Sponsored by:

992 GTS Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 01:27 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Ouch. Yeah looking at what a comparable GTS will cost is sobering...mine built out around $167k. Can't go there for what it offers over my 992S...sorry. Badge aside really only I would know the difference a majority of the time...for the most part to the outside it will be another 911 to all who see it.
For $500-2500, a tune will get your S over the GTS HP. The other bits and limitations simply are not worth it. And honestly, my 911 is for me, not for other people. If it would cloak itself as a lexus or bmw (accords and camrys get stolen too much) the moment I locked it, I'd be happy to not draw attention to it in a parking lot. It's my car to drive, not to be seen in, or compare badges to. I have something TT/TTS drivers don't, a clutch. So it isn't a badge thing.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
For $500-2500, a tune will get your S over the GTS HP. The other bits and limitations simply are not worth it. And honestly, my 911 is for me, not for other people. If it would cloak itself as a lexus or bmw (accords and camrys get stolen too much) the moment I locked it, I'd be happy to not draw attention to it in a parking lot. It's my car to drive, not to be seen in, or compare badges to. I have something TT/TTS drivers don't, a clutch. So it isn't a badge thing.

Yes, agree with all points. That said, the 30HP bump for the GTS is not going to provide any noticeable, gut churning improvements. Need more like > 75hp + before you can say, wow, I really feel the difference. Nevertheless, I’ve now had a couple of chances to really test my 992S on some open, country roads…and in all honesty, for me, right now, I can’t use more HP in this car. It already exceeds my technical/ driver abilities.

Although once I start tracking, I might feel differently? In the past, I usually wait a year or two on other cars I’ve owned, before I started to experiment with the power and suspension. Gotta establish a base line before I mess with what I already feel is “goodness”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-05-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:03 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
+2 on this post. 100% agree and you don't have the lowered stance of the GTS which makes the wheels look like a guy who is wearing a hat that is 2 or 3 sizes too big. Save the low rider stuff for '60s era Impalas.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:11 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

lol this thread
The following 3 users liked this post by dhirm5:
Lander911 (11-05-2021), P9RSR (11-05-2021), rk-d (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 02:51 PM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes, agree with all points. That said, the 30HP bump for the GTS is not going to provide any noticeable, gut churning improvements. Need more like > 75hp + before you can say, wow, I really feel the difference. Nevertheless, I’ve now had a couple of chances to really test my 992S on some open, country roads…and in all honesty, for me, right now, I can’t use more HP in this car. It already exceeds my technical/ driver abilities.

Although once I start tracking, I might feel differently? In the past, I usually wait a year or two on other cars I’ve owned, before I started to experiment with the power and suspension. Gotta establish a base line before I mess with what I already feel is “goodness”.
Refreshing post. Nice to see another guy who is personally secure enough to acknowledge that a new 911 is more than his abilities allow him to take advantage of. I'd be lucky if I could utilize 60% of what most of this stuff can do. My C7 Z06 was in this same league. It scared me at times.
Good guy Bigdog.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by phaser
Refreshing post. Nice to see another guy who is personally secure enough to acknowledge that a new 911 is more than his abilities allow him to take advantage of. I'd be lucky if I could utilize 60% of what most of this stuff can do. My C7 Z06 was in this same league. It scared me at times.
Good guy Bigdog.
Thx.

From one of the best. I try to live my life by this creed:

Old 11-05-2021, 08:43 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
y mine came to 175. cabrio. no adm.
Might as well do a lightly optioned base Turbo, 100 more horsepower.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Good guy Bigdog.
To be honest most people can’t fully exploit a Miata. Anything more is just for fun. And why not?

That said, I would agree that it’s going to be hard to feel +30 HP. On that token, it doesn’t compute that the GTS is too much performance relative to the S.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:17 PM
P9RSR
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not really sure why this discussion is about hp

the thing with the GTS it's always been a specific trim with a better price than having to spec it from an S

This round you get a different brake and suspension setup lifted by the turbo, which I think it's why it's attractive to me personally
I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation gets some GT parts or better an NA engine like in the Cayman (but the latter prob not going to happen ever for performance and sales.reasons)

Clearly Porsche is going in the direction of setting the GTS line as a specific product rather than just trim, which I think it's great

Here's a good review this side of the pond https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...ts-2021-review

Last edited by P9RSR; 11-05-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:19 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

You guys trying to justify why a GTS worth more money than an S is like me telling myself a Turbo S isn’t worth $100k more than the GTS I ordered, because it’s out of my budget.

It’s ok boys, some of us can eat at Ruth Chris for $100, and some spend $500. The good thing is, we can both afford to eat there.

But there’s always someone that says they can make a better steak at home, for less.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
oshuwah (11-30-2021), P9RSR (11-06-2021), porsche1234 (06-10-2022)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:07 AM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by shrimp money
You guys trying to justify why a GTS worth more money than an S is like me telling myself a Turbo S isn’t worth $100k more than the GTS I ordered, because it’s out of my budget.

It’s ok boys, some of us can eat at Ruth Chris for $100, and some spend $500. The good thing is, we can both afford to eat there.

But there’s always someone that says they can make a better steak at home, for less.
There is a Ruth's Chris 10 minutes from where we live on the coast here in Bonitia Springs and we eat there regularly. I also buy whole prime tenderloins. I can without any doubt make a tenderloin dinner at home that is better than Ruth's Chris but cooking is also a hobby of mine. Both are equally enjoyable as well.

Last edited by phaser; 11-06-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:45 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

There is a Ruth's Chris 10 minutes from where we live on the coast here in Bonitia Springs and we eat there regularly. I also buy whole prime tenderloins. I can without any doubt make a tenderloin dinner at home that is better than Ruth's Chris but cooking is also a hobby of mine. Both are equally enjoyable as well.
Yes sir the best steaks, prime rib, barbecue and baked beans for that matter in my world come from right outside my back door! Also the coldest barley pops!

I think my GTS shall stand for gas, tires and steaks!

Last edited by icanthelpit; 11-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by shrimp money

I suspect many Porsche buyers can buy almost any Porsche they want, so for some, maybe many, it’s not about the cost…it’s about buying what makes sense, and what fits their lifestyle and what they want to do with the car (eg, daily driver or track car). We all have different criteria/priorities. Nobody is telling someone else their decision is wrong, because it isn’t.

The GTS is definitely a great car. How could it not be, it’s identical in looks and features, inside and out, to it’s sibling the 992S. It also offers modest improvements in HP (30HP) and breaking power (2 feet shorter stops from 70mph)…and a few other changes, such as the option to lighten the load. Got it. Cool.

My perspective was, and still is - The 992S is currently all the car I can handle. Maybe in another year or two I will feel differently and want more HP (but it will be considerably more than a bump of 30HP), or better handling…or whatever. Maybe a hybrid 911 (it’s coming, whether you like it or not)….I’m still a drag-strip kind of guy, so quickness gets my attention. At which point I’ll enter the “modifications portal”, or better yet, get a true track car, like the GT3. Who knows?

Porsche offers the GTS as an intermediary step between the S and it’s more expensive big brothers the Turbo S and/or GT3. But the reality is, the GTS is closer to the 992S than it is it’s bigger brothers. But for some, having that badge is important…whether you admit it, or not. All good. Since I de-badge all my cars, its a mute point for me. But to each their own.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-06-2021 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:54 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I suspect many Porsche buyers can buy almost any Porsche they want, so for some, maybe many, it’s not about the cost…it’s about buying what makes sense, and what fits their lifestyle and what they want to do with the car (eg, daily driver or track car). We all have different criteria/priorities. Nobody is telling someone else their decision is wrong, because it isn’t.

The GTS is definitely a great car. How could it not be, it’s identical in looks and features, inside and out, to it’s sibling the 992S. It also offers modest improvements in HP (30HP) and breaking power (2 feet shorter stops from 70mph)…and a few other changes, such as the option to lighten the load. Got it. Cool.

My perspective was, and still is - The 992S is currently all the car I can handle. Maybe in another year or two I will feel differently and want more HP, or better handling…or whatever. Maybe a hybrid 911 (it’s coming, whether you like it or not)….I’m still a drag-strip kind of guy, so quickness gets my attention. At which point I’ll enter the “modifications portal”, or better yet, get a true track car, like the GT3. Who knows?

Porsche offers the GTS as an intermediary step between the S and it’s more expensive big brothers the Turbo S and/or GT3. But the reality is, the GTS is closer to the 992S than it is it’s bigger brothers. But for some, having that badge is important…whether you admit it, or not. All good. Since I de-badge all my cars, its a mute point for me. But to each their own.
An S is nothing to scoff at. It is a fine machine and even better in 992 trim.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 01:51 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

…one can also argue that the 992 GT3’s place in the pecking order isn’t up there with the Turbo’s. The S and GTS cars are quicker on the street.

Not taking away from the GT3, but it’s a different kind of 911 experience.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Discussion