Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 04:59 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Good for you. I am glad you have pockets deep enough to cover all risks and any contingencies. But, many RL members do not. I think many 992 owners are looking to tune their cars in a few years when their factory warranties expire and/or after headers are installed first.
So, if I don’t have enough money to cover the risk of tuning when car is in warranty, why would this be different after the warranty expires? Would I somehow become magically richer by that time?
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
911Gr8tness (07-21-2022), dixonk (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 05:29 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by citrolene
Exactly.
Never understood the "Better wait until the warranty runs out before you tune". Why? Because you expect to have more money in a couple years in case something breaks?
Who here has ever busted a motor with an after market calibration from one of the reputable supporting tuner/venders here?
Not busted but I lost any and all support from manufacturer for any problems. Threatening with Magnussen Act did nothing. It was not so much who pays for it (I would have, no issue) but they did not want to touch my car with a 10ft pole anymore. Sold the car as it was ridiculous and I got tired of it. Car was great, no issue with tune itself. Friend of mine did have a blown engine but he also added some larger PTG turbo's, not just tune. He had to rebuilt and took the opportunity to upgrade the internals to forged.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:52 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Ok then those same rennlisters should wait till their warranty expires. Not everyone has the same levels of concern. It’s also not cool to bash on the guys who are not afraid to tune and venture into the unknown. If not for them the tuners would never advance the technology. And you guys who are on the fence would have nothing to be on the fence about. The Warranty Worriers do not support the guys who tune. That’s part of this entire argument. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen
Well, you apparently have not read all of my posts. My order of mod install will slowly be exhaust, headers, sport cats and then tune……as my bank account does not allow me to do it all at once. That will be maybe one mod a year for me. So, just how is that not supporting the tune guys???? I should not be allowed to participate in a tune discussion because I do not have it NOW? I think most tuners recommend doing the tune last anyway so all mods and changes can be accounted for in the tune. But doing the tune last also helps mitigate the warranty issue which is one of many factors to be considered because I agree with you that “Not everyone has the same levels of concern” or finances. Maybe you should look at the names of who is doing the perceived bashing to whom and then adjust your comments accordingly. Unfortunately, I do not have the coin to do exhaust, headers, sport cats and tune all at once, but I am glad for those of you who do. But, this thread is not just for those who currently have a tune as you and others colloquially suggest. The original thread encourages debate and discussion on that topic and that debate should always be professional and respectful on this forum. I think numerous members have forgotten that and have made the mistake of initiating personal attacks when they disagree with an opinion…..which is unprofessional and unfortunate.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:58 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
So, if I don’t have enough money to cover the risk of tuning when car is in warranty, why would this be different after the warranty expires? Would I somehow become magically richer by that time?
No….with limited funds my personal decision on how I want to spend MY money for MY car is exhaust, headers, sport cats then tune. I do not have the coin to do it all in one year. I think all the tuners suggest to do the other mods before the tune anyway, right? I did not realize this thread was exclusively only for those who currently have a tune as several on here suggest.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Did you ever ask yourself if a guy with such "limited funds" should be driving a 911 Porsche that cost well over 100 large in the first place as you cry poor multiple times in this thread.
This is a pretty di..head answer. I am sure people who have to save up for a 911 enjoy and deserve it just as much as people who don't recognize it in their bank account. Maybe they even enjoy it more as they need to sacrifice more for it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tobeit:
AlterZgo (07-20-2022), breny4104 (07-20-2022), Fullyield (07-20-2022), por356 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 08:03 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Well, you apparently have not read all of my posts. My order of mod install will slowly be exhaust, headers, sport cats and then tune……as my bank account does not allow me to do it all at once. That will be maybe one mod a year for me. So, just how is that not supporting the tune guys???? I should not be allowed to participate in a tune discussion because I do not have it NOW? I think most tuners recommend doing the tune last anyway so all mods and changes can be accounted for in the tune. But doing the tune last also helps mitigate the warranty issue which is one of many factors to be considered because I agree with you that “Not everyone has the same levels of concern” or finances. Maybe you should look at the names of who is doing the perceived bashing to whom and then adjust your comments accordingly. Unfortunately, I do not have the coin to do exhaust, headers, sport cats and tune all at once, but I am glad for those of you who do. But, this thread is not just for those who currently have a tune as you and others colloquially suggest. The original thread encourages debate and discussion on that topic and that debate should always be professional and respectful on this forum. I think numerous members have forgotten that and have made the mistake of initiating personal attacks when they disagree with an opinion…..which is unprofessional and unfortunate.
I’m not picking you indirectly, you were just the latest comment on how we should be worried. You do what you want and what you feel comfortable with. Just like I will. End of debate brother, and you clearly are not the guy who’s afraid to modify. Not having funds for mods is no reason to bash on a guy either. My main issue is people who don’t mod telling others how it’s a bad idea
The following 2 users liked this post by XrussianX:
breny4104 (07-20-2022), Tobeit (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 08:22 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Did you ever ask yourself if a guy with such "limited funds" should be driving a 911 Porsche that cost well over 100 large in the first place as you cry poor multiple times in this thread.
No question my 992S is the nicest and most expensive car I have ever owned. The build was way north of $100k which is the cash flow issue this year as I paid cash. Now, Soul/Ak exhaust, Soul headers, Soul/Ak sport cats and then a tune is about an additional $12k-15k, at least, depending on DIY install v. labor costs…..in the same year……so it is not a decision lightly made ………in my household, at least. Easier for me for many reasons to spread it out and judge the change in exhaust sound from each added component before I add the next one. I am glad for you that you are so flush you can do all four at once. Bravo for you and I understand your bragging. But, the narrow-minded attitude that RL members are not allowed to discuss a tune in someone else’s thread (you are not the OP and did not post the question) unless you currently have a tune is quite arrogant, IMHO. It is equally arrogant to argue that you cannot discuss a tune unless you can immediately afford a tune. Again, everyone does not wear the same size shoe or have the same bank roll. Some responses on here are raising the perception that some owners are insecure about their decision to install a tune because they are so defensive about it. When everyone is thinking the same,no one is thinking.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Not busted but I lost any and all support from manufacturer for any problems. Threatening with Magnussen Act did nothing. It was not so much who pays for it (I would have, no issue) but they did not want to touch my car with a 10ft pole anymore. Sold the car as it was ridiculous and I got tired of it. Car was great, no issue with tune itself. Friend of mine did have a blown engine but he also added some larger PTG turbo's, not just tune. He had to rebuilt and took the opportunity to upgrade the internals to forged.
That's a legit response. I can respect that. I have never had any mfg take this approach with any of my tuned cars. Which mfg was this that froze you out on all warranty work? That really sucks and they shouldn't have done that, but it is as I've told people - dealers generally don't give a S about Magnussen Moss Act b/c you'd have to sue them to get any recourse... and there is little money to be made for cases like this so you won't get an atty to do it on contingency... and you won't spend out of pocket thousands of dollars on atty fees to get them to fix something that would cost less than the atty fees.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:31 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tobeit
This is a pretty di..head answer. I am sure people who have to save up for a 911 enjoy and deserve it just as much as people who don't recognize it in their bank account. Maybe they even enjoy it more as they need to sacrifice more for it.
LOL. This is me! I'm sure I get massively more pleasure out of driving and admiring my hard earned 992 S than Manny Khoshbin does his Hermes/LV/Birken whatever the F Bugatti Chiron Super Duper Deluxe... b/c he can buy 10 of those easily if he wanted to and I can only afford one lowly 992 S.
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 10:49 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

I dont know that your car would take advantage of the added power of the headers, exhaust, and cats without the tune.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 10:49 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
That's a legit response. I can respect that. I have never had any mfg take this approach with any of my tuned cars. Which mfg was this that froze you out on all warranty work? That really sucks and they shouldn't have done that, but it is as I've told people - dealers generally don't give a S about Magnussen Moss Act b/c you'd have to sue them to get any recourse... and there is little money to be made for cases like this so you won't get an atty to do it on contingency... and you won't spend out of pocket thousands of dollars on atty fees to get them to fix something that would cost less than the atty fees.
AMG. Went all the way to Germany HQ escalaring and all I asked was help with troubleshooting as dealer had no idea what to do. Even local tuner shops told me they would not be able to do much but fix by elimination ake start replacing parts starting with the cheapest/easiest to replace or take a guess and swing for the fences. Car was just 3 years, 36k miles, Had stage 2. I just got tired of it dealing with it. Was my daily driver and did not have time and patience for that. Had funny stories along the way though.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattchow
I dont know that your car would take advantage of the added power of the headers, exhaust, and cats without the tune.
Good point! Should I do it in a different order?

Last edited by Fullyield; 07-20-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:10 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 315 Posts

Good point! ShouldI do it in a different order?
@mattchow probably knows more than I do but I'll give it a try... the cats and/or headers may necessitate a tune or you'll get CELs and it may not run right. You can do the slip-ons such as akropovic first without a tune and the stock tune can adjust. The cats and headers may need to be installed concurrent with the tune.

I can't speak for M-Engineering but I think they'll send you a new map without much hassle as you upgrade. So the order of things could be
  1. Cat back exhaust
  2. Tune
  3. Enjoy
  4. Headers and Cats

Last edited by breny4104; 07-20-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:14 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by breny4104
@mattchow probably knows more than I do but I'll give it a try... the cats and/or headers may necessitate a tune or you'll get CELs and it may not run right. You can do the slip-ons such as akropovic first without a tune and the stock tune can adjust. The cats and headers may need to be installed concurrent with the tune.

I can't speak for M-Engineering but I think they'll send you a new map without much hassle as you upgrade. So the order of things could be
  1. Cat back exhaust
  2. Tune
  3. Enjoy
  4. Headers and Cats
Thank you Sir!

Last edited by Fullyield; 07-20-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:18 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Got my package from M-Engineering. Setup took 2hrs with waiting for the return email with the flash. No warning lights, everything works as it should. Easily extra 100hp felt thru *** dyno. The engine rips with quite a bit more aggression at the top. I love it, thanks Charles and the team for coming up with this. Did a launch with cold tires, 1.2g’s👌🏻 Incredible
The following 3 users liked this post by XrussianX:
911Stiller (07-24-2022), Ah10 (07-21-2022), AlterZgo (07-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?