofawhole:
Dave GT4 (07-08-2021), Lander911 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 09:17 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
You said it; "it is just a ploy to string (you) along."
gbakerge (06-25-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by kidniki
It's either Porsche Littleton or Colorado Springs...there aren't that many and the other two that I can think of, I've never heard of them doing that. Porsche Littleton had a 991.2 GT3 a few years back that I was interested in and it had a mark up on it... but, those cars usually do. I mean, thats insane but if some crazy rich person is willing to pay for that. Also, I heard that Porsche Corporate is doing something different with the GT cars, not "The List" and I was told that they were still waiting for more info but I also know a few people have already been able to order a GT3.
Prestige
Old 06-26-2021, 06:05 AM
Matty-B
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the centre lock wheels such a pain as some are suggesting?
Old 06-26-2021, 06:39 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGTS

DAMN PORSCHE.. these Marketing guys are Genius. Can't break the code. Also, did you see the option for the rear lights side markers... with no pics.
I am not sure but could the new option, "illuminated lateral gills", just mean this "fancy" illumination effect that can be seen on this screencap that I took from the promo video..? The two short horizontal lines in the corner lights. I noticed that there was something different the first time I watched it. I have not noticed any other Porsche rear lights do that (I have myself the "tinted" Exclusive Design lights and used to have the regular red ones).. I may be just blind though...

Old 06-26-2021, 08:04 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Just watched Nick Murray’s video on YouTube on the 992 GTS - he’s not impressed!
I'm an owner of a 991.1 GTS. I had a C2S on order when the 991 was introduced and immediately switched to the GTS. I love the car. It was a great parts-bin value and there's nothing wrong with that. But I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 992 GTS. It's the same parts-bin value formula (although not as good a value as the 991 imo) but I was somehow expecting something more this time around after the Panny, Cayenne and especially 718 GTSes. Instead, we got the same-old same-old. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but nothing great about it either. As Nick said . . . a missed opportunity.
Dave GT4 (07-08-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Are the centre lock wheels such a pain as some are suggesting?
Only if you want to remove them. Then you need specialized tools and knowledge. I have them. I love the looks. I'd NEVER attempt to remove them myself.
Dave GT4 (07-08-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:10 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
I am not sure but could the new option, "illuminated lateral gills", just mean this "fancy" illumination effect that can be seen on this screencap that I took from the promo video..? The two short horizontal lines in the corner lights.
I don't think that's it. I think that what's illuminated are the three angled vertical lines on the outer edge of the light modules.
Dave GT4 (07-08-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 09:53 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
It is hard to argue that the GTS is not a good deal (excluding ADM). Playing with the configurator, it saves several thousands of dollars plus gives you things you can't get on the S like more power, short shifter and better brakes and suspension.
Only for a bare bones GTS car....optioned out in comparision with most wanted/desired options it seems like most are getting price deltas in the $8-12k+ range! So the savings comment is interesting as many have not seen it. Less price delta depending on how one values things but the GTS seems to be more for less differences between the S as the gap between the two cars has been narrowed significantly due to certain things the 992 just brings to the table that the 991 cars did not.
Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Sorry, I don’t deal with ADM nonsense. If Porsche dealer doesn’t want to sell me a GT3 at MSRP, that’s fine. I refuse to pay over sticker. I don’t NEED the car.
Right attitude but not what most dealers will count on for these GTS sales and will see as customer's validate that hypothesis that wants over rule needs and common sense and comparisons. I once had a SA try to tell me I need to get a Turbo next...no didn't need to get one my C2S was just fine and lucky for me didn't WANT one given the opportunity cost comparisons! LOL
Originally Posted by Zanotti
I sat in front of a rather smug salesman today, basically begging him to sell me a car. GT3 has 100+ waitlist, GTS had 25+ waitlist. Its a crazy world out there!

I would buy both, if I could get the allocations in the right order!
Thus the issue and rub...how to get one at a reasonable price point and time frame and also does it make sense optioned out given what the difference between car models are? For some it will others not some much.
Yeah, I am currently 21st in line for a GT3 (not a Touring) and 7 for a GTS....as far as I know my dealership does not add ADM. I bet that Denver Dealership is....Porsche Littleton. I'd be shocked it it was my dealership!!
You're lucky no ADM...most across the US seem to already be seeing that for select 992 models (Targa Heritage most common I hear) and definitely for GT3's, Turbos (also) and now the GTS too!
Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
Priced up my C4S as a GTS…. Paid £118k for my car in January, GTS of the same spec would be £130k….. for an extra bit of bhp I will never be able to use.

It’ll still fly off the shelf though…
Yep which was the Porsche plan all along...some things sell more on word or mouth and prev reputation than what's actually in the box!
Originally Posted by smiles11
Just did the comparison on my C2S build. If I spec it exactly the same, my sticker would go from $152k to $162k. However, I received $9k off MSRP & a GTS in this market will most certainly have ADM. Especially here in California.

So I’d be looking at $170k+ for a GTS when my OTD price before tax was $143k on my S. I wouldn’t want centerlocks or the clear taillights. I’d try to get rid of all the alcantara in the GTS except the roof liner. The GTS still uses the same PCCB’s as the S. So I wouldn’t gain much & I would be near a $30k delta.
Good analysis...mine when I priced it was about $12k more than my 992S but likely ADM makes it a stupid proposition if offered an allocation. Why give pay $17-27k more for a GTS when I wouldn't want a good portion of the stuff (alcantara all over, wheels, etc) and shorter shifter is really only interest point as the HP is nice but not needed daily likely. So agree with your assessment.
In general I’m glad I’m not in the market.
Bingo brother...me too. From the stories on here, to convos with friends and fellow owners and even the occasional discussion with my SA; things have gotten bananas...sort of like the current housing market and a few others where folks are paying significant amounts of $$ for things that they cannot explain why its justified other than that is the cost and without it they would be without. Not value or anything else just grossly inflated prices. Lumber perfect example was up what 400% yet it was STILL the same product used prior to COVID19 to build your house or garage or whatever just became a coveted item and market began charging insane prices for it and then limits on builders and everyone else appeared along with price increases passed along. Deep down...it was the same lumber from the same tree guys...nothing made it more special or longer lasting...just cost a hellava lot more and folks were willing to pay for it at those prices. Buddy of mine is building a house in Austin and was so glad prices were dropping back into normal levels as he'd asked many times his builder/contractor why the cost of his house (aka lumber) was up like almost 40% and outside of the lack of supply (not much) and the increased market price he said they guy couldn't...just said that is what it was! SMDH. GTS and ADM=same! LOL
Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I think the only thing the GTS, and GT3 (along w/ Touring) do is ease the allocation strain on buyers of the other models, Targas not withstanding. Might be easier to find an allocation for a C2S right now as buyers shift to the new variants.
Or reverse still harder as allocation issue is NOT the number of models but more due to supply side issues as well as COVID19 related manpower and operations problems affecting global demand. With COVID19 Delta variant now increasing in many place and few other transportation related issues I think it will be early-mid 2022 until we see easing of this and by that time I think the US alone is predicting a six figure shortage of production of cars over previous years. That combo I think will make it harder to get at GTS allocation along with significant (and I'd say inflated ADMs) and likely continued difficulty with other models.
Originally Posted by michaeldorian
With GT3 allocations now being basically next to impossible, a mini-GT3 touring in GTS form is looking mighty fine.

Questions for the experts here. Is the manual 7-speed transmission the same transmission that's been offered in the 992 Gen for a little while now with just shorter throws? This is the ZF source transmission that is adapted from the PDK gearbox?
Very likely drop in I think if Porsche follows form from past.
Originally Posted by brianja
Hopefully owners will be able to source the shorter shifter from the GTS for install into the C2/4S too like 991 owners can do with the GT4 shifter.
Watching closely to do the same.
Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Agreed! If I can find out the part number, I'll order that along with the matte black front lip.
Yep that is my plan...did the same for my 2014 Cayman S manual...dropped in a Cayman GT4 one and it was like magic!
Originally Posted by dmk2
You have found Porsche Nirvana
LOL
I seriously think the only reason to get the GTS is for the additional power, upgraded breaks and if you like the Porsche styling of their GTS cars, which I do. However, I bet most people would find the base has more than enough capability, its much better than the 991.2 base. Otherwise, you are better off with the S 4S, the car is seriously fast/quick/whatever and I cant imagine what the extra HP on the GTS will be like. And, I have driven a 991.2 GTS manual a bit, so I know what that was like (like a 992 S)
True...at this point I seriously think for daily driving on US roads for the most part ANY 992 will exceed most driver's experience and talent if pushed and far surpass most of their neighboring drivers cars and talent they share the roads with. So at this point with regards to the performance discussion anytime I hear "its so much more HP" argument as a reason to get the 992 GTS or Turbo/Turbo S or even the 992 my question to the driver is "where will they be using all that power? Why? How? Cause the car is plenty quick as a base model that I test drove...only reason honestly to bump up to the 992S like I did was the manual! Porsche wouldn't let me have the base in a stick but the price delta for a similarly options base was still about $8-10k which IS a lot of money for the most part. No trust funds here! LOL. I've seen some 992S optioned past $170k and wondered WTF..its a Sports car not a Panamera but to each his own and again that is Porsche's AG's marketing genius as some will pay more than they should for options they NEVER use cause others say they should or for resale/residual value...incorrectly and erroneously. Dealers will win also in this market as most will get ADMs for these GTS's and somewhere will find a "buyer" willing to fork over cash for value whether real or perceived IMHO.
Originally Posted by Kbho
Nice build.

Just wondering why the switch from a cab to a targa?
Here is my $156k Build

Looks the bizness though..color wise Outside the wheels and badging hard to tell it from a regular 992S or even base 992 car with the widebody change especially.
Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I loved my 991.2 S! But replaced it with a 991.2 GTS because I HAD to have a GTS. And I regretted it. The added power was all in the top end. Which I didnt spend much time in going 0- speed limits in suburbia. So it honestly didnt feel as snappy as my 991.2S for street driving. YES it was faster overall. But it didnt feel faster down low. The bigger turbos also didn't make spooling sounds as much as my S versions did (which makes sense because they are bigger turbos). And the center locks which I HAD to have where a nightmare. Wheels were 10-12K, options where limited. Mine had alcantera and that got old REAL quick as a daily driver. I will never get a GTS again. And with pricing as high as it is now, Id rather save up for a Turbo with 5 lugs. To me the 992 GTS doesnt make sense in its price point.
Really does not...given the now narrowed difference between the two cars, the very likely appearance of ADMs to even get one, the COVID19 delays....can't see it. I like the short shifter but hell I'll just order it and have my dealer install it like I did with my 2014 Cayman S....bought the Cayman GTS/GT4 shifter and it was swap and shift easy. Other aesthetic bits if I want if fit just need a part number. But otherwise the proposition and items you BIGWORM and a few others mention make this car an interesting proposition IF you already have a 992S or even if you were in the market depending on what your shopping criteria and budget are. My 2 cents.
Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I’m personally a bit torn. I like what they did as the previous GTS cars were mostly an options package but now with revised suspension and larger brakes it seems a bit more. I currently awaiting an allocation for a C2S but considering swapping to a GTS. The biggest question that remains to me is if there is a significant suspension difference with the 992 Turbo/rear helper spring design. Is it significantly stiffer and if so is that trade off worth the possible better compliance/control? Dont want centerlocks, dont want alcantara, dont need more power, dont really want more noise and dont really care for larger brakes/more unsprung weight as a daily driver street car. Hoping some reviews come out soon that will talk about some driving impressions/feel until then I think I will save 15k and stick with the C2S manual.
That is what I did....got my CS when I did at a price that made sense. Optioned how I like. I think many who are optioning the GTS now that the configurator is out are finding that a similarly spec'd C2S is running about $7-10k below a GTS equipped the same. Those who lose their minds on options (most not needed) find the difference to be even more! Add in the very likely ADMs (have already heard two friends quote ADM's of $5k and $15k respectively) from their SA's to get on the list NOT a car but a chance to be offered one in what they are saying is 8-12 mos given the line which is past a dozen deep and current COVID19 issues which are still affecting the production lines and delivery delays! So let me get this right...$10k difference on average for a car that has LESS differences than the 992S than previously AND another $15-15K just to get the car IF I am luckly and I'll see it maybe by Summer 2022....yeah Porsche are marketing geniuses! Agree with you TrackJunke...no thanks.
^^^ I get all that and don't disagree but every SPEC I have built for a C2S is so close to the price of the same model C2GTS. I'd rather have a special model AND with the specs I want. That's the thing, it's what I want. And what You want you will get. That's the beauty of choice that Porsche has given us, with a hefty price. Genius.

I tuned my 991.2 4S because I regretted not waiting for the GTS, that was a mistake and blew up the fuel pressure regulator and bricked my ECU. I'm sooo done with ECU tuning and settling for less than what I want. Brand new 2022 GTS (if I should be so lucky to get an allocation) is what I desire for $150k, it's a steal compared to my 2018 C4S 148k.
Nice but problem in the US will likely be ADM and finding a dealer who will sell you a car with that $2k delta is gonna be difficult along with waiting lists for those who have not fully analyzed the differences in the two models and also their needs and driving styles and economics of the purchase/acquisition of the car. Most 911's have performance way past what any of us need or can utilize so at some point it just becomes wants, ego/bragging rights and to some degree a higher resale value.
Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I found that the GTSness of the GTS are things I don't want, the Race-Tex everywhere unless you option back to leather, the wheel options or lack thereof, the clear taillight and black badging, so for me, the benefits of the specialness of the GTS I would find myself spec'ing the car back to Carrera S for the most part. Unless you want the buckets and other GTS package details, similar to the 718 GTS 4.0 package, I think the GTS is geared towards a specific buyer.
Agree 3rdpedal...lots of things some do not want that the GTS has and is part of the selling point of the car from Porsche to the GTS faithful. Likely owners are target audience of those who've had one before and those who always wanted one or those who got the S or base instead. That makes sense for the previous car given differences between base and S and GTS...now not so sure given the differences have narrowed as you suggest. Add to it some of those things can be added aftermarket from dealerships parts dept easily albeit some less costly when done at the factory.
If you don't want the bigger brakes and more power then the GTS won't make sense.
Bingo...see post below and my analysis as a 996, 997.1, 997.2, 991 prior owner and current 992 owner.
I agree with that. If you can get one without ADM, the GTS is a much better value proposition. If I could trade my C2S currently being built fot a GTS allocation, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Yes the GTS seems to have previously been that the value proposition from parts and looks as you got the wide body, the parts, and special look as well as GTS badging and extra $$ that folks were willing to pay for it. Now not so...I think vs what the S is not the real step up has converted to the Turbo and Turbo S in terms of performance and without the wide body difference between the GTS and S now for the most part the parts upgrades are seats, and some HP. Other parts can likely be put on an S given the part numbers (lights+interior bit+sport design) for a good part of the GTS experience in the 992. The extra HP is what 30hp or so...torque likely a slight bump but again more than ANY of us can use on the streets at legal speeds....that is the real thing here for all those fawning over the HP difference as a reason to upgrade or swap over outside of the "GTS" name and value proposition on sell/trade...the hp is likely something none of us outside of track junkies or professional drivers can tell or utilize so what does that make the GTS upgrade wise? I think a bit less than previously....targeted towards a specific buyer component but one that if you do a side by side comparison shrinks considerably w.992 models when you compare MUST have feature differences and price points. ADM also will play a HUGE factor for likely the majority of those in the current GTS market..making the advantage of getting one even less IMHO.
For once Nick got it mostly right I think. Sometimes he doesn't but always entertaining.
Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don’t think anything is official until you’re assigned a commission number.
Yep without a commision number followed by said deposit all you did was give the dealership some interest free working capital/loan. No commission number=no car as far as Porsche AG is concerned.
Originally Posted by hinckley
Only if you want to remove them. Then you need specialized tools and knowledge. I have them. I love the looks. I'd NEVER attempt to remove them myself.
Which is why quite a few owners decide to swap them out for 5 lugs in previous models. Too much of an issue for a car that was driven more than just one or two weekends a year. Friend of mine had one 991.1 and tried to daily drive the car in an area of not too great roads and said that was a huge mistake. Fear of tire damage and the requisite trip to the nearest dealership got him stranded more than once. So he paid the price to swap them back to 5 lugs which he said made maintenance and emergency service much easier and left centerlocks for the track junkies.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:07 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I don't think that's it. I think that what's illuminated are the three angled vertical lines on the outer edge of the light modules.
Could be and that's what I thought too at first... But what are these two small red lines then? They don't exist in other 992 Porsche models, even if they have the "same" lights as the GTS... Who knows...Would be just too coincidental and I don't believe in such things when it comes to Porsche marketing.. One thing that's is sure is that we'll find out when the first GTSs start rolling out...

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 06-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:48 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 882 Posts

Has it been confirmed there are different or larger turbos like in the 991.2 series? Or same hardware and different tune?
Old 06-26-2021, 10:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Everyone is assuming you can’t get a GTS without an ADM. In certain markets, I’m sure that it’s unavoidable but I suspect that many (most?) people will be able to get a GTS without an ADM, and not just VIPs.

Historically, you could get a GTS with a discount, albeit less a discount than a C2S. Clearly we’re not back to that as the norm, but getting a GTS at sticker shouldn’t be an impossible dream.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Discussion