Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:03 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Most new buyers end up putting very few miles on a 911 relative to their SUVs and sedans.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:58 AM
ron4sc
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by P0RKY
Mate, never say never... apparently, Porsches (and particularly 911s) are habit forming and just one tankful short of requiring a "warning: addictive substance" label on them. Good luck with your purchase - I bet whatever you decide on, it'll leave you with a smile plastered on your face every time you get behind the wheel.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. It seems like it was only a short time ago that I looked at my first Rolex and said, "this is the only Rolex I'll ever want!"

Last edited by ron4sc; 03-01-2022 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
P0RKY (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 03:47 PM
Chadds
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 19 Posts

So are you holding that line, or are you going to scratch the Rolex itch again? I couldn’t stop at one!
Old 03-01-2022, 04:06 PM
ron4sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chadds
So are you holding that line, or are you going to scratch the Rolex itch again? I couldn’t stop at one!
I bought a Pepsi GMT in 2021. I swear THAT is the last Rolex I'm buying.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:17 PM
Chadds
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 19 Posts

Other than being addictive Rolex shares one other attribute with Porsche, that is the most desirable models are impossible to get. You maybe safe. 😀 I remember when my local Rolex dealer would call and say I’ve got this Sub, Daytona etc coming in do you want it? How things have changed.

Originally Posted by ron4sc
I bought a Pepsi GMT in 2021. I swear THAT is the last Rolex I'm buying.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:07 PM
ron4sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chadds
Other than being addictive Rolex shares one other attribute with Porsche, that is the most desirable models are impossible to get. You maybe safe. 😀 I remember when my local Rolex dealer would call and say I’ve got this Sub, Daytona etc coming in do you want it? How things have changed.
Yeah buying a Rolex tool watch makes buying a Porsche seem like they are in abundance. At least with a 911, I have a reasonable expectation that it will be in my driveway within 24 months!
P0RKY (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 12:39 AM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ron4sc
Yeah buying a Rolex tool watch makes buying a Porsche seem like they are in abundance. At least with a 911, I have a reasonable expectation that it will be in my driveway within 24 months!
I'm not much of a Horologist connoisseur but I'm really tempted by this piece by Tag Heuer...

Tag Heuer Carrera Porsche

Not surprisingly, it's out of stock ... just like the Porsches.
Mark S (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 01:13 PM
Spiffx
Pro

Received 702 Likes on 299 Posts

I sat on the fence for a bit before I finally committed to my build - just thought I'd share my perspective, pit falls & ultimately, how I came to my decision. There's no one size fits all, and what works for one will definitely not fit another, so please, no brickbats or hate or name calling. Just sharing.

These will be the first Porsches in my stable. The Cayenne was an easy build and decision, and I lost absolutely no sleep on it. Mainly because it was for Her Majesty, She Who Must Be Obeyed, For Whom the Toilet Seat will be returned to Its Original Position. It'll be her daily driver. Done & dusted in ½h after a good chat with a very friendly Sales Agent and a test drive with the wife & twins in the back. Easiest $170,000 the Sales Agent ever made (his words, not mine).

The 992 was one I flipped and flopped over and over.

I thought I'd start with a budget of $300,000 (damn the taxes in Australia) - which would get me a nicely loaded base Carrera 2, with all the bells and whistles. I rationalized that even the base Carrera would be more car than I would ever had the testicular fortitude to manhandle on public roads. That build came up to $304,819 - bang on budget. What a great start. I then started to worry that I would suffer from S envy, and despite never having given a flying f*ck to the opinions of people that don't matter one bit to me, I didn't want to be saddled with a purchase that would translate to a bad case of buyer's regret.

So, I upgraded my sights to the Carrera 2. And I initially thought I'd try to keep to the planned budget, which meant I'd take away some of the accoutrements that I'd spec'ed in the Carrera 2. Instead of Club Leather, I went with the interior full leather option. I contemplated removing the Adaptive Cruise Control (I decided to include them ultimately), saying to myself that the C2S would be a weekend driver, but I had to leave the Front Axle option intact, as Sydney's roads are beyond redemption in certain parts. That build came up to a whisker of that of the base Carrera: $338,314, not something that we didn't plan for - and thus I thought was where the story ended.

Until that itch that needed scratching happened again. This time, no thanks to the steady stream of venom and poison that was being IV'ed into my veins by the well-meaning folks on these esteemed forum pages. I caved in and gave a call to my agent to void my Carrera S order and put in a new one for the GTS. With the Tequipment Martini Livery (I like it, and felt that it wouldn't be too out of place on a GTS, where it might be a touch try hard for the base or S) - and I even bought the keyfob covers depicting the same from eBay. When the dust settled, the bill came up to $364,302 + $1884 for the Martini "go-faster" stickers = $366,186

Was there anything wrong with the base Carrera? Or even the Carrera S? Absolutely not. I've test driven both, back to back - and frankly, I can't tell one from the other (both were PDK-equipped), and at my age, I was never going to be baited to make a run at the traffic lights by a ricer in his pimped out S2000, or whatever the flavour is these days. Ultimately, it was down to what felt good to me, how big the smile on my face was - and how long it lasted - and whether I had the wallet-size big enough for my vehicular appetite (hey, money doesn't grow on trees).

Will I stop losing sleep over my decision? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that I'm not inclined towards getting my coccyx jackhammered by the track-biased set up of a GT3, so that's one itch I won't be scratching. The Turbo/Turbo S might be a Nullarbor annihilating cruise missile, but those babies will also rip a hole in my wallet bigger than I can swallow without choking. So, to quote a proverb, "beggars can't be choosers", but to put things into perspective, it's a happy First World Problem to chew on... and for now, I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself, despite being some $60,000 over budget.

Thanks for letting me share.
Best post I’ve read on rationale for a GTS. Perhaps because it resonates so much with me. I bought a base 911 that the dealer had available right away while I wait for my GTS allocation. I’m super happy with that base 911, but there are some things I want that are missing in that build. I must have built no less than 50 different iterations of the GTS, and still can’t decide. I hope I have my mind made-up by the time my allocation comes through.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiffx:
SAlexander (06-13-2022), Schwarz992C4S (05-15-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 01:26 PM
Spiffx
Pro

Received 702 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Any chance you can provide a source for this? I am actively trying to decide if upgrading to a GTS is worth it for me, and the only stuff I found actually suggests the S has historically lower depreciation per mile. 1st graph S, second graph GTS.

i watched the YouTube video on your second screenshot. The guy who did the video also conducted the same analyses and posted videos for all 911s. After “investing” all that time doing all the analyses he concluded that the GTS shows the lowest depreciation of the 911s (which he mentions a few times on that video). I didn’t watch all his other videos, and I don’t feel I need to watch them. I also didn’t spend enough time to fully understand his graphs and analyses. I’m comfortable trusting his conclusion and the many posts I’ve read here confirming that the GTS has lower depreciation.

I feel you might be overthinking this.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:01 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not much of a Horologist connoisseur but I'm really tempted by this piece by Tag Heuer...

Tag Heuer Carrera Porsche

Not surprisingly, it's out of stock ... just like the Porsches.
I like it even better with the leather strap.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:11 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffx
i watched the YouTube video on your second screenshot. The guy who did the video also conducted the same analyses and posted videos for all 911s. After “investing” all that time doing all the analyses he concluded that the GTS shows the lowest depreciation of the 911s (which he mentions a few times on that video). I didn’t watch all his other videos, and I don’t feel I need to watch them. I also didn’t spend enough time to fully understand his graphs and analyses. I’m comfortable trusting his conclusion and the many posts I’ve read here confirming that the GTS has lower depreciation.

I feel you might be overthinking this.

I suspect that any “depreciation” numbers quoted today, are based on used car numbers from 3-5 years ago. I don’t think they are relevant in today’s super-heated market, regardless of model. The trends may be the same…maybe? But as prices continue to skyrocket, what people are willing to pay for used cars costing more than what many of us paid just a year or two ago, may soften demand? time will tell?

Case in point - Many of us that bought our 911’s in 2020 or 2021, got between 4%-7% discount off the MSRP. We did NOT have to pay more than asking price (that some dealerships require, today), and in fact, usually paid significantly less. Just a few weeks ago, my SA called me up and offered to buy my 2021 992S for $30K over the MSRP (not the discounted price he gave me). I took delivery a year ago this month, and now have about 4K miles on the car.

So, what’s the “depreciation” in the first year? Hell if I know?

We live in crazy times.

My advice - If you can find the car you want at a price you can afford, then get it…and don’t worry about future depreciation…because those numbers could be misleading.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-14-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Spiffx (05-15-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:01 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by porsche1234; 06-10-2022 at 01:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by porsche1234:
Litigator (06-10-2022), sali1980 (06-10-2022), shrimp money (06-10-2022), vic55 (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:34 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Might as well do a lightly optioned base Turbo, 100 more horsepower.
Shaking my head... you can make this argument with every version of the 911. You could order a lightly optioned anything for less money than the model below it with lots of options. The GTS isn't for the majority of 911 owners, it's for the people who want better handling, lighter weight and more enthusiast options. The '18 way seats, Burmeister, cruise control and go half throttle for 5 seconds and call it a day crowd' are not intended for the GTS. I could also be 'that guy' and say you can just tune a 992 GTS to make over 600 HP. (that's what the Carrera S guys say they will do to not buy the GTS)
The following 2 users liked this post by porsche1234:
porscheprestige (06-10-2022), SAlexander (06-13-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:48 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Dealer in central Illinois recently had ADM of $125,000 “Market Adjustment” on GT3 on the floor….Yikes
Old 06-10-2022, 03:10 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Any chance you can provide a source for this? I am actively trying to decide if upgrading to a GTS is worth it for me, and the only stuff I found actually suggests the S has historically lower depreciation per mile. 1st graph S, second graph GTS.

I don’t get people who made these video and those who make car purchase decision based on these graphs.

Okay it tells you GTS costs $143/1000 miles more than the S. If you care about the extra $143 /1000, the $957/1000 miles on the S must be killing you. $957!!!

Btw, given where the economy is heading, I don’t know how these historical data points can tell you anything about the next few years.
blackmist27 (11-05-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Discussion